WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, i'm currently in discussions with Rob regarding replacing the tubes on my EMII Moon-Phase. This is technically the 1st Ball watch I owned and one of my favorites. I did purchase it used, but plan on keeping it for as long as it lasts. The lume has not completely gone, but it is fairly dim. I have a post on the forums showing the tube inconsistencies (Located Here)

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f239/ball-moon-phase-lume-question-1044104.html

Since, i'm quite sure there aren't very many people that have had this done (yet), I figured i'd make a post and let you all know about the process.

From what Rob has told me, they actually replace the entire dial. Since my Moon-Phase as a separate dial for the moon/stars, I asked him to check on the price for that as well.

Will post more when I have additional info to share.

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,581 Posts
Re: Lume Replacement

There are quite a few posts on this subject here. The price was reasonable per tube or to just replace a whole dial. I believe we were under $20 per tube and about $200 to change a whole dial.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

There are quite a few posts on this subject here. The price was reasonable per tube or to just replace a whole dial. I believe we were under $20 per tube and about $200 to change a whole dial.
Posts or topics? I couldn't find any using the general search thread function.

Anyway, if this is redundant information feel free to remove my thread. No worries.

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,581 Posts

Posts or topics? I couldn't find any using the general search thread function.

Anyway, if this is redundant information feel free to remove my thread. No worries.
It is discussed in several threads not just as a primary topic. Personally I'd let your watch go a few years since it it looks like one or two may have been replaced recently, and the rest are going strong and have many year of life(Not quite as dead as you may think). Curious what the inner disk cost on that and more curious if it would fit in the new model EII case.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'll definitely let everyone know what the cost is with the inner disk as well. I would really love for this watch to be at full luminescence though. Seeing how bright the hands are compared to the rest of the dial + moon/stars makes me wish it was new. I know it still has probably 5 or so years before it really starts to fade, but it such a beautiful looking watch that I plan on keeping for awhile. I really don't mind spending the money on it, considering the reason I fell in love with it to begin with was partially due to the lume. I personally think it's worth it and that's all that matters right?. ;-)

Anyway, I still think this is a good thread for discussion and might provide updated info on replacement of the tubes and/or dial. Who knows, prices may have gone up since the last post regarding this issue...

·
Registered
8,834 Posts

Your thread raises a couple of interesting questions.

First, you say that Ball would prefer to replace the dial, which is all well and good, providing they have the dial for your watch (and it sounds like they do). However, for most folks, they wouldn't be replacing their tubes until quite a few years after purchase, at which time there likely will be no dials left in stock, particularly for those watches long discontinued. To prove a point here, for the Fireman I, out of production now for 5 or 6 years or so, Ball no longer has dials in stock (or at least the "good" ones)--Rob checked for me when I was looking to switch out one dial for another--so at some point, Ball still will need to be able to replace the tubes on existing dials--I believe a few members here have in fact already had this done, for one reason or another.

The second question, if your watch is just a few years old, I really doubt you will see a huge difference--year to year lume loss is negligible, online photos are inconsistent in terms of relative intensities, at best, and I don't think your model was all that bright to begin with (I owned one of the original moonphases and sold it because it didn't have ANY t-tubes on the off hours (1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11))--not sure it is worth the money NOW (whatever the price may be) to re-lume, though it might of course make sense further on down the line--after all, this is just a watch, and night lume, while cool, is, well, just night lume--a slightly different amount of intensity I don't think is going to be all that discernable.

Whatever route you take, best of luck.

Peter

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm curious if the dial they have sitting in stock is going to have new tubes placed in it before they ship it out, or has it been sitting on a shelf for who knows how long with the preinstalled tubes already years old?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Peter and Moffett, excellent points!

1. I don't even know if they have the dial. This is the same original moon-phase you were referring to (without the lume on the off hours). When I originally was trying to locate the watch I had a few people contact Ball and they had nothing in stock. While this doesn't necessarily mean they don't have the dials stocked, it very well could, since you stated having the same issue. If that is the case, then I would have to have the tubes replaced individually. And what about the moon/stars dial? Would they also not have that in stock?

Peter, here is a pic of the watch witch shows the difference in intensity between the hands and the numbers. From what I have seen (online and what another member has posted) the hands and numbers should be at the same brightness. Mine are significantly dimmer, almost hard to read at night. This is why I am assuming the lume has indeed faded. If you look at the middle of the 3 that would appear to be what the level should indeed be for all of the numbers. I know this is just cosmetic and maybe most people feel it doesn't matter, but it does to me.

moonphase_2_20140615_1504360125.jpg

2. As to what Moffett stated this also brings up an interesting question... If it is easier to replace the dial itself, that would mean the tubes are most likely already placed on it. If that is indeed true, than wouldn't they also be as old as the original?

hmm... Will follow up with Rob and see what he can find out.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Interesting thread, and great follow up answers. Yes, I see the difference in lumes in the dial as you are suggesting, though I still don't think I would go about replacing them yet--aren't the moon and star lumes regular luminova (i.e. not t-tubes)? If so, not sure getting an new OLD stock lumed moonphase wheel to replace your original lumed moonphase wheel will make much of a difference, and yes, Moffett makes an excellent point about the fact that the dial likely has t-tubes as old as yours, if one could be found. Look forward to hearing more once you get some answers.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
1. I don't even know if they have the dial. This is the same original moon-phase you were referring to (without the lume on the off hours). When I originally was trying to locate the watch I had a few people contact Ball and they had nothing in stock. While this doesn't necessarily mean they don't have the dials stocked, it very well could, since you stated having the same issue. If that is the case, then I would have to have the tubes replaced individually. And what about the moon/stars dial? Would they also not have that in stock?
Hm, strange. Someone had a issue related to replacements dials in another forum and I ended up contacting Ball through their website about this specific watch to confirm their policies. I asked if they would have replacement parts, dials in particular, still available in 5-10 years and they said "Such parts should indeed be available if service is requested."

Interesting thread, and great follow up answers. Yes, I see the difference in lumes in the dial as you are suggesting, though I still don't think I would go about replacing them yet--aren't the moon and star lumes regular luminova (i.e. not t-tubes)? If so, not sure getting an new OLD stock lumed moonphase wheel to replace your original lumed moonphase wheel will make much of a difference, and yes, Moffett makes an excellent point about the fact that the dial likely has t-tubes as old as yours, if one could be found. Look forward to hearing more once you get some answers.
The moonphase disc does have tritium tubes in it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i'm still waiting to hear back from Rob. I'll give him a call Monday.
Citizen V is correct, the moon/starts are tubes on my watch.

Good to know they will still have dials for these watches many years later. Unfortunately, I'm having a difficult time finding out when this watch was sold/made... Anyone know how to read Czech? ;-)
I'm assuming Ball has records based on the serial number.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
...Good to know they will still have dials for these watches many years later...
Did I miss something? I think that at least for the watches now out of production, the opposite is more likely true, with occasional exceptions (I am guessing there may be a few extra parts for those watches that didn't sell well, thus less in circulation, less requiring repair, and maybe a few old stock pieces left over). Unfortunately Ball seems to keep reinventing the wheel each year, often times abandoning products even when they seemed to have finally got it right, in favor of often questionable "updates" or new entries. I think it will be the luck of the draw at best whether a watch dial will be available "many years later" for any given model--apparently none are available for the early Fireman watches, just five or six years down the road...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is what Citizen V was told by Ball in his post.
Whether or not it is true (big question mark) I will find out when Rob confirms if the dial is still available.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
"Citizen V: Hm, strange. Someone had a issue related to replacements dials in another forum and I ended up contacting Ball through their website about this specific watch to confirm their policies. I asked if they would have replacement parts, dials in particular, still available in 5-10 years and they said "Such parts should indeed be available if service is requested."

Don't want to make waves, so just to clarify my own statement on this, Rob (Ball Authorized Dealer, of course) contacted Ball a year ago with regards to replacing the original Fireman dial, just out of production by 4 or 5 years at the time, and found that there were no longer any dials available--so, again, this appears to be more a luck of the draw issue, and that in fact, for some models, the statement of availability of parts 5 or 10 years down the road has already been proven wrong.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
"Citizen V: Hm, strange. Someone had a issue related to replacements dials in another forum and I ended up contacting Ball through their website about this specific watch to confirm their policies. I asked if they would have replacement parts, dials in particular, still available in 5-10 years and they said "Such parts should indeed be available if service is requested."

Don't want to make waves, so just to clarify my own statement on this, Rob (Ball Authorized Dealer, of course) contacted Ball a year ago with regards to replacing the original Fireman dial, just out of production by 4 or 5 years at the time, and found that there were no longer any dials available--so, again, this appears to be more a luck of the draw issue, and that in fact, for some models, the statement of availability of parts 5 or 10 years down the road has already been proven wrong.

Yeah as frequently as Ball seems to discontinue models, I doubt they would keep many spares around. Of course the issue also being if they had a replacement dial, the tubes would likely be nearly as old as the ones needing replacement thus making dial replacement a moot point unless the dial itself was somehow damaged. I remember way back when Jeff Hess, Jeremy and others from Ball Watch USA were active on this forum, the statement was made that tube replacement would be a cheap, quick and easy thing that could be done at the time of service. IIRC, nothing was ever mentioned about having to replace an entire dial because of tubes. I'm sure a deep enough search would uncover that old thread.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I own the original dial Night Train with the rare blue tubes. If ever I send it back to Ball, I better be able to get the same tube color arrangement!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts