WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw in one of the local watch shop a G-Shock that was made in China. The model number is DW-6900AV-1 and the "made in china" is inscript on the case back. Try googling the model number but turn up nil.

I was not able to take any photo because the shop do not allow it. The watch strap was the normal black strap and the only thing outstanding is that it is blue inside, just like the crazy series DW-6900CS-7.

Would you all consider buying G-shock if Casio were to start mass production in China?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
If Casio is willing to put their name on it you'd have to figure the quality would be the same as their other production locations so yeah I'd buy one. Mass production might bring their prices down so I see it as a plus.

Besides aren't there a billion or so Chinese citizens that need a Casio for themselves? Making them there would make it that much easier for them.

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Just saw in one of the local watch shop a G-Shock that was made in China. The model number is DW-6900AV-1 and the "made in china" is inscript on the case back. Try googling the model number but turn up nil.

I was not able to take any photo because the shop do not allow it. The watch strap was the normal black strap and the only thing outstanding is that it is blue inside, just like the crazy series DW-6900CS-7.

Would you all consider buying G-shock if Casio were to start mass production in China?
As long as it was legit Casio manufacturing, I don't see where the problem is.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the price for this model was going for about US$125.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I am aware of the DW-6900G series being made in China.;-)

So far no issue with it.So I don't see why having Gs made in china is an issue.:-!However, I am sure Casio is taking a cautious approach, as only the 6900G is made there, along with straps for certain models,like G-3xx series.Certain Edifice models are also being assembled in China, however the movement are still made in Japan, or at least, Thailand.

Cheers,
MountainMike

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
They already have, haven't they? No problem for me.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Well, the price for this model was going for about US$125.

I haven't heard of this model before.And the price is high for a China-made DW-6900.As far as I am concerned, most special editions DW-6900 are made in Thailand and only those really limited series are made in Japan (normally the quantity is 1000 pieces or less).

The DQM series DW-6900 is made in thailand, for example.

Cheers,
MountainMike

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Hi,
my DW-6600 is made in China too - doesn't seem to be of less quality than any other G I own. Somebody once wrote here on the forum that there's a G-Shock factory in Taiwan that made Gs for 20yrs or something. I have no problem with made in China Gs.
Pic:

As you can see on the first pic the crystal was made in Japan - there's a little "JAPAN 0" in the lower left corner.

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
It's not a problem for me. Although China is known for producing a lot of cheap rubbish, they are quite capable of producing quality goods too. The only way I can tell my Chinese made G-Shock from the others is by the writing on the back.

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
The back of my 6900 says 'Made in China'. Works just fine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There should be no problem with "Made In China"....they can make at any "quality" according to the "price" you are willing to pay :-!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Besides aren't there a billion or so Chinese citizens that need a Casio for themselves? Making them there would make it that much easier for them.
Easier for us too, since those watches entail lower labor costs and ultimately, lower prices. Bring back the entire watch manufacturing process to Japan, and watch how many rants here will come up about the increase in list price. :-d

Personally, I'm not very confident about China-made goods, particularly their cars and their food products. But G-Shocks? As long as they're still held under Casio QC standards, there's nothing much to worry about.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm from Singapore and I bought a black DW-6900-1AV for like US$45 from a shop in Bencoolen. It says made in China at the back plate. No worries and no problems so far. I then bought a set of yellow band and bezel and converted it to this.....

Its good that they come cheap!

Krazys: which shop/ where did you see that watch at the price you mentioned? even the crazy colours dw-6900 don't go for more than US$80 locally...... Most probably that shop you went to is trying to rip-off people with that kind of pricing....

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm from Singapore and I bought a black DW-6900-1AV for like US$45 from a shop in Bencoolen. It says made in China at the back plate. No worries and no problems so far. I then bought a set of yellow band and bezel and converted it to this.....

Its good that they come cheap!

Krazys: which shop/ where did you see that watch at the price you mentioned? even the crazy colours dw-6900 don't go for more than US$80 locally...... Most probably that shop you went to is trying to rip-off people with that kind of pricing....
Yeah Casio has watches made in:

China
Thailand
Malaysia
Korea
Japan

Then there are those that have Japan movement but cased in Malaysia and Thailand. But most interesting is that Casio has had a factory in Taiwan some 20 years, but is it labeled Made in China or Japan? (as only recent, 10 years or so that the Made in China first appeared)

·
Registered
403 Posts
if casio is going to manufacture in china (which i'm sure does very well for them) they're going to make sure its good for us! china's has some factories that have the ability to manufacture to the highest ISO ratings...

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Most of the cost savings for watches made in China are for steel watches that require finishing and those with auto movements.

Steel needs to be finished which requires skilled labor. Doing so in China is much cheaper but also less appealing.

Plastic G-Shocks don't require this type of finishing - it's basically an assembly process.

What is the pecking order for far east assembly anyway? Is there a difference between China, thailand, Japan, etc? I doubt it.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
I am new to G-Shock and i have a GA-100 black and red 5081 and its made in china
Is it real?
Where is the "China"-writing located? On the back it should read "Japan mov't cased in Thailand" but on the buckle of the strap it's "Made in China" - which means that the buckle or the whole strap are made in China.
The back should look like this. But maybe the newer models are Made in China - I don't know.

cheers, Sedi :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts