WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been an avid collector of many watches over many years I am still under 50 and these days collect dive watches ( My dad bought me my first when I was seven it was huge I must have led the way in fashion all those years ago . I was truly the first with a ridiculous sized watch even at seven years old )

BUT .... Having been around the forums for a long time what is this obsession with lume why is this a deal breaker for so many ? I for one can see any of my watches in a dark room when I wake up and if thats late who gives a damn as its daylight .

The new watches glow and the older ones dont so much, but why are so many on here obsessed with it ? Why is it a key part of the watch for so many ? I for one could not give a damn and it sure as hell wont make or break a deal .

Have I missed something here ? am I missing what lume does ? Is it just a race to see who can have the most glowing watch in a dark room? are there competitions I dont know about ? is it a manhood issue ?

Help me to understand .. My life is clearly not complete

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
If your diving and its dark then the lume is a major factor.
That's correct, and for the other 99% of us it's not just a night time need; it's also daytime want, as we exclaim, discreetly to ourselves: "the minute indices were white, and now they glow green!!! Oh but that's superficial so I need keep hush hush about that" and stiff upper lip it to: "Need use at night, never know when might need when lights go out."

I refuse to insult a watch by making lume a deal breaker.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Two reason for me -
1. Night dives
2. Applying good lume is a simple production step. It drives me crazy that so many "dive" watches don't bother to do it.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Why the need to understand why other people prefer good lume? The answer is simple - to be able to see the time more clearly when it is dark. Some people prefer large watches vs small watches - do you also need to understand their motivation behind that? The way I see it, good lume completes a watch design and if its going to have lume, why not use the best and the brightest out there - the cost vs poor lume is minimal during the manufacturing process. To me, I see a certain amount of care put into the design and versatility of a diver if something like C3 or BGW9 is used.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Any situation in the dark - camping, driving at night, roadside problem, helming a yacht during night shift, etc. - should benefit from good lume.

I don't want to fumble with a torch or a cellphone in any such cases. Just a turn of the wrist should be enough. I want the same benefit from my wrist watch in the dark as in the light.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It became a purchase criteria because it's something people can evaluate.

When someone show a new watch, you can be sure that two post later someone will ask: "How's the lume?" or "Is the lume as good as on a Seiko?".

As you, I don't give a damn. If I would ever dive I wouldn't use a watch anyway but I dedicated instruments. A bright lume is useless for me.

I also find excessive lume rather ugly. I don't like my watch to turn into a fluorescent futuristic toy as soon as it gets dark. Quite often, when I'm in a low light environment - like a theater or a restaurant - I'm annoyed by this green glow. I feel like a kid showing of with his Batman watch.

Have I missed something here ? am I missing what lume does ? Is it just a race to see who can have the most glowing watch in a dark room? are there competitions I dont know about ? is it a manhood issue ?
I guess so.

Strangely 20 years ago, nobody cared about lume. Many historic dive watches had very limited lume, sometimes just a little dot on the hands...

What I find funny is that some people believe they can better read time with very large lume hours markers. It's the opposite: the larger the marker (or hands) the more difficult it gets to know precisely what time is it.

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
Any situation in the dark - camping, driving at night, roadside problem, helming a yacht during night shift, etc. - should benefit from good lume.

I don't want to fumble with a torch or a cellphone in any such cases. Just a turn of the wrist should be enough. I want the same benefit from my wrist watch in the dark as in the light.
I agree with this statement. For me it's practical use is when camping mostly, as I have not been night diving for quite a few years. But also it is just very cool to look at and that's enough of a reason for me. A lot of the reason that people buy diving watches for is a cool factor, especially those who don't even dive; and what's wrong with that?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Agree with all above mentioned reasons, but what about the simple " cool factor " !!! How cool does it look when you walk indoors after being outside, and just go about your business, and someone comes up to you and says" "WOW that is really cool man, your watch, look at your watch!" I know, it's really cool.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

+1 As well :)

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Strangely 20 years ago, nobody cared about lume. Many historic dive watches had very limited lume, sometimes just a little dot on the hands...
I think the recent advances in lume technology have made it easier to have great lume on a watch. Not sure what was available 20+ years ago. Many historic cars didn't have airbags or stability control, this does not make them useless on current automobiles.:-d

Seriously though, I admit that it is partially the child in me that loves great lume on my watches. I often switch to my Orange Monster or Bluering before I put my children to bed because they always comment. Like others, if I am dropping serious coin on a dive watch, I expect the bezel to have a nice feel, and the lume to be bright, despite the fact that I live 1000 miles from a coast.

You also never know when you could be attacked by Zombies, nuclear winter, or the other scenarios debated on the Public forum.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I think the recent advances in lume technology have made it easier to have great lume on a watch. Not sure what was available 20+ years ago. Many historic cars didn't have airbags or stability control, this does not make them useless on current automobiles.:-d

Seriously though, I admit that it is partially the child in me that loves great lume on my watches. I often switch to my Orange Monster or Bluering before I put my children to bed because they always comment. Like others, if I am dropping serious coin on a dive watch, I expect the bezel to have a nice feel, and the lume to be bright, despite the fact that I live 1000 miles from a coast.

You also never know when you could be attacked by Zombies, nuclear winter, or the other scenarios debated on the Public forum.
Agreed +! on the Zombie factor ;)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have been an avid collector of many watches over many years I am still under 50 and these days collect dive watches ( My dad bought me my first when I was seven it was huge I must have led the way in fashion all those years ago . I was truly the first with a ridiculous sized watch even at seven years old )

BUT .... Having been around the forums for a long time what is this obsession with lume why is this a deal breaker for so many ? I for one can see any of my watches in a dark room when I wake up and if thats late who gives a damn as its daylight .

The new watches glow and the older ones dont so much, but why are so many on here obsessed with it ? Why is it a key part of the watch for so many ? I for one could not give a damn and it sure as hell wont make or break a deal .

Help me to understand .. My life is clearly not complete
**Most importantly-night lume! It distracts my Wife from seeing the Camera light is on...LOL! Joke! My Wife reads half of my posts ;)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
simple answer: because super bright lume just looks cool!
:-!

·
Banned
4,512 Posts
The most realistic answer is the cool factor after that is mostly just excuses to not admit that people just like it. Even the weak lume shows well in the middle of the night, old eyes being more of a factor in actually being able to make out the time. I also find it amusing when people think it's a tactical thing, the last thing I would ever want in a tactical situation is a glowing target on my arm. Night diving? The last thing I care about is my watch, computer backlight and lume on a compass rate a lot higher in my book.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
The way I see it, good lume completes a watch design and if its going to have lume, why not use the best and the brightest out there
Agree 100% I have watches that don't have any lume by design that I like very much. Not every watch needs to have lume. However, if you're going to put lume on the watch, put the best available. It really bothers me to have very weak, mostly useless lume on a new watch.

Happily, almost all of my watches have great lume - certainly long/bright enough to be seen if I wake up at night. Only a couple aren't that great, and those are my oldest ones about 10 years old. Not sure what was available back then, and they are still visible if I wake up, they're just not as bring as my newer ones.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
If your diving and its dark then the lume is a major factor.
This. I think if your diving in general, good lume is a must. IMO, this is one factor where digital watches become a bit more practical. Just press the G....

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Its not a deal breaker for me. I like lume and find it useful, but I certainly wouldnt exclude a watch for consideration because it lacks lume. My Breitling Seawolf had no lume to speak of new and my Submariner lume has faded to non-existant over the years, but i still cherish both watches.

But when I wear my Seiko or Omega, it is like 'wow' that is bright.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts