WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Ever get the Planet Ocean replica? I love the Rolex sub replica better than any watch ever. However I am getting itchy for a Omega. I am torn between the james Bond type and the Planet Ocean. and the chronos.\
steve

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I don't think they're the same, though they sure look alot alike in various models.
Never really heard any complaints about either brand.
I bought a Traser about a month ago, pretty cool watch.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Lockwood, Traser/Luminox watches are of very good quality. You can't go wrong with either brand.

Both brands share a common link which is in the Swiss firm mb-microtec (who also produced various Stocker & Yale models for the US military in the past). In fact, the Traser P6500 and Luminox Navy SEAL watches are reminiscent of the original Stocker & Yale P650 Navigator watch. The difference being that the Traser version is made to match US military specs and the Luminox version is a diver's model.The tritium vials found on both brands are exclusively produced by mb-microtec. As to the reason they have different brand names? Traser was the brand name marketed in the UK and Europe. Luminox was the brand name first marketed in the US.

Nowadays, both brands are marketed and sold in North America under their respective names. In addition, the Luminox brand has some watch designs that are exclusive to them which you won't find with the Traser name.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had my Luminox for about 6-7 years now, it is my primary watch. It's a simple military-style quartz model, 100M rated, paid ~$170 at the time. Mine has the "T Swiss Made T" markings at 6, I know not all of their models are 100% Swiss . If you buy one, I would recommend being very careful where you take it for service. I had 2 local "watchmakers" try to replace the battery and crystal, they both failed miserably and I ended up having to send it directly to Luminox for service. I don't recall the price for the repairs, but I remember it being reasonable, and they included a printout of the pressure test they did after the repairs.

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
Hey lockwood,

Bought my Luminox back in 97 or 98 and have worn it a lot since then. It actually was one of only 2 watches that I had at the time. I absolutely love the tritium markers.

I know that 4-watches.com has some good prices on Luminox on their site.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I've had my Luminox for about 6-7 years now, it is my primary watch. It's a simple military-style quartz model, 100M rated, paid ~$170 at the time. Mine has the "T Swiss Made T" markings at 6, I know not all of their models are 100% Swiss . If you buy one, I would recommend being very careful where you take it for service. I had 2 local "watchmakers" try to replace the battery and crystal, they both failed miserably and I ended up having to send it directly to Luminox for service. I don't recall the price for the repairs, but I remember it being reasonable, and they included a printout of the pressure test they did after the repairs.
That's some good info there Time2go.
Thanks for sharing and welcome to WUS and Affordables!
Hope you visit and post often :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just purchased the Super Sport and I really like it with the two piece rhino strap.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've had a variety of Luminox watches over the past few years. I love them! Although I currently only have one (#8401), it's a keeper. Larger than most of the others (45mm case size as opposed to 43mm) and a really good quality PVD steel case. I really recommend them!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Luminox are great watches

I have the F117 Nighthawk. Excellent lume of course but I wish the PVD coating was more scratch resistant. It easily wears off. Happy Holidays:)

P

·
0 Posts
Can anyone tell me some references on this brand?
good , bad ? where to get them? Is Tracer same as Luminox?:thanks
Traser (correct spelling) is a different company than Luminox. However, they both use the same supplier for their Tritium Capsules out of Switzerland. S&W, Nite and other suppliers of Tritium Capsules order from a Canadian company who's product is 80% as luminous.

I have Ball, Luminox, S&W (which I gave my son) and I have a Traser on its way. My Planet Ocean 45.5 mm Omega is far brighter in the first hour of night time illumination, but after a couple of hours in the dark, the tritium takes over. By 7 hours out, it is no contest.

You can get Tritium watches in either Quartz, or in Automatics, usually an ETA or Valjoux movement.

P

·
0 Posts
Just purchased the Super Sport and I really like it with the two piece rhino strap.

I expect mine to arrive on Wednesday. Mine has the silicon band coming. How long have you had yours, and how do you compare it to your best watch?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I bought mine about two months ago and I really like it. It has bright, long lasting lume. However, I don't use it in the dark that often, except for the occasional movie. I put it on NATO and I think it is much more comfortable than the velcro that it came with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I expect mine to arrive on Wednesday. Mine has the silicon band coming. How long have you had yours, and how do you compare it to your best watch?
I received the watch a week ago. It came with a SS bracelet that I never bothered to unwrap. Just took it off and put on the Rhino strap. I think it is a good look. I am very satisfied with it @$195 shipped. Later seen a guy on ebay selling this same watch for $99-$125 new with, "But it now" the very next day.

I really like the Bezel on this watch. My other divers have a black bezel so this one is a little different. I can tell you if it did not have the Tritium markers I would not of bought this watch on looks alone. I would not wear this watch when going out on the town dressed up. . Just casual and work. The Omega Seamaster Pro is the best watch I have for casual and dress.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts