WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone has some experience with this. I know every room is different based on the lighting and such. so its just a General type question I guess.

would the lighting in a bedroom be enough to maintain the charge on a G-Shock Rangeman? I have had mine a little over a year and never worried about the battery after I let it charge fully after purchasing it. I often put it on for the weekends as I would be off to the shooting range or in the woods or just doing something in general that I didn't want to wear my Orange Monster for (my daily watch). this always was good enough. however, last few months (I'm bad with time, but 6 month or more would be a good estimate). I have not worn it at all. and I had left it in a box with no lighting not really thinking much about it (didn't realize how long I would be going without wearing it, or how long it had been). I pulled it out this weekend and it was dead. so dead in fact, that after leaving it outside for an entire work day and part of the next, it was only at medium, and everything had reset. it saved nothing... that's pretty dead.

so I am thinking, if the lighting in my bedroom, being on all day (other than at night when sleeping) would keep it charged up, maybe I can take a watch out of my watch box (its full, and I don't wear half of what's in there), and put this in it (clear top). maybe it will stay charged. I don't like leaving it on window sills and such. everything in my house has to have a place. if that makes sense.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
It's going to depend on how bright your bedroom lighting is. :-d

GW-9400 charging chart.jpg

As that chart shows, it's going to take approximately 18 hours of SUNLIGHT to get all the way to high -- you said it was "outside" for a day and a half. If it was cloudy it's going to take even longer, but Casio estimates 23 hours of sun to go from "dead" to "full."

Also according to that chart, 8 hours a day of indoor fluorescent lighting should be enough of a "maintenance charge" to offset Casio's normal daily estimated use of the alarm and backlight. If your bedroom light is brighter than Casio's 500 lux estimate, it won't need the full 8 hours; if it's not as bright it will need more time.

My advice, based on my multiple solar/atomic watches, is to put the watch outside until it hits "high," then leave it another 5 hours if it's sunny and longer if it's cloudy to get it to "full." (When people stop charging their watch as soon as it hits "H" they're back in a week asking why it's on "M" again. :) ) After it's fully charged, IF you don't wear it enough and it drops to "medium" in a few months, just charge it again the same way -- before it gets to "low" or below!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
listen, I'm trying to be lazy here. :p

I have a Citizen Eco drive that is a no frills watch that I love because I swear that watch only needs to charge for 1 minuted every 345 years. lol.

I left my G shock out again most all of yesterday. just got it back inside this morning. Its on high but I will probably put it out again just to try and top it off.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I have a G-shock tough solar that is flashing CHG that was in a dark environment for a while and for a couple of weeks it's been on a window sill and it still flashes CHG. There is no time showing at all but the module makes it seem like if it is in level 4 timekeeping should be displayed. Is that correct?

Also it is in the sun now so how soon will it get to level 3 where it will flash LOW and at least show the time?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have a G-shock tough solar that is flashing CHG that was in a dark environment for a while and for a couple of weeks it's been on a window sill and it still flashes CHG. There is no time showing at all but the module makes it seem like if it is in level 4 timekeeping should be displayed. Is that correct?

Also it is in the sun now so how soon will it get to level 3 where it will flash LOW and at least show the time?
The rate of charge would be model dependent owing to variation in the charging panel size.

If the time does not show even if you put it under the sun, you likely need a new battery.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I would think as long as it is in level 4 the battery is not dead or else it would be in level 5 with nothing showing or flashing. BTW this is a watch that is only a few years old and rarely worn. Having said that I have a GW5600 I bought way back in 2005/2006 and it has the original battery and still works and is always on HIGH. I seriously doubt the battery has failed. I just want to know if any Casio solar that is flashing CHG will also show the time or does it need to get to level 3 or LOW before the time is displayed?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts

Different models of solar G's take different amounts of time to charge, because the solar panels on different models are slightly different sizes.

If you're talking about "level 3" and "level 4" it sounds like you've already at least LOOKED at the manual -- what does the manual say, and what model number is your watch?

Is the watch actually IN the sun now, or is it still on a windowsill and the sun is out? If it's still on a windowsill, is the sun shining ON the watch?

How long was it in a "dark environment?" If it was a year or two, there's a small chance that the battery will need to be replaced, but most G's bounce back after enough exposure to light.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I just want to know if any Casio solar that is flashing CHG will also show the time or does it need to get to level 3 or LOW before the time is displayed?
Again, this probably depends on the particular model, since Casio has changed the way they've built their solar and solar/atomic watches in the ~15 years they've been building them.

