WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to add either the Seiko SKX007 or Orient Mako to my collection, but want to make sure both watches are adaptable and appropriate for any occasion and environment. I know the quality and reliability of both watches are excellent, so I am not concerned about the actual watches themselves. I am concerned about which bands are needed to make the watches versatile. For example, what bands are needed to make the watches appropriate for casual use, office use, and formal use?

I am hoping this thread will be full of pictures that exemplify the adaptability and versatility of the Seiko SKX007 and Orient Mako.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Well, Here is my SKX007 on all of the straps it usually lives on.

I would call the Super Jubilee (sorry no pic) and Leather the more formal pair:

And assorted NATOS for more casual:

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Whilst IMO the Seiko is a better watch I actually feel the black or blue Mako is more versatile. The applied markers and slightly more subdued bezel make it more appropriate for dressy situations than the more obviously toolish SKX007.
Whichever you decide one my advice would be to get it on the bracelet (both are good) and then buy the following:
1) Hirsch Grand Duke leather strap - these have a lightly sporty look which suits a diver but aren't overboard. Here's a pic of one on an Alpinist.

2) A decent rubber strap for swimming - I'm no expert on these but I have a decent enough one on my Mako that cost lest than a tenner.

3) A NATO or Zulu strap - these are just wonderful in the summer, very comfortable and pleasantly casual. They come in all sorts of colour combos and can be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I personally have both a SKX007 and Blue Mako, both on their original bracelets; IMHO I can't really think of a situation they wouldn't fit in with their OEM look (pls no one bring up dress watch/tux etiquette... I know, I know... :roll: )

·
Registered
289 Posts
I personally have both a SKX007 and Blue Mako, both on their original bracelets; IMHO I can't really think of a situation they wouldn't fit in with their OEM look (pls no one bring up dress watch/tux etiquette... I know, I know... :roll: )
Yeah... I'm gonna have to bring it up... :) I have a Black Mako. It's currently on shell cordovan thick leather strap from International Watchman. At $15, i think you can't beat it. It's a great strap, and a great combo with BM I believe. Having said that, I don't think that neither Mako nor SKX007 can be a dress watch. What ever strap/bracelet you put them on they are still the bulky, casual, sports watches. They are divers for god's sake! If you want a dressy watch, go for something thin, lean and elegant. However, Mako can give you different looks with different straps, but they will all IMHO be casual/sporty.

I also have a bond nato for my Mako, but haven't taken any pictures yet (it looks great on it too, if you can trust my opinion).

Attachments

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Both great watches. The Mako is especially versatile, almost chameleon-like. A thick buffalo strap can actually shrink the appearance of the watch, giving it a more subtle classic feel. No need to retread the suit&diver routine, already worn into the ground isn't it? Wear what you like!

Reactions: Monocrom and drmosh

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I like the Blue Mako, because it has some color and is sporty but is not too "loud". It's a very versatile watch and can be worn with anything depending on the strap choice. I'm also a fan of the skx007, but I went with the Mako because of the option for a blue dial. I ordered my Mako on bracelet. It's a nice bracelet, but I have found that I prefer straps over bracelets now.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Black Mako with a Hamilton Khaki Black leather strap from International Watchman. I think this combo is my most versatile.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Reactions: lucduc

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
The Mako is quite the versatile watch, and one of my favorites.

(You've already seen my Watchadoo shot, above.)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Mako dressed down

and dressed up

·
Registered
1 Posts

On stock Jubilee this SKX007 is a nice watch period. The jubilee does dress it up substantially - I wear a suit/jacket everyday. This fits.
Have the Orient Mako also. A blue one. Oyster band. It is slightly more dressy. Maybe. They are close.
Build quality of each is a full step or two above and beyond Alpha, or Invicta. Easily on par with higher end watches.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to agree with the blue. And check the Mako XL CEM75002D - I think it's the best all-rounder for what you are looking for, and the main reason I went for it myself. It's equally happy as sport/casual on a rubber or NATO, or as formal on its steel bracelet, more so in this respect than the Seiko IMHO. I split my dress time between suits and t-shirts and the Blue XL is quite handsome with anything.

Photos hardly ever do justice but there are many here and on other forums:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f306/review-orient-blue-hogrider-cem75002d-automatic-285827.html

Orient CEM75002D on NATO strap

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
There is indeed a certain subdued elegence to the black Mako that makes it a near-perfect all-around watch. (Especially for those on a very tight budget.) Depending on the strap, it