WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you explain, or show me via a link, how the Luminor ...... Crown works in order to maintain a depth rating of 300m?

Anyone have SCUBA diving shots of it underwater?

·
4,085 Posts
Are you worried that your watch won't really be WR to 300m?

There are two rubber gaskets on the shaft of the crown, when the crown lever pushes down on the crown, it activates these seals against the inside of the crown tube.

I've seen a pic somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Water resistant to 300m doesnt mean the watch can take 300m as far as I know. Correct me if Im wrong. I think you can dive to normal depths such as 20-40m.
However, that secured crown makes the Panerai safer to diving as the crown is ussually the weakness of a watch when it comes to diving.

As a referance a watch has to be over 200m so it can be considered a diving watch. If its just 100m you shouldnt dive with it, maybe just a swim. just to give you an ideea about what those 300m mean.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think someone had posted before that the watch can actually surpass 300m.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i think the important aspect to consider is... 300 meters is 31 atmospheres of pressure.

so maybe the watch can do it, but you certainly can't.

well, i guess you could do it once.

(ps, i take it back. i just googled-- the deepest dive record in the guiness records is 318m. so it's survivable. i wonder if johan beukes wears a watch?)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Created in the early 1940s to meet the Italian Navy's need for a watch that was reliable, resistant and easy to read underwater, still today the Luminor watch keeps the original distinctive features. It has the essential time-measuring functions, hours and minutes, and is equipped with a hand-wound mechanical movement transformed by Panerai according to the criteria of the Swiss watchmaking tradition and the quality standards of the brand.The Luminor Base is water-resistant to 300 metres but tested to 400 metres. It is equipped with a handcrafted large size leather strap and fitted with a steel or titanium tongue buckle.

http://www.panerai.com/s_page.xpd?id_lingua=2&id_sezione=20&id_categoria=33

·
G-Shock Mod
14,399 Posts
if i remember it correctly, ISO rating requires diver's watch to be testing up to 125% of its depth rating

so Paneria is doing above and beyond its rating already

·
Registered
664 Posts
Created in the early 1940s to meet the Italian Navy's need for a watch that was reliable, resistant and easy to read underwater, still today the Luminor watch keeps the original distinctive features. It has the essential time-measuring functions, hours and minutes, and is equipped with a hand-wound mechanical movement transformed by Panerai according to the criteria of the Swiss watchmaking tradition and the quality standards of the brand.The Luminor Base is water-resistant to 300 metres but tested to 400 metres. It is equipped with a handcrafted large size leather strap and fitted with a steel or titanium tongue buckle.

http://www.panerai.com/s_page.xpd?id_lingua=2&id_sezione=20&id_categoria=33
I read this info too but when I had a problem with another watch in the past the service guys explained to me that the watches couldnt take this depths.
The other watch I had a problem with had a limit of 100m and in fact this means that is suitable for swimming, not diving or long periods of time under water (valid for all brands). On the same note, the guys explained to me that this waterresistant limits are not to be taken mot-a-mot. They are just gradations agreed in the watch industry.
Maybe with the PAM is another story.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I read this info too but when I had a problem with another watch in the past the service guys explained to me that the watches couldnt take this depths.
The other watch I had a problem with had a limit of 100m and in fact this means that is suitable for swimming, not diving or long periods of time under water (valid for all brands). On the same note, the guys explained to me that this waterresistant limits are not to be taken mot-a-mot. They are just gradations agreed in the watch industry.
Maybe with the PAM is another story.
I never understood how 100m translated to "acceptable for swimming/spashing" I dive recreationally and have never gone down even HALF that far! I mean, 300 feet! That's pretty deep. I don't understand why something would be rated for 300 feet and be suitable for only swimming. I've taken a 150m Seiko down maybe 60 feet....same thing with my PAM. No problems there with either. My oooooold battle axe monster failed at around 40 feet but that was due to me never having the seals changed and having it in and out of the ocean for 5 years...sometimes taking a nap on the beach and forgetting to rinse it off afterwards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts