WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, let's say you're going to be somewhere where you know your watch WILL be noticed. Is there a Statement you think it would make about you? If so, what "Statement" would you like it to be?

Mine would be..."Interesting, didn't know they even MADE that"

This Pagani design that I'm wearing today is one of those watches. They make the watch, I modified it to my liking.

·
Registered
31,631 Posts
That I am a watch enthusiast not a speculator or someone wanting to wear “The badge”

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not need a watch to make a statement about me.
Must be true. I don't need it either, but it's funny how some folks react when they see what choice you've made today. This goes for the cars we drive as well.

·
Registered
31,631 Posts
It would be this one, and the collective mental statement in the audience would be "who the f invited this guy that is diverting the attention from my $70K Nautilus with his orange monstrosity?"

View attachment 15531468
That is gorgeous, and def not a monstrosity PF!!

Reactions: Panerol Forte

·
Registered
31,631 Posts
Tried on a Nautilus at Salon QP one year and was thoroughly underwhelmed, so I’ll take the Pam any day.

Reactions: tacit

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
I think if it gets noticed, any watch makes some sort of statement. It's part of picking the suitable watch for any occasion. Some example statements:

"I take my job in the offshore industry seriously."

"I support the Race for Water Foundation."

"I think quirky watches are fun."

"My watch should not be in focus today."

"I represent my sports club and wear its colors."

The list could go on and on..

·
Registered
10,751 Posts
Any one of my basic four, since they are all "me" (and honestly, I can't imagine any possible scenario where it would matter to anyone else--and I've been to meetings, events and parties with some of the most "important" people in the world)--as always, it just doesn't matter.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
So, let's say you're going to be somewhere where you know your watch WILL be noticed. Is there a Statement you think it would make about you? If so, what "Statement" would you like it to be?
This is really just a slightly camouflaged version of the 'what does wearing brand x say about the wearer' thread.
Watches don't make any statements, it's just what the wearer thinks/hopes the observer will think, along the lines of 'That guy must be cool because he's wearing X', or maybe 'What a d bag for wearing that' or even, 'What's he trying to prove with that watch'. Yeah watches don't make statements, it's all wishful thinking and it seems a sad waste of time to worry/care about what other people may - or may not - be thinking

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Frankly, I don't think people notice watches. The chances of my running into someone from this forum is quite slim.

I would wear this one - "I make my own rules".

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
watch can complete an outfit pretty well.

I think if anyone notices it's most likely one of four:

1) fellow watch nerd
2) someone who owns the same watch
3) you're wearing a Rolex, Cartier or Omega
4) Someone is checking you out and using the watch as an opening line - you sly dog :)

·
Premium Member
10,738 Posts
This is really just a slightly camouflaged version of the 'what does wearing brand x say about the wearer' thread.
Watches don't make any statements, it's just what the wearer thinks/hopes the observer will think, along the lines of 'That guy must be cool because he's wearing X', or maybe 'What a d bag for wearing that' or even, 'What's he trying to prove with that watch'. Yeah watches don't make statements, it's all wishful thinking and it seems a sad waste of time to worry/care about what other people may - or may not - be thinking
Seabee, I agree with you... when you start to think about what others think of you, you end up in a mould deprived from your own personality; add to this that whatever you do, the only person that will always approve of you is yoursel; so, before leaving your house in the morning for a business meeting, look at yourself in the mirror, and if you like your look with that new sombrero, just wear it proudly to that meeting and let them think whatever they want 😉

·
Registered
265 Posts
Watches are rarely noticed. Even if somebody notices, the chance of meeting a fellow watch enthusiast that will actually understand what you are wearing are slim to none. I also agree with @Seabee1 that it's completely a waste of time and energy to worry/care what anybody else thinks. The delight I get from wearing my watches is all that matters to me.

If it were a statement, it would be "This is me!"

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pretty negative. It's a hobby, for fun...

1 - 20 of 88 Posts