WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mainstays in my collection are, indeed, mechanical watches. But I also like to keep a number of quartz pieces in the collection also. I like that quartz watches are always "ready to go" and that they help keep the maintenance costs under control in my collection also.

The last quartz piece I added was an Alpina Startimer and I am very happy with it -- a stunning piece!

Now I am looking for ideas for another piece. I like off-beat watches -- watches that are somewhat unique. It also must be quartz, worthy of adding to a collection, and under $1000 US.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
May not be quite unique, but the last watch I purchased that fell into the "luxury quartz" category was the Tag Heuer Aquaracer. Great all around watch and I was able to pick it up for well under $1k.

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
I’d either find a used Grand Seiko, Omega Seamaster or possibly a Longines

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
Casio Oceanus.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/official-casio-oceanus-thread-4761827.html
Titanium, multifunction,perpetual calendar, solar, radio controlled and later models can be with GPS or BT.
This may look like a normal watch, but dig in for an amazing experience....

OCW-S100 is 40mm all titanium hardened with titanium carbide, Dual curved Sapphire Crystal with Anti-Reflective Coating, solar, atomic, perpetual calendar, 30 time zones (very subtle, almost hidden, around the chapter ring), solid end links, Made in Japan. It is 10.5mm thin.

Cases are made under Casio contract by Seiko in the factory that also makes Grand Seiko and Credor watches.

$454 shipped from Chino in Tokyo.....uh, $503US now....Ack! Make that $520US. Back down to $499.

OCW-S100-1AJF.OCW-S100-7A2JF

·
Premium Member
71,422 Posts
If it’s a diver that you’re after go for a Tuna but if you want something dressy the Oceanus ticks all the boxes.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I own the Oceanus OCW-S100 and will second (or third) it, a fantastic watch 👍

Another awesome quartz with similar specs is the Citizen PMD56-2951. Solar, self correcting hands, atomic radio (Japan only or phone app), perpetual calendar, duratect hardened titanium, sapphire crystal, ratcheting extension clasp.

Both these watches bring a big smile to my dial 😀 And with your budget you could probably pick up both!

IMG_20181026_182552940_1543842478244.jpg

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
It has to be a Bulova Precionist. A sweeping hand, and one of the most accurate watches in the world.
DSCN1351.JPG

1 - 20 of 29 Posts