WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

To cut a long story short, I inherited a Headwind (bi metal) with the leather strap. Stupidity took the better of me about a month ago and I badly damaged it.

Luckily I have insurance and sent the watch to the insurance company and they in turn have sent it on to Breitling UK.

The damage done was more then I thought with Breitling coming back saying that it needs the following:-

FULL MOVEMENT EXCHANGE/REPLACEMENT: £1560.00
FULL DIAL REPLACEMENT (INCLUDING LOGO, BATONS, DIAL FEET, ETC): £340.00
REPLACEMENT CRYSTAL GLASS: £160.00
REPLACEMENT MIDDLE CASE: £530.00
REPLACEMENT BEZEL: £450.00
EXCHANGE CROWN: £65.00
REPLACEMENT CASING RING: £30.00
REPLACEMENT BLUE LEATHER PIN-BUCKLE STRAP: £90.00 (OPTIONAL)

Total Repair Cost:- £3225.00

The insurance company have said that they will cover it (my excess is £250) so happy days I thought. Then I thought a bit more......

Looking at the above, the only thing that is being kept original is the case back! So for all intense and purpose it has lost its sentimental value as it's being basically exchanged for a new watch. Which is great BUT....

This watch will only carry the same guarantee as a service and because it has been dealt with via the insurance company if anything fails within that time the watch has to go back to them and then Breitling adding weeks on to repair times etc.

My question is (looking at current values of new breitling, omegas and tudors) would you argue the point that it is technically a uneconomical repair that will lose its sentiment and as such ask for it to be swapped for something new which carrys 5 year guarantees, is totally new and is fundamentally the same/less money?

What's your views/opinions?

I'm just thinking (sentiment aside) that even with all this work the watch will only be worth about £1800 (if lucky) second hand, where as a new watch for less money then the repair would be worth more.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Inspiredezigns

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I mean..... if it's got sentimental value having just the case back is better than nothing right? If you're trying to save the insurance company money then, by all means, go for it, but if they're willing to pay for it and you get to keep some part of the watch I would say go for it.

On another note, how does one damage a watch THAT badly.......?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose, I'm just trying to weigh things up. I'm a bit OCD about it (to the point of even contemplating having the watch back unfixed and keeping it rather then losing the majority of it....if that makes sense)

As for the damage. Hitting a rough concrete floor at speed didn't agree with the watch. Breitling being breitling will change things as a matter of course even if it had a tiny bit of damage no doubt, in my head I only thought it would cost about £800 max!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
£1560.00 to replace what I believe is an eta 2824 movement with a day module strikes me as excessive. You are essentially building a watch with parts. I would consider a new watch. Chances are it's market price will be less than the cost to rebuild the old one and the insurance company may waive your deductible.

·
Premium Member
71,391 Posts
As I see it you have two choices:-
1/ Have a piece that's got lot of sentimental value yet is well mashed up
2/ Have a watch that operates perfectly and is to all intents and purposes new yet because of the watchback still has a little sentimental value.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well for me this would partially depend on how much the watch cost new and in my ignorance I don't know.

But since I don't like the watch I would ask the company for the money, if they will play ball. Minus your excess they are forking out £3k. So it would be perfectly sensible for them to just give you £2900 for you to put towards another watch.

But you bought the watch so you must like it, so...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone,

Update for you. I have spoke to the insurance company and they do not get discount on breitling repairs so they would be forking out £3K to get the watch repaired. They have however offered me a voucher for £5k (as this is what the modern day equivalent is priced at) obviously they get a discount on the voucher so they have said it makes no odds to them what I choose.

Looking at it and being sensible my head is saying take the £5k as that model of watch (on various second hand sites) is only achieving £1800ish market value and with the voucher I would be able to get something that would have normally been out of my reach....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,464 Posts
seems overpricing kill to me, try to send to it to Govberg in the USA an official breitling service centre and very well reputed AD who will perhaps have a cheaper quote

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Personally, I'd take the 5k and use it toward a new watch that I really like. My workaround in regard to the sentimental value would be that the old one financed the new one, and I think I could buy in to the notion that the sentimental value somehow carried over.

Yeah, I imagine that'll be a bit of a stretch for some folks. But in a sense, the new watch becomes something that was essentially "gifted" to you....and if it's something you form a long-term bond with, the sentimental value should take root and grow; particularly if it's another Breitling "inspired" by the original.

And heck, maybe they'd even let you hang on to the original case-back. You could have it mounted on a little plaque above a nice inscription...or even have it affixed to the top of really nice watch box to pay tribute to the "origins" of a budding collection.

Ok, ok....I'm coloring a wee-bit outside the lines now.

But that's what I'd probably do.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
And let us know who this company is!

if Carlsberg did watch insurance...
What they basically said is my watch is the equivalent to a breitling galactic bi metal so as it's a new for old policy they can give me the value in vouchers (5k) to replace up to the value of its new equivalent which only costs them £2750 they said, so theoretically it's actually £500 less to pay out but I've gotten £1750 more..... so they are quite happy to pay out less and give out more....Strange how these things work.

Also it via my bank (home insurance). They have been pretty sound if I'm honest.

I think I might check out the new pelagos....anyone any recommendations for a £5k watch from bremont, omega, breitling, cartier, tag etc ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
If the watch has sentimental value I would get it repaired by an independent watchmaker, which will cost considerably less than Breitling's quote.

You can fund the repair by spending the £5k voucher on a watch and then selling it immediately on here or ebay.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Personally I would take the 5K and go buy myself a Bremont Ti Boeing Chrono and call it a day. That advice is based on if you are happy with the rest of your watchbox.
Kevin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts