WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The title says it all. For those of us who drive luxury vehicles: Do you park at the far end of a parking lot for the sake of sparing your ride from door dings?

Just curious...

Reactions: dandigangi

·
Registered
254 Posts
I used to make fun of my step dad when he would drive in circles to find "just the right spot". While my car was in the shop a few years ago I borrowed his 90 Acura. I thought I would be nice and wash it before giving it back. I stood back and did not see even one ding on this car, it was perfect! Since buying my M5, I do take extra care to park her safely.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed. The extra walk is good for me and people are generally disrespectful or oblivious when parking.

A few months ago I parked close to a mall entrance while I was pressed for time. I came out and found a massive dent in the left rear door of my X5. The gentlemen who did the damage left his business card and paid for the door to be painted. There are some great folks left out there!

That being said, I'll never make that mistake again.

Reactions: civiclx

·
Registered
31,976 Posts
You don't need to have a luxury vehicle to do this.

Im as precious about either of my cars - the toy and the nice car. I park, or try to, next to a car that looks like it is taken care of so it won't be kissing my car when leaving.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I park, or try to, next to a car that looks like it is taken care of so it won't be kissing my car when leaving.
Very true. I try to be selective and use "context clues" when there are no far off or isolated parking spots.

Reactions: mr.jvb

·
Registered
159 Posts
Might not be considered a luxury car, but my BMW was always parked away from the front and under a light post. I park my wife's Prius under a light, also.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I know this is smug, but oh well. I park anwhere, I simply get a new CTSV every 6 Mos for last 2 years. Never worry about dings, or kids melted crayons. Ever been beat in a street race with a guy who has 2 car seats in the back seat? You will get smoked...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
I know this is smug, but oh well. I park anwhere, I simply get a new CTSV every 6 Mos for last 2 years. Never worry about dings
My Grandpa did that too.....disposable Caddys. Garden City, His neighborhood was sprinkled with his old Fleetwoods.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Luxury or not I always try to look for the best spot for my cars. Don't want to pay for a nice car so someone can ding it up.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I know this is smug, but oh well. I park anwhere, I simply get a new CTSV every 6 Mos for last 2 years. Never worry about dings, or kids melted crayons. Ever been beat in a street race with a guy who has 2 car seats in the back seat? You will get smoked...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
There's nothing wrong with turning cars over quickly! I keep mine for the long haul. Before I wound up as a professor I made my living turning wrenches. I tend develop relationships with my vehicles.

I haven't street raced in over a decade and a half. I hope those car seats are empty while you're going at it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I always look for the best spot, which is usually father away, however I sometimes find it actually saves me time to pull into a large parking lot and just park in the back, rather than circle for a few minutes to find a lazy spot up close. My go to grocery store is a more affluent clientele and it always cracks me up how many of the 'active wear' crowd are too lazy to walk to/from their car or to take their cart to the return.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts