WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Walking through Macy's to make some late holiday exchanges and happened to stroll by the watch department.

Saw the usual brands and then spotted this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357606494.015255.jpg

I wonder if this is to educate the public about the brand.

They had a Conquest GMT and a couple from the Master Collection. Those blue hands under the bright white light look tempting but that's how it always is in watch stores lol.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've seen Longines in Macys for a few years now, they only exist in the "Higher End" Macys in expensive retail areas.

I was looking at the watches in a Macy's over at Tysons 1 here in Virginia, in addition to the discount they also can take off 10% if you open a Macy's Card, LOL.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I wish my Macy's carried Longines........I guess Tampa isn't high end enough of a town.....

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
All the Macy's in Columbus sell the usual suspects (Bulova, Burberry, Citizen, Movado, etc.). I've seen some "higher end" brands at Macy's online (Tag, Longines, Rado), but not in the stores.

·
Premium Member
21,829 Posts
In California, Longines is carried in only a small handful of Macy's, in for example Fashion Valley Mall in San Diego, Union Square in San Francisco, and South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess my Macy's is "high end" because they have rado, longines and tag (3 entire counters of tag).

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I guess my Macy's is "high end" because they have rado, longines and tag (3 entire counters of tag).
Saw the same on 34th st here in NYC. It's been the same for years, although I don't know why, as nobody is every really there and the salespeople always look extremely bored.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,625 Posts
Walking through Macy's to make some late holiday exchanges and happened to stroll by the watch department.

Saw the usual brands and then spotted this:

I wonder if this is to educate the public about the brand.

They had a Conquest GMT and a couple from the Master Collection. Those blue hands under the bright white light look tempting but that's how it always is in watch stores lol.
I suspect that the Macy's has added a Longines display as a way to sell watches. Most people are aware of the Longines brand so there would be little if any education flowing from a sales exhibit. I do wish Macy's would declutter their stores. Their merchandising looks like the K Mart model where as much merchandise is stuffed onto the sales floor as possible.

·
Banned
750 Posts
What market does Macy's cater for?
Does anyone know which department store it is comparable to in Britain?

The only Macy's I have ever been in was in San Francisco but I wasn't there to shop I was there for cheesecake so literally went through the doors and up 7 floors on the escalators, I didn't look around.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Saw the same on 34th st here in NYC. It's been the same for years, although I don't know why, as nobody is every really there and the salespeople always look extremely bored.
Well, the Herald Sq 34th st Macy's is the flagship for the entire company - if you walk in on the Broadway side of the building you're even accosted with Burberry and Louis Vuitton stores-within-a-store. The watch counters are huge too - Cases of Seikos and Citizens (though not the WUS models, of course), VSA, Tissot, Hamilton, Longines, Rado, TAG Heuer, and even Baume et Mercier, in addition to the usual fashion watch stuff that's always there.

I'm just annoyed that they don't seem to discount their luxury watches... I'd love to be able to stack six coupons and use my GF's Macy's card and get something for >50% off... it's ok, there's a dealer that carries Citizen and a few Swatch brands across the street.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,625 Posts
What market does Macy's cater for?
Does anyone know which department store it is comparable to in Britain?

The only Macy's I have ever been in was in San Francisco but I wasn't there to shop I was there for cheesecake so literally went through the doors and up 7 floors on the escalators, I didn't look
around.
I am tempted to say Marks & Sparks based on the quality but not the breadth of the Macy product lines.

·
Banned
750 Posts
I am tempted to say Marks & Sparks based on the quality but not the breadth of the Macy product lines.
I see.
In which case I suppose Longines are a little out of place there.
If M&S started selling a full range of watches I would expect Citizen, Rotary, that kind of thing.

Would that not basically equate to Debenhams?

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,625 Posts
I see.
In which case I suppose Longines are a little out of place there.
If M&S started selling a full range of watches I would expect Citizen, Rotary, that kind of thing.

Would that not basically equate to Debenhams?
Retailing has changed a lot with the advent of internet selling and the lines that once defined the product categories for all retailers have become blurred. In the USA Target and Needless Markup have experimented with crossing of product lines.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts