1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
607 Posts
My best score at the goodwill in the last 2 years was a gp 1950s Dulux on a nice* stainless expansion bracelet.
There are definitely a few nice pieces in there.

*If any expansion bracelet can be called nice.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
A Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, Doxa Sub, and Bulova chrono all cozy together for one.

I see Accutron, Ollech Wajs, and Longines also....

Those are the ones that pop out to me at first glance anyway.
Wow,you know your onions,i only recognized the Bulova chrono,and that sweet gold number at the back with the coin edge bezel and 5 stars to dial,i wonder who made that one,it`s hard to read the dial?

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes guy0783, the first three are the biggies. The others are just cherries on the thickly-iced cake!
The Blancpain $5,000, the Doxa Sub 300T $2000 minimum, the Bulova chrono another $1,500.

I posted as much here:

What am I missing here?

Reactions: busmatt

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wow,you know your onions,i only recognized the Bulova chrono,and that sweet gold number at the back with the coin edge bezel and 5 stars to dial,i wonder who made that one,it`s hard to read the dial?
Longines Admiral, and the bezel is Florentine buddy!

Also a red-dial Bulova Oceanographer, very nice.
Bulova Senator from the 1950's with scalloped edge case.

Big bucks all told!

·
Registered
762 Posts
A Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, Doxa Sub, and Bulova chrono all cozy together for one.

I see Accutron, Ollech Wajs, and Longines also....

Those are the ones that pop out to me at first glance anyway.
Thanks! Spotting them doesn't seem to be the problem for me....it's the being able to pay for them thing that gets me. Lol

It hurts when you recognize a deal and it's just not a good enough deal for your wallet.

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A quickie loan and you're set to double your money at least!

·
Registered
741 Posts
yes, the blancpain is the grail here, but...

and this is the risk with any auction where the lot is poorly photographed and the casebacks not removed...it could be a fake. the others, well, i doubt they would be faked.

but can you imagine spending that money on a cheap chinese knockoff? i think i'd die.

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is from a charity shop, don't think they would fake them.
You would get your dough back if they were I should think.
Hopefully...

·
Registered
355 Posts
We browse Salvation Army for various vintage items, including watches. They recently put up a sign saying that they do not guarantee the authenticity of any item sold, even in their auctions. So, no returns. I tread lightly.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Another option is that those can be with only the bits left out of movements... From some watchmakers estate, watches that were used for parts

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anything could be wrong I suppose, but I'm a "glass half full" guy, and those watches are well worth the price paid IMHO.

Longines Admiral (that looks to be gold), Blancpain Aqua Lung, Doxa late 1960's Sub 300T, Bulova 1970's chronograph "D" (this is fitted with a Valjoux 7734), Bulova Accutron Spaceview, several dive watches make unknown, worldtimer make unknown, 1950's Bulova Senator, 1970's Bulova Oceanographer, various Timex, several Seiko 5's and other models, and others we can't tell that may be valuable.

A nice little goldmine, methinks!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
On the other "end of the spectrum", there's the so-called "government auctions" where you can bid on items that have ridiculous "sellers estimates" of "value". They also have one of the lowest feedback ratings I've ever seen allowed on this website.

But don't let this scare you off, but maybe adding the "19.5% applied to the winning bid" will make you think twice?

BTW, this isn't actually "the government" auctioning these items but a so-called "Broker".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts