WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a watch strap be made out of fabric I find at a craft shop? Are there any properties the fabric must have to work as a watch strap? I'm assuming it'd have to be backed by leather, stitched, and possibly padded.

Is there anyone here who has done this?

·
Registered
994 Posts
If you're backing it with the right leather, and forming the spring bar tunnel from the leather, then the fabric can be almost anything. The ability to seal the edges against fraying/unraveling would be nice. I have made a strap from old fashioned fire hose that I split.

Reactions: neurogenesis

·
Vendor
3,058 Posts
Can a watch strap be made out of fabric I find at a craft shop? Are there any properties the fabric must have to work as a watch strap? I'm assuming it'd have to be backed by leather, stitched, and possibly padded.

Is there anyone here who has done this?
The relative strength of the fabric is probably a consideration if you aren't going to back it with leather, but other than that I think some of the talented strap makers on this forum could make a strap out of anything. :-!

Backing with leather would probably be necessary if you are making a traditional two piece style strap, but for some inspiration of what you can do with just fabric alone, take a look at the madras NATOs that J. Crew sells. Similar to these:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't like one-piece straps, so I was thinking of conventional construction of a two-piece.

I was looking at some neat, colorful dog collars yesterday and wondering what size lugs they'd fit :) The edges were finished but the ends would have to be re-finished where it was cut, and any holes put in it would have to be reinforced.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I don't like one-piece straps, so I was thinking of conventional construction of a two-piece.

I was looking at some neat, colorful dog collars yesterday and wondering what size lugs they'd fit :) The edges were finished but the ends would have to be re-finished where it was cut, and any holes put in it would have to be reinforced.
The dog collars are probably nylon, if you make your holes by poking a piece of hot wire thru, the holes will be plenty strong.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dog collars are probably nylon, if you make your holes by poking a piece of hot wire thru, the holes will be plenty strong.
They were covered in fabric, so I think holes would have to be reinforced, perhaps like a button hole. The edges were sewn, so any cuts I made would have to be sewn, too.

I had wondered how nylon edges were finished. Sounds like they're just slightly melted?

·
Registered
994 Posts
They were covered in fabric, so I think holes would have to be reinforced, perhaps like a button hole. The edges were sewn, so any cuts I made would have to be sewn, too.

I had wondered how nylon edges were finished. Sounds like they're just slightly melted?
Usually cut with a hot knife.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts