WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
161 - 180 of 307 Posts

· Premium Member
10,907 Posts
The project plan was for 987 watches. I’m not saying Meranom has 987 of each part but I bet he has hundreds. How “rare” it will end up being remains to be seen. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone buys dozens of them and either flips the parts for a profit or or sells assembled watches on fleabay at 400 a pop.

· Registered
3,026 Posts
The project plan was for 987 watches. I’m not saying Meranom has 987 of each part but I bet he has hundreds. How “rare” it will end up being remains to be seen. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone buys dozens of them and either flips the parts for a profit or or sells assembled watches on fleabay at 400 a pop.
You need to take into account the 900 that mariomart has just bought...

· Registered
2,949 Posts
Also grabbed a set and also a Neptune 960762 although I'm not sure if there will be issues with fitting the hands, even if Dmitry says it should fit. Recently I tried to fit regular hands onto a 960759 and they wouldn't fit. Apparently just like certain SE models, the 960759 has different pinion size. Hopefully the 960762 movement is compatible with Cosmodiver handset.
Well at worst the 960762 is a nice enough watch on itself.

· Registered
3,659 Posts
Was the caseback ever completed?
No, it only ever got to the designed stage, not produced.

You need to take into account the 900 that mariomart has just bought...
I wish 🤪 I only bought enough parts to make two watches, which is one more than I had reserved.

I'm pretty certain that Marina Salakhova will have that covered, I've noticed that when Meranom sells off project dials she has then assembled and for sale pretty quickly.

· Registered
251 Posts
…and the DIY project should stay in this forum as it with Russian parts..

I would like hear if anybody has some opinion or some real insight regarding the whole question.
I think it is evident there has been some issue between Vostok and its dealers, resulting in
Vostok not assembling private projects anymore and have some resistance in allowing the authorized dealers selling branded parts. For this project though it seems that all the parts were already purchased (or at least a good number of them). I know there is the issue of movements, but most of us are taking some donor watch.
I cannot believe that Dimitry couldn’t have someone else assembling the watches. Did such solution come to Dimitry or Ole (the initiator of the project) mind?!
I feel the whole story is missing a chapter, or at least a few pages

· Registered
3,659 Posts
…and the DIY project should stay in this forum as it with Russian parts..

I would like hear if anybody has some opinion or some real insight regarding the whole question.
I think it is evident there has been some issue between Vostok and its dealers, resulting in
Vostok not assembling private projects anymore and have some resistance in allowing the authorized dealers selling branded parts. For this project though it seems that all the parts were already purchased (or at least a good number of them). I know there is the issue of movements, but most of us are taking some donor watch.
I cannot believe that Dimitry couldn’t have someone else assembling the watches. Did such solution come to Dimitry or Ole (the initiator of the project) mind?!
I feel the whole story is missing a chapter, or at least a few pages
The greatest stumbling block in this whole saga is the lack of 2426.02 Vostok movements in which the whole project revolved around.

The Chistopol factory has seeming decided to not sell these movements separately to watches, for whatever reason, and as such it has made it almost impossible to assemble them using anything other than the Vostok factory, as I don't think anyone has stockpiled these particular 2426.02 movements.

I am pretty certain that all of this is Covid-19 related as the factory is probably running under reduced staffing levels and possibly suffering from downstream supply issues. They are probably concentrating on their own production models for this reason, as there is possibly very little profit to be made in producing for others.

Just my 2 cents worth.

· Registered
251 Posts
The greatest stumbling block in this whole saga is the lack of 2426.02 Vostok movements in which the whole project revolved around.

The Chistopol factory has seeming decided to not sell these movements separately to watches, for whatever reason, and as such it has made it almost impossible to assemble them using anything other than the Vostok factory, as I don't think anyone has stockpiled these particular 2426.02 movements.

I am pretty certain that all of this is Covid-19 related as the factory is probably running under reduced staffing levels and possibly suffering from downstream supply issues. They are probably concentrating on their own production models for this reason, as there is possibly very little profit to be made in producing for others.

Just my 2 cents worth.
...still I think a lot of the 2000 people that were in list for the watch would have been fine in paying 250$ or 300$ (a HUGE 25% to 50% increase in price) and have the watch assembled by Dmitry on whatever case he could find as donor. I really think Ole was more than fine switching to a different project entirely.

· Registered
928 Posts
It's probably not that simple. I don't think he can assemble watches by himself and still have Vostok logo on it. Plus, even if they went the donor route, watches with 2426.02 movement cost more than regular Amphibias plus they still need the 710 case as well. It would cost more than $300 and most people would give up.

· Premium Member
10,907 Posts
It's probably not that simple. I don't think he can assemble watches by himself and still have Vostok logo on it. Plus, even if they went the donor route, watches with 2426.02 movement cost more than regular Amphibias plus they still need the 710 case as well. It would cost more than $300 and most people would give up.
I don't know, from reading the responses since the fallout (switch to Micromilspec) most people would have been fine paying more than the original estimated $200 something. More so than changing everything about the watch and paying $930 that's for sure.
For all we know the project owner didnt try very hard to work out a solution. Maybe he felt that he wanted more $ and worked out a deal with a company in his country.
P.S. the 960761 and 760762 can be had for about $110 on vostokinc.

· Registered
928 Posts
I think Titanium 1967s are a similar story. Dmitry claims everything is ready except for the movement. Cheapest watch from Vostok Inc with 2416b is like $45. Dmitry can probably get them even cheaper. If it was that simple I think we would see 1967 Frankensteins rather than all parts going to waste. He probably can't release watches with Vostok logo if the factory is refusing to assemble them.

· Registered
1,001 Posts
P.S. the 960761 and 760762 can be had for about $110 on vostokinc.
Is there an english version of this website? I'm just blindly clicking all over it, and the though of entering credit card info makes me nervous

161 - 180 of 307 Posts