The GW-6900 manual claims that only the timekeeping display will work when "CHG" is flashing (which is level 4), while all functions and display indicators are disabled.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
It's in the sun now but it is partly cloudy so not the ideal setting to charge the watch. Maybe it was in dark environment for 6-7 months tops. The model is the G-5600KG-3

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The GW-6900 manual claims that only the timekeeping display will work when "CHG" is flashing (which is level 4), while all functions and display indicators are disabled.
The G-5600KG-3 has the 3160 module and says pretty much what you said but maybe we are both mistakenly thinking when it says timekeeping, meaning it is still KEEPING time, but just not displaying it until it gets to level 3?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
The G-5600KG-3 has the 3160 module and says pretty much what you said but maybe we are both mistakenly thinking when it says timekeeping, meaning it is still KEEPING time, but just not displaying it until it gets to level 3?
After looking at both manuals again, I think that you're probably right! It doesn't actually say "timekeeping display" as I said above, it says "except for timekeeping and the CHG (charge) indicator, all function and display indicators disabled." (Quoted here to keep everybody else from having to go to both manuals. ;-) )

It probably just needs more exposure to light to get to level 3 -- 6 or 7 months of darkness probably didn't cause any permanent damage!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Yeah I doubt any damage to the battery was caused. Initially I had removed the back of the watch probably over a year ago, since I was trying to adjust the trimmer screw for the most accurate amount of +/- accuracy per month. I also had the watch face down to purposely keep it in the ultra power saving mode where the display will always remain blank for the sole purpose of limiting charge/discharge cycles for the benefit of maximizing the battery life, since every charge/discharge cycle on these CTL1616 batteries will take it one step closer to the end of the batteries lifespan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I never deliberately charged a G-Shock solar watch. I have different watches and often a G-Shock is lying in a box in a drawer for a couple of weeks before I wear it again. When I wear it, it is moslty hidden under my sleeve and hardly sees any sunlight. The battery status always remained at "H", so it seems to need very little light to maintain its charge. I assume regular indoor lighting will suffice to keep it charged.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
With mine I always make sure the Power Save mode is on. I just checked one of my watches, (GW-6900), which hasn't been worn since the 1st week of December '15 so a couple of months in the drawer. The charge is still on high.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Most of my solar G's -- the ones I don't wear frequently -- sit on a stand in my west-facing bedroom where the lights are usually off. They typically last anywhere from six to nine months on "high" with power save "off" and the hourly chime "on," but eventually drop to "medium" despite the room getting brighter in the afternoon on sunny days.

The ones that I DO wear frequently usually stay on "high" year round, since they're close to "full" when winter rolls around. The exception is usually whichever watch I wear most in the wintertime, since I'll use the backlight two or three times a day and the countdown timer once or twice, and the watch won't get enough light to recharge from those uses. I'll usually put that watch outside on a sunny day in February or March, and that solves that problem for another year!

·
Premium Member
7,544 Posts
I also had the watch face down to purposely keep it in the ultra power saving mode where the display will always remain blank for the sole purpose of limiting charge/discharge cycles for the benefit of maximizing the battery life, since every charge/discharge cycle on these CTL1616 batteries will take it one step closer to the end of the batteries lifespan.
Whether the battery is allowed to discharge to 50% and then recharged once, or the battery is allowed to discharge to 99% and then recharged 50 times, the effect on the battery's overall useful life is the same.

A charge/discharge cycle is defined as when the total of all discharges/charges totals 100%. Makes no difference whether it is 50% x 2 or 1% x 100.

HTH

·
Registered
443 Posts
According to How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University the number of charge/discharge cycles would vary depending on the Depth of Discharge (DoD).

Note that the above refers to lithium batteries while we are talking about CTL (cobalt titanium lithium) here, though they likely have similar recharging capabilities.

At the end of the day, just do whatever you are comfortable with, as the solar technology is supposedly to relieve rather than induce stress.;-)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thread revival!

So I'm having a similar problem with the same watch G-5600-kg (olive green) as tic-toc/g-shock. The watch is worn only on the weekends and otherwise goes into power save mode undisturbed. Auto EL is also kept off. The battery level only seems to display high, but I'll put it in a sunny window for up to 4 hours before wearing it most days. After a day of wear, minimal function usage, I'll put the watch down, maybe shower, or fix dinner, or even sometimes its still on my wrist before I notice it's gone completely dead. Not power save mode- dead, seemingly lost power, and has reset itself upon being picked back up.

This means that timekeeping will cease and the watch will revert back to 2004 calendar date and Tokyo timezone factory settings. The strange thing is, it doesn't take any charging to function again, it just has to be woken up and reset, and the battery display is back to high. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to these power failures except that my cold house- watch could experience around 60F degrees off wrist- could be draining the reserve power to a point where it shuts down until it is either warmed up or charged to full again. I'm only noticing this problem over the winter, so my mind may be skewed against the weather.

I guess my frustration stems from power level going straight from high to naught, zero, without any warming. Why even have the medium, low, and "charge" settings if it's just going to flatline back to 2004. The only thing I can think of is that the watch is now closer to 15 years old an may finally need a replacement power cell?

Would love any thoughts on this old thread, whether you think it's time for a new battery, or maybe the power save circuit is to blame. This is my FAVORITE G shock and travel watch, I really would like to keep it running right.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Funny this came up. Been giving my Gs some winter sun today and was wondering...

Once they hit 'H' is that a full charge or will it keep charging, does 'H' mean full?
I know they can go from 'M' to dead in a short space of time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts