WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From time to time I build my own watches based on off-the shelf parts. My latest creation is on my wrist as I write this post:

8248211886_f09238a892_b.jpg

8247144051_ec09cdf782_b.jpg

8248212088_10cc607d08_b.jpg

Specs

• Stainless steel case
  • ETA 2836 movement
  • Mineral front and back crystals
  • Simple dial. I would have liked Roman numerals but I couldn't find any off the shelf dials like that.
  • Blue moon hands
  • Total cost less than $300.
  • All commonly available off-the-shelf parts!

What do you guys think? I am very happy at the way it turned out. It is reminiscent of a Breguet Classique or the Raymon Weil Maestro although I wasn't thinking about those when I put the watch together. I was actually thinking about really old Hamilton pocket watches. :p I definitely did not intend to do a straight up homage watch, somehow it ended up being similar to some famous watches.

Also, do you think this strap is right for this watch? I think it looks good, but I think there might be a better option somewhere out there.

One improvement idea: I think I need to apply a high-gloss polish the the watch.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Re: Made my own affordable dress watch - poor man's breguet classique homage

Love it! Congrats on the very cool project, looks superb! :thumbup:

·
Banned
100 Posts

That's really nice. It's so hard to find simple, understated watches for low price. The irony is that the simpler the watch, the more expensive it usually is. Whereas the gaudy, huge ones with busy dials are so easy to obtain.

I think it would really pop with a black strap.

And the best part is, when chicks say "Nice watch, what kind is it?" you say, "I made it." |>

·
Registered
8,348 Posts

Brilliant! I love it. Reminds me of a Kemmner Deck watch or Stowa Marine. I love this look. Very well done.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fantastic job! I personally think that the colorations between the strap and hands work extremely well together!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Where did you source all of the parts from?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where did you source all of the parts from?
I got the movement out of an old Tissot I had. I am pretty sure that all other parts are from Ofrei.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Very very nice! I am a sucker for blue hands on a white dial dress watch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow thats awesome - is there some guide or something on how to do something like that? Probably wont ever do it but its really interesting

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Wow thats awesome - is there some guide or something on how to do something like that? Probably wont ever do it but its really interesting
Assembling the items just require steady hands and some simple tools. Parts can be obtained ready to assemble. EXCEPT the one hard part is cutting the stem to fit the case.

Some would argue that the hardest part is installing the hands--and yes installing hands could be easy to screw up.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Dial and hands combo looks nice.

·
Registered
607 Posts
.....One improvement idea: I think I need to apply a high-gloss polish the the watch.

Superb job! I wish I had your skill. High-gloss polish would look good I reckon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Assembling the items just require steady hands and some simple tools. Parts can be obtained ready to assemble. EXCEPT the one hard part is cutting the stem to fit the case.

Some would argue that the hardest part is installing the hands--and yes installing hands could be easy to screw up.
Where would one get parts? Is there such a thing as a "newegg for watch parts"?

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Congrats. I wish I knew half of what you have forgotten about watches... ;-)

·
Banned
2,545 Posts
You created a gorgeous timepiece, my friend!

Those blued hands, that clear dial, and particularly day / date combo always spin my head.

Wear it in the best of health . . .

Capt. Serdal

1 - 20 of 27 Posts