WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am with perhaps another nutty question for all of you to tackle peruse .
Read an article by Ariel Adams talking about protection from magnetic fields.
Watches with this added feature , fending off the effects of magnetic fields on watch movements are
helpful, but really necessary??
If i had an MRI done I would take the watch off and put it in a locker
Have YOU been affected by a magnetic field lately ??................see article below

Regards

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 15,000 Gauss Watch Review | aBlogtoWatch

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi
About a month ago work colleague mentioned his Seamaster auto had gone crazy gaining 30mins in 2 hours and said he was sending into the AD for an estimate.
I got him to bring it in to work and I demagnetised it in less than 10 mins in my £10 cheapo ebay demagnatiser. He was amazed - could have been a big bill from the stealer!
Turned out he'd taken it off and put it on his work bench next to a magnetic pick up tool.
Surprisng as I thought Seamasters were shielded? If that's true I'd definately say that magnetic field protection is overated - because it didn't work!

Regards
Tony.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Not all Seamaster Aqua Terra are resistant to magnetic fields, only the >15000 Gauss is.
I have never had a watch magnetized, but do find it a nice extra on a watch.
Maybe it's just a fluke, but my tactico TC2 has a magnetic shield and it is the most accurate watch I have.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hi
About a month ago work colleague mentioned his Seamaster auto had gone crazy gaining 30mins in 2 hours and said he was sending into the AD for an estimate.
I got him to bring it in to work and I demagnetised it in less than 10 mins in my £10 cheapo ebay demagnatiser. He was amazed - could have been a big bill from the stealer!
Turned out he'd taken it off and put it on his work bench next to a magnetic pick up tool.
Surprisng as I thought Seamasters were shielded? If that's true I'd definately say that magnetic field protection is overated - because it didn't work!

Regards
Tony.
I've looked at some of those. Some people complain they don't work or can't get them to work. Which one do you have?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi
The one I bought is the little red square one, says something like SUISSCO on it but it's made in India, 2 pin mains plug. Most of the cheap ebay ones are blue and rectangular, can't vouch for those but mine certainly works.
Demagged the watch about 5 times from different angles, lifting slowly, vertically away to a distance of about 2 feet whilst holding the power button. Checked the residual magnetism after each attempt using a free downloaded EMF phone app. Worked a treat, do all my mechanical watches now.

Regards
Tony

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've magnetized a watch in the past. Done it with a drill putting in some holes on a wall. Didn't even know about magnetism for mechanical watches but my time was off a couple hours after using the drill. So, for me, I wouldn't mind having more tech in a watch to remove another potential effect on accuracy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've accidentally magnetized watches a couple of times by leaving them too close to my iPad (magnets in the cover did it), the $10 de-magnetizer sorted me out. I could clearly do with a little assistance in the inbuilt protection area (or a sharper memory...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts