WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updated Vertu Signature Touch goes official with Snapdragon 810 and 4GB of RAM - GSMArena.com news

Vertu have upped their game... they've gone from being a bit of a 'joke' brand with poor specced phones to actually, apparently, making some decent stuff. 4GB RAM! I still wouldn't pay that though...

Sony Xperia Z5 Premium - Full phone specifications

Then Sony recently announced the Z5 Premium... like the Z5 (standard) but a steel rather than aluminium build and 4K screen...

Apple iPhone 6s - Full phone specifications

Of course for a lot of us it still has to be the iPhone... I'm hoping they release a 128GB 6C with 4" screen as I want something I can use with one hand...

Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ - Full phone specifications

And Samsung are no slouch either... now if only they'd get rid of that camera hump...

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
18,838 Posts
My Kyocera Duraforce works just fine. It may not be fancy, but I do not have to worry about dropping it or getting it wet.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
18,838 Posts
yeah, looks rugged. but don't forget this is the 'Luxury' forum! Well I guess it's Lifestyle as well.

my theory: Apple are Rolex, Samsung are Omega, and Sony are going to end up as Patek. Mediocre you replied to this thread! --> https://www.watchuseek.com/f443/stock-options-1088344-2.html
That I did. Sony is a large company with some big wins in their history.....and some large, expensive failures. They never bet small. Big risk, big reward.....but I am a bit more risk averse, so they are not my style with regards to investments.

We do own a fair number of their products though, all with great results lol. Audio, TV, laptop, gaming console, etc...

As far as "Patek", their product is too expansive to be that exclusive. Something like LG, HTC, etc....one of the smaller companies that make higher quality phones probably has a better chance IMHO.

I went durable and functional with my phone, again.....risk averse lol. I must admit though, there are times that IOS would be useful.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Sony are moving more and more high-end though. You can see it in their audio players, TVs, phones (they only make smartphones now, no feature phones as in Sony Ericsson days). But yeah, HTC also only make smartphones and they have high-end history going back to Windows Mobile days. LG I don't really think so much. Also, I have an Xperia Z2 as well as an iPhone 5 and the quality of the Xperia is fantastic.

I'm slightly worried Sony are throwing a load of money into PlayStation VR, I'm not convinced the tech will take off as well as they're hoping. I think it's going to be a bit like 3D TV.

·
Premium Member
40,936 Posts
It would be nice to have a higher end phone, but much easier to repair/replace the cheaper ones if issues arise, based on my experience.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
18,838 Posts
I do not see luxury smart phones really catching on until mobile phones have a longer lifespan. Right now they are outdated a few months (at most) after release. If you think about most of the true luxury items in existence, they retain their luxury over time. That is part of the appeal, and that is part of what makes it easier for people to justify the spend. That level of spend is not nearly as appealing if you know that it will be outdated in six months. A 10 year old Patek is still a Patek. A 10 year old phone is a punch line

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The only one I liked and had for a little bit before realizing my iPhone is still much better... was the Ulysse Nardin smartphone with the built-in rotor in the back which was pretty awesome but functionally not that great and didn't provide much power as opposed to a mechanical watch. Apparently need much more than a few flicks around to power a smartphone chip.

Ulysse Nardin Chairman, 'World's Most Expensive Mobile Phone,' Is Totally Decadent (PHOTOS)
Hands-on with the Ulysse Nardin Chairman: World's First Luxury Hybrid Smartphone - The Luxury Bazaar Blog

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I do not see luxury smart phones really catching on until mobile phones have a longer lifespan. Right now they are outdated a few months (at most) after release. If you think about most of the true luxury items in existence, they retain their luxury over time. That is part of the appeal, and that is part of what makes it easier for people to justify the spend. That level of spend is not nearly as appealing if you know that it will be outdated in six months. A 10 year old Patek is still a Patek. A 10 year old phone is a punch line
Moore's Law is a beootch, ain't it.

·
Registered
31,988 Posts
bit of a fanboy alright, yes :)
Back before moving into smart phones I had a w810, k750 and C905. All awesome phones however the software failed on the latter two, both just after the phone was out of warranty. This put me off Sony Erriccson. Shame because they were all awesome phones. The w810 is still going strong though

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've owned a Sony Ericsson K770 and K850, they were alright. Sony phones are way better than Sony Ericsson phones, factoring in the relativity of technology evolutions. I have a feeling the division may be closed down though - they do next to no marketing and they're just not really selling well enough.

If that happens, I'll probably get an Android Walkman at some stage as I like a bit of Android. Also it seems to actually be more expensive using my Portuguese SIM card in my Z2 when I'm in Portugal than using my Irish SIM card on roaming in my iPhone. iOS still way better than Android though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Never really thought of this as luxury, more like I always wanted to get the new gadgets out there, with the latest specs. I recently got a promotion for the Samsung S6 128gb for 32gb price so I switched from iphone to Samsung, thought I would regret it, but I love it so far!

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Never really thought of this as luxury, more like I always wanted to get the new gadgets out there, with the latest specs. I recently got a promotion for the Samsung S6 128gb for 32gb price so I switched from iphone to Samsung, thought I would regret it, but I love it so far!
it's a market which is starting to become something of a luxury market to an extent, and I expect will be more so in future once technology maxes out. smartphones fascinate me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
In my opinion, a luxury smartphone is a complete waste of money. I get a new phone every year anyways, and spending $5-$600 for that is bad enough. I can't even imagine dropping a few grand every year.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts