WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm torn between 2 watches now, either the Luminox Colormark Orange or the G-Shock Aviator series.

-G-Shock a brand well known for its toughness. A watch that needs no introduction, needs no babysitting. Wear it and you're good to go tackle Mount Everest.

-Luminox, Made in Swiss, that self-illuminating technology is no shame to reveal itself in all lighting conditions. For 25 years, period. Said to be worn by the Navy SEALS, Army, Law guys, FBI, list goes on. Marketing gimmick or real deal?

Who's tougher than tough? Your opinions are very much appreciated. =) Thank you! =)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Gshock by a country mile. Yes its marketing (tritium lights up night vision like a road flare- bad for people who hunt people for a living.) But until Casio produces a toned-down case for the Gshocks I'd rather wear the Luminox.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Gshock by a country mile. Yes its marketing (tritium lights up night vision like a road flare- bad for people who hunt people for a living.) But until Casio produces a toned-down case for the Gshocks I'd rather wear the Luminox.
my G shock is still going strong, I gotten it as a gift when I was in middle school. I am about to finish my master degree now, swam with it, rode many miles with it and ran a marathon with it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my G shock is still going strong, I gotten it as a gift when I was in middle school. I am about to finish my master degree now, swam with it, rode many miles with it and ran a marathon with it.
Which G is that? I'd like to buy the aviation series but the case diameter is 53mm, far too big for my wrist. I have a rather small wrist.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed hands down. I do hope G-Shock learns from Luminox for the design part.. And Luminox learns from G the tough part. =)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im in LE, and by the looks of it I'm a sucker for marketing gimmicks as I own both a luminox colormark and a G.

i prefer the luminox hands down. It's more comfortable by a mile and the tritium is perfect for night shifts. No need to press a button. I've only had the luminox for a couple of months so "toughness" test is limited, but so far not a scratch, and I don't baby it. Plus it looks a million times better then the G's.

Hell, go grey market and buy both

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
I have the non-atomic version of the Mudman G-Shock and I love it. Different series, I know, but all I can use for comparison....G-Shocks have been torture tested over and over through the years and they consistently take a beating and just keeping functioning. If you're looking for a watch that will be subjected to serious punishment, but you need to be able to rely on it, look no further. The Luminox is sort of in a different category for me. The one you're considering is just a basic three hander quartz with good lume. Most (if not all?? haven't really explored the Aviator lineup) of the G-Shock Aviators have more functionality than that. And Casio's analog movements are shock resistant in multiple ways, so in my opinion, the "tougher" watch is going to be the G-Shock by far.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
Things tougher than a G-Shock: Tanks, aircraft carriers, B.A. Baracus
Things more comfortable than a G-Shock: Being dragged behind a bus, being shot, being punched in the face repeatedly

G-Shocks are tough to beat when it comes to durability, but you sacrifice comfort and style to get that durability. The G-Shock is the clear winner if toughness is all you care about, but I had one and I had to get rid of it. Wearing it was like driving a minivan with flame decals on it. Very practical, but you wouldn't want people to see you in it. Luminox for me. Marathon TSAR if you can stretch your budget.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont really know how to measure it, but its roughly the same size as yours. Have you owned a Mudman G-9000 before? Yeah I wore that on the 7th hole and still can fit 1 finger in between the watch strap and my wrist. 6th hole is rather tight. That watch you have up there? Is amazing! Which aviator model is that?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the non-atomic version of the Mudman G-Shock and I love it. Different series, I know, but all I can use for comparison....G-Shocks have been torture tested over and over through the years and they consistently take a beating and just keeping functioning. If you're looking for a watch that will be subjected to serious punishment, but you need to be able to rely on it, look no further. The Luminox is sort of in a different category for me. The one you're considering is just a basic three hander quartz with good lume. Most (if not all?? haven't really explored the Aviator lineup) of the G-Shock Aviators have more functionality than that. And Casio's analog movements are shock resistant in multiple ways, so in my opinion, the "tougher" watch is going to be the G-Shock by far.
I used to own the very same watch as you do. Its been everywhere with me. Hot springs, swimming pool, bath, shampoo, washing the car, mountain biking, (I crashed once and landed arm-first) and also on most holiday vacations. =) And here's what it looks like after 5 months of abuse. P/S Its no longer with me now though. =( Sold it off cuz thinkin to get a new watch. View attachment 1083101

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have a G-shock 5600 and a Traser Commander P6500 (basically a luminox 3000 series). Honestly, they're both great watches but I like the Traser a little bit more. It's loads more comfortable - being titanium and carbon composite doesn't hurt. I've taken it backpacking in the Grand Tetons for 2 weeks including multiple hot / cold spring swims. The tritum was perfect for me because I don't want to have to push a button to see the time when I wake up in the middle of the night, or have to tilt my wrist a certain way to activate the auto EL.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
I dont really know how to measure it, but its roughly the same size as yours. Have you owned a Mudman G-9000 before? Yeah I wore that on the 7th hole and still can fit 1 finger in between the watch strap and my wrist. 6th hole is rather tight. That watch you have up there? Is amazing! Which aviator model is that?
Just tried my mudman G9010,I'm also on the 7th hole,so our wrist size should be about the same..

The aviation that I have is the GW A1030A,which is the 30 th anniversary version of regular GW A1000 with gold colored hardware,caseback,pusher and writings
I think I see one in seiya for $638,I think it's a good price,considering I paid $670ish for mine locally..

·
Registered
13,933 Posts
I don't think the plastic cases on the Luminox are nearly has strong as the G-Shock. I have no idea why the G's are so darn thick and I wish I could put mine on a nato but the integrated bracelets puts a stop to that.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have a few Luminox watches and just ordered my first g-shock (gw5600b-1). I don't understand how a solar/atomic watch can cost only $80 but Luminox 2-3x that....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a few Luminox watches and just ordered my first g-shock (gw5600b-1). I don't understand how a solar/atomic watch can cost only $80 but Luminox 2-3x that....
Perhaps the "Swiss Made" branding... I'm trying to look for lots of watches that are Lumi-alike. Like Traser, but they are abit more expensive than the Lumi.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think the plastic cases on the Luminox are nearly has strong as the G-Shock. I have no idea why the G's are so darn thick and I wish I could put mine on a nato but the integrated bracelets puts a stop to that.
G-s are thick because they have a "hollow-case structure" to protect that module from shock. Personally, I prefer thick cases! It's like you know the watch is there on your wrist.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a G-shock 5600 and a Traser Commander P6500 (basically a luminox 3000 series). Honestly, they're both great watches but I like the Traser a little bit more. It's loads more comfortable - being titanium and carbon composite doesn't hurt. I've taken it backpacking in the Grand Tetons for 2 weeks including multiple hot / cold spring swims. The tritum was perfect for me because I don't want to have to push a button to see the time when I wake up in the middle of the night, or have to tilt my wrist a certain way to activate the auto EL.
Good to know that Traser of yours can survive a beating. =) The Traser model you have cost hella more than the Luminox model I want here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are Luminox as durable as G-Shocks? Cuz I did some research about Luminox on this forum and I did find quite a number of bad reviews bout it, like bad customer service, second hand falling off, and so on.. Many decided to go alternative. Anyone who's owned a Luminox, share your experience?? =)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have a couple that I haven't had any issues with. They mostly get worn when working EMS, so aside from some blood followed by copious amounts of sterilizing/disinfecting solution they don't see much action.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts