1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
GW-400's are made in Japan. ;-)

I don't think it makes a lot of difference. The MIJ models tend to be top of range types which is perhaps why people assume MIJ is better than MIC or MIT.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
So are the majority of G's made in Thailand now? Are there still ones that are made in Japan?
Why do you ask?

I was caught up with trying to obtain 'Made in Japan' G-Shocks. It took a few months before finally believing the G enthusiasts here who said it makes no difference. Some of these guys have 400 watches. They know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
55 Posts
After spending a two week vacation in Thailand.... I perfer Thailand made G's ;-)

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
A large percentage of my watches aren't made in Japan. I don't have a problem with it. They're all fantastic watches.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Considering that some of the bits for watches costing ten times as much as a Casio aren't necessarily made in, let's say, Switzerland, it doesn't really matter too much.

·
Registered
40 Posts
even if it's stated Made In Japan... the whole watches aren't fully made in japan... the parts inside are not for sure...

it's hard to find a fully 100% Made In Japan item anymore be it watches or any other products...

to me, as long as it looks good and the quality is good... it works fine for me...

;)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
As I think Tribe once said, the machines making the watches neither know nor care whether they are in Japan, Thailand, Korea or anywhere else.

And 'made in' really only means 'assembled in'. Who's to say where any of the components were orignally manufactured?

Besides, the subject has come up once or twice before, and the consensus of opinion seems to be that it doesn't make any difference where they are made.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Also, it's a Casio plant, with Casio equipment. So everything has to meet the same set of standards. It's like USA made BMW autos. They're still BMWs made to BMW's specs.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Also, it's a Casio plant, with Casio equipment. So everything has to meet the same set of standards. It's like USA made BMW autos. They're still BMWs made to BMW's specs.
However, it does make a difference where certain products are made.

I don't know about BMWs but it is is a fact that USA made Honda and Mercedes are not as well made and reliable as Japan, GB, and Germany assembled cars.

Even where there isn't a proven quality relationship, the fact is the market dictates that Japanese made 'G's are more desirable and therefore command higher prices on the second hand market.

You will allways be better off, therefore, owning a Japanese 'G'.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I believe that if there is a japanese version available, the tendency would be to get the japanese version. However, it would not stop me from getting the watch if it is made elsewhere. In fact I am looking for some Made in Malaysia watch, as they were made during the declining years of G-Shock (lucky they recovered). It is just a matter of economics, lower the cost (cheaper labour cost without the loss of quality), lower selling price with larger margins.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Can I chime in? I have a G-Shock that says 'Cased In Thailand', does it mean its not manufactured in Thailand, and that the module was made somewhere else and final assembly done in Thailand?

Of course I do not mind where the watches are being made, so long as its readily available, and I don't have to hunt high and low for something I really like.

·
Registered
40 Posts
yes... in this business world nowadays... all business will try all their might to maximize their gross profits...

afterall... it's business to them...

;)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
For a daily wear, I don't care. But from a collector point of view, 'made in Japan' means fewer in quantity and higher in quality. If you have really experienced the Japan Honda against the Chinese Honda or Taiwan Honda even though their model is exactly the same, you will find the difference.

One hard fact is that most Japanese high end or high quality products are manufactured in Japan and sold to domestic market only. Not for you and me, Alien.:-d For example of electrical appliances, in Hong Kong, if we really want to get the top or most advance model, we may need to buy it from the parallel imported shop or from Japan directly, which the voltage is 110V instead of 220V. It is already a common understanding and common practice in Hong Kong.

Of course there are exceptions but it is generally true and applicable to most products.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts