WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a phone call that my Marine Original is hung up at customs.I need to fill out some kind of form that they are going to fax me.Is it always a hassle to get something shipped to the U.S. from Germany?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Interesting that you should have this happen. I have 3 straps on order from Jorg and they should be here today. But on Saturday I got a call from Fed Ex customs asking me if the straps were for my own use or for resale...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know.WTF.I'm buying a freaking watch not a weapon or what not.They had a problem with the value or something.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I payed Vat I guess.I payed the way it was supposed to be the easiest so I could avoid these kinds of hassles.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sorry to hear that, let us know how it goes.

Paying VAT should exempt you from paying domestic duties & taxes, but does not exempt you from the attention of an over-zealous customs officer. That's something that no one has any control over.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I'm pretty sure the VAT was added to the bill at the time of my purchase. The woman I talked to told me that there was nothing else I had to do, guess they just wanted to verify possible resale status in my case.

·
Vendor
932 Posts
Hello everybody,

it seems that the American custom make some trouible in this moment- we have a few parcels which are send like usual - but Fedex loose papers and don´t know realy to handle.
We hope that after christmas this problems will be like lways (like always means that normaly everything is realy fast and excellent)

Sorry for this but we can´t do anything - sometimes Fedex ask to fax the papers again and we do ASAP or make phonecalls to solve the delay.

Best regards

Jörg

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
It's the time of year. I am a custom knife and tool maker and am sending out all kinds of packages lately, mostly via USPS. I have had my share of troubles too so it is not surprising that FedEx would drop the ball on a few shipments given the tremendous volume of packages that are shipping right now..

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I'm using UPS to ship everything - no problems. On the contrary, currently I get fastest delivery to US addresses ever.
Maybe it's a Fedex problem...

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm using UPS to ship everything - no problems. On the contrary, currently I get fastest delivery to US addresses ever.
Maybe it's a Fedex problem...
FYI, UPS is the absolute worst O| shipping service for shipping from the US to Canada.

I always request USPS, and they are quick and reliable. |>

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
FYI, UPS is the absolute worst O| shipping service for shipping from the US to Canada.

I always request USPS, and they are quick and reliable. |>
I do Hong Kong -> US... up to last week average transit time was just above 70 hours - well within UPS guaranteed transit time, but due to some fast transfers during the last week the average dropped to 52 hours, including a speed record of just 33 hours.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sorry to hear that, let us know how it goes.

Paying VAT should exempt you from paying domestic duties & taxes, but does not exempt you from the attention of an over-zealous customs officer. That's something that no one has any control over.
I guess it's kind of a crap shoot, but I think it's definitely worth it to have them back out the VAT. I paid the quote without it on my Seatime a couple of weeks ago and it arrived Fedex in 2 days shipping time no problem. My price without VAT was about 641 euros (602 + 39 for shipping), about 96 euros cheaper. Even after I subtract the $36 I got dinged for customs today by Fedex, I still saved about $95 if my math is correct (not a given). All the savings in the world is no consolation if your baby is held up in customs, but paying the VAT is no guaranteed of that if I read these posts correctly. You never know...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Agreed, I think paying the VAT is the way to go. I think the delay that has occurred for OP is simply the result of the time of year, and the massive volume of packages being processed through customs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts