WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Having a bit of an issue with Ball. Rob can not get a straight answer from the rep regarding whether they can replace the individual tubes or the dial.
Basically he (The Ball Rep) stated they do not 'usually' replace individual tubes and their process would be to exchange the entire dial. Rob and I then proceeded to discuss all of the points made here regarding the age of the dials in stock and availability of some of the older discontinued models. After a lengthy discussion, we determined it would be best to send the watch to Rob and have it shipped to Ball USA headquarters in Florida. If they can not resolve the issue there, I guess it would have to go to Switzerland.

This still brings up the point of does Ball have every dial in stock? TimeFleas says 'no'...
and what of people that have an issue with only a single tube? Are they going to replace them with one of equal brightness or will they be significantly brighter than the rest of the tubes on the watch (like my #3 and #6 numerals)?

I really wonder how many watches they've actually done a full replacement on of all the tubes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Update:

So after a month or so being without my watch Rob finally received a reply back from Ball.

1. They will not replace the individual tubes with new ones.
2. They will only replace the entire dial.
3. They do have my dial in stock.
4. It will take 12 weeks to replace the dial (After they receive the parts) WHAAAAATTT??????

We are about to find out if that means a dial 'with equally old tubes' or 'new ones'.
So, basically if they will only replace the dial with an old one, in 15 or so years all of the tubes will be dead regardless, including the dials they would use to exchange with ours.
We are about to find out if Ball is full of it in regards to replacing the tubes once they have died and if the watch is basically done after the lume has faded.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I agree. :-(
I also think the answer Ball is going to give is the obvious one, but I will wait to hear it from their mouths 1st before I let everyone know.
Rob is also very interested in what they say.

If they indeed will only exchange the dials with a 10-15 year (or equally old) replacement part, then I don't think I could justify purchasing any of the more expensive watches from Ball's line.
No reason to spend that much money on a watch that will lose its most prominent feature down the road.

Oh and my watch also needs a tune up.... 350$

I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear anything, Rob emailed them back asking about the dial age question and also if they would visually test the lume on the replacement to ensure it is brighter than mine.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I agree. :-(
I also think the answer Ball is going to give is the obvious one, but I will wait to hear it from their mouths 1st before I let everyone know.
Rob is also very interested in what they say.

If they indeed will only exchange the dials with a 10-15 year (or equally old) replacement part, then I don't think I could justify purchasing any of the more expensive watches from Ball's line.
No reason to spend that much money on a watch that will lose its most prominent feature down the road.

Oh and my watch also needs a tune up.... 350$

I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear anything, Rob emailed them back asking about the dial age question and also if they would visually test the lume on the replacement to ensure it is brighter than mine.

Fingers crossed.
Good for you to take one for the team. Soon or later Ball will have to address this head on. Especially they are making a big push to gain more market shares. Waiting for updates with anticipations. :think:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Just a thought here... But maybe when they say "after they receive parts" they mean tubes. Perhaps Ball has the dials but they have to order the tubes for the dial from the manufacturer. If that's the case I would suspect that the gas tubes from the manufacturer would be new and Ball is just installing them in their dials and hands. I have no evidence to support my theory but this might be what they mean by "after they receive the parts".

Just a thought...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just a thought here... But maybe when they say "after they receive parts" they mean tubes. Perhaps Ball has the dials but they have to order the tubes for the dial from the manufacturer. If that's the case I would suspect that the gas tubes from the manufacturer would be new and Ball is just installing them in their dials and hands. I have no evidence to support my theory but this might be what they mean by "after they receive the parts".

Just a thought...
Well, that would actually make more sense considering the timeframe. That would be very cool indeed if that is the case. I'll let you all know as soon as Rob has more info for me.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Those of us with lots of multi-color tubes, like mine with 63 in the original GEN I Night Train, await patiently for how this will ultimately be resolved.

I seem to recall the Ball representatives at the time, some seven years ago now since I purchased the Night Train, saying that there would be no issue at all with tube replacement and that it was rather routine. We shall see...

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,581 Posts
I want to note we have a few instances that tubes were replaced by Ball already under warranty or for other circumstances. None were total updates of all tubes though. Now way down the road 25+ years from 2002 (Which I believes some of the first GTLS watches came from Ball) a full solution will be needed. Now it is a spot occurrence here or there. I will admit the OP situation was strange, but also the only occurrence I've seen of tubes with easily perceivable variances in brightness.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Well, that would actually make more sense considering the timeframe. That would be very cool indeed if that is the case. I'll let you all know as soon as Rob has more info for me.
I will be interested to see how this turns out as well. It will likely determine whether I buy more Ball watches in the future and hold onto what I've already got.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Called Rob today and left a message. Hopefully Ball has gotten back to him, but I'm assuming he probably hasn't heard anything and called them again asking for an update. He's usually very good at getting back in touch quickly.
Anyway, I'll most likely have a response for you all shortly.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
OK well I have some good news, for me...
Ball will replace both the main dial and subdial (mood phase) and it will include all new tubes. This was a direct response from a Customer Care Exec in Switzerland.

I asked Rob if he could get any more detail about their policy for total replacement, but he doesn't think they are going to share that info and probably will address it on a case by case basis.
So, I asked if he would inquire about a total replacement for my moon-glow just to see if they are willing to do a replacement for that (not that it needs one) too.
I was hoping they would share more info about the process. Rob seems to agree that they probably ship out an empty dial to a 3rd party manufacturer who then puts in the new tubes.

Anyway, this watch is costing me almost what I paid for it initially, but at least will be with me for a long time now.

I'll update as I get more info.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The saga continues... The watch is now on it's way back to Switzerland. When they were doing the routine service they stated it had 'Shock Damage' that could not be repaired at the US service center. This watch has now traveled to more places in the world than I have.

My watch collection feels incomplete without it. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
I will be interested to see how this turns out as well. It will likely determine whether I buy more Ball watches in the future and hold onto what I've already got.
i wondering the same, i just wish to buy a Ball watch, but if this kind of problem in next 10/15/25 years, maybe i need to re-consider to buy any Ball watch.

OK well I have some good news, for me...
Ball will replace both the main dial and subdial (mood phase) and it will include all new tubes. This was a direct response from a Customer Care Exec in Switzerland.

I asked Rob if he could get any more detail about their policy for total replacement, but he doesn't think they are going to share that info and probably will address it on a case by case basis.
So, I asked if he would inquire about a total replacement for my moon-glow just to see if they are willing to do a replacement for that (not that it needs one) too.
I was hoping they would share more info about the process. Rob seems to agree that they probably ship out an empty dial to a 3rd party manufacturer who then puts in the new tubes.

Anyway, this watch is costing me almost what I paid for it initially, but at least will be with me for a long time now.

I'll update as I get more info.
the cost almost what u paid initially?.. that cost a lot! like buying a new watch....

I'm sort of worried after reading this thread, cuz if u guys have this kind of problem with service centre and it took so long to repair/change the tubes, i wonder how hassle it would be in my country, Malaysia, as we don't service centre as u do in USA....

21 - 40 of 51 Posts