WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what my fellow Nikon users are mounting up for macro shots. I only have 1 lens that is dedicated and that is the 60mm f2.8 Macro and at times i have a hard time with it hunting for the spot using auto focus. Yes I should do manual

·
Premium Member
38,713 Posts
I use extension tubes on my 50mm f/1.8. Switch to manual focus.

Been looking at dedicated macro lenses though, so following this thread with interest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 105 f2. 8
I was told, manual focus, tripod, remote shutter for the macro shots. Still difficult for an amateur lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I have the 105mm VR - got it used on Craigslist and was very disappointed in its performance on watches.
It has a distracting amount of chromatic aberration.
I have since learned that this is common (1 out of 100???) flaw found in this lens.
If you buy one new and it has this problem, Nikon will replace it.

Here's an illustration - the edges of the white print on the far-side of the dial are bluish-yellow and the near-side are purple.

2017-11-18 11-55-44 - Copy.JPG

It's a great lens otherwise.
The VR is life-saver for me.

If you get your camera on a tripod, sometimes it's a lot easier to move the watch instead of changing focus.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just recently got into macro photography, as my wife started a small business and needs high detail pics of very small objects she produces. I got a Nikon Micro‑Nikkor Macro 40mm, f/2.8 to go on her D3300. It's great for this kind of work, and also makes an excellent portrait lens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use a 105 and get pretty good results. For a static shot, my 70-200 with a 10+ closeup often reveals better results. So much so that my 105 stays in bag. When I bought my 200-400 one of the write ups I read was about the utility of using it as a macro lens. Amazingly, it does the job very well as long as I have lots of space to make the shot. Light is defiantly softer and it’s easier to get tack sharp withou the focus wandering all over.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I would try their inexpensive 40mm macro. I find it to be great for wrist shots.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I picked up a used Sigma 105mm/f2.8, but haven't had enough time with it to form a firm opinion. Following this thread with interest now :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently got myself a dedicated macro lens (Tamron 90mm f/2.8 for Nikon), but for the life of me I can't get a decent shot with it. But then again, I have only fiddled with it for an hour or so.

Also, I haven't gotten around to doing this, but I need to find something to weigh down my tripod so it doesn't tip over, and some decent lighting. I'm not really going to buy dedicated studio lighting, so any tips would be welcome. Maybe I should try shooting outside on an overcast day because indoor shots have been coming out way too dark even when plenty of sun is coming in through the windows.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts