WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
I just realized my cheap little watch tools have been magnetized because I put them next to my walkie talkie, and the walkie has a big speaker with strong magnet. I tested all by putting the bits near a compass, and the compass moves.
Even the buckles on my Nato straps have been magnetized.

How strong does a magnet need to be until it breaks a mechanical watch?

Second question, will those cheap blue demagnetizers from amazon work ?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
I just went through the same thing having my first experience with a magnetized watch. The consensus is that the little blue contraptions work ... mostly, provided you get one that works in the first place. A few DOA's reported but mostly positive reviews. Second, simply retest the objects after demagnetization with the same compass and you should have your answer. If this is going to happen a lot to you, you may want to look into a better demagnetizer. The blue Chinese ones aren't exactly built to last a lifetime.

FYI, I have never heard of a magnet actually "breaking" a watch.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer about the demagnetizer. What I meant with "break" was the accuracy goes "haywire".

I just went through the same thing having my first experience with a magnetized watch. The consensus is that the little blue contraptions work ... mostly, provided you get one that works in the first place. A few DOA's reported but mostly positive reviews. Second, simply retest the objects after demagnetization with the same compass and you should have your answer. If this is going to happen a lot to you, you may want to look into a better demagnetizer. The blue Chinese ones aren't exactly built to last a lifetime.

FYI, I have never heard of a magnet actually "breaking" a watch.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
I don't know exactly how to answer that with some sort of "measurement" that would be quantifiable for you. How would you measure the magnets strength? I would simply say keep your watch away from magnetic sources ... when in doubt do the compass test with your watch that you already know about. If your tools and not your watch are the main problem, they sell a lot of specific demagnetizers for just that purpose. Since demagnetizing a watch won't hurt it and if you have a demagnetizer that you know works, simply demagnetize it if you suspect an issue.

Are you exposed to a lot of magnetic sources daily? If not I would not worry too much about it. I have been collecting for nearly 20 years and as stated I have just recently run across my first magnetized example.

I will say that I have heard you should not demagnetize a watch when there is power in the main spring ... to let the watch run all the way down on power before attempting to demagnetize it. I don't really know for sure how true it is but for me it is a simple precaution I will gladly take, just in case there is any validity to it ;) .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.