WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am considering purchasing my first mechanical watch, and wondering if anyone has any experiences with Muhle Glashutte watches. I am considering City XIII, M12 Sport. Current price is about 600-700. I can also get a Fortis Pilot Professioanl for the same price. Am i better off with a Fortis?

Thanx any comments are appreciated

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
Re: Nuhle Glashutte watches any good?

the city timer or m12 are very fine watches. I would consider them better than the fortis. I own both and each are good, but the build quality on the mg is hard to beat.

·
Registered
208 Posts
'Yes' MG watches are good or 'yes' he is better off with the Fortis?

I own an MG Teutonia II Big Date and love the watch. Excellent quality and quite rare outside of Germany (I suspect). I get tons of compliments on my watch.

I have looked at the M12 as well... nice looking watch. I don't know the City model that you mentioned, though.

S

·
0 Posts
'Yes' MG watches are good or 'yes' he is better off with the Fortis?

I own an MG Teutonia II Big Date and love the watch. Excellent quality and quite rare outside of Germany (I suspect). I get tons of compliments on my watch.

I have looked at the M12 as well... nice looking watch. I don't know the City model that you mentioned, though.
Yes and yes ;-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx everyone for your quick replies.

I wording on my original post was awkward and i appologize, so it was unclear from Mike's and Alljay's post whether they considered the Muhle to be better than the Fortis.

I went and checked pricing on all 4 watches the Fortis Pilot Professional PVD 595.18.11L (40mm) and non PVD 595.22.11L and the Muhle Glashutte City XIII and M12 Sport. The pricing is very close between the two companies the watches are in the $600-700 and the Fortis being about $50 cheaper.

With this in mind would you recommend the Fortis or the Muhle?

Thanx again

·
Registered
208 Posts
Unfortunately, I do not know enough about Fortis to recommend them.... I have zero experience with them, but I can tell you that I think that the MG is a FAR better looking watch.

Based upon my admittedly limited experience, I do not hesitate to recommend MG watches. I think that they represent very good value for money (as does Fortis, I am sure). They have very clean, minimalist dials and I would guess that you'd be less likely to see another in day to day life than the Fortis. Also, the M12, to me, could probably be worn with a suit or casual whereas the Fortis would not work with a suit.

For me, the difference between all of the watches that you have listed really comes down to appearance. Personally, I like the M12

Mechanically, is there much difference between the two movements other than the day function (MG uses an ETA 2824-2 while the Fortis uses a 2836-2)?

Anyhoo, that's my two cents for what its worth.... You won't go wrong with any of those watches.

Jay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx for your opinion Alljay, that's pretty much what I was looking for, an honest opinion. I have heard of fortis and read through many posts on this forum. but i hadn't heard much about the MG's, and just wanted to make sure for the price that i am paying that i am getting a good watch.

thanx

·
Registered
208 Posts
In all honesty, I don't think that you could go wrong with any of those watches. From everything that I have read, Fortis make very good watches. Mike recommended Fortis and he knows more about both watches than I do, but I have never read anything bad about MG watches and I love the one that I have.

You'll love any of those watches, I am sure.

Cheers,

Jay

BTW, one tip if you do go with the Fortis, I have read many times that PVD can scratch fairly easily and it cannot be repaired. Many don't seem to like that...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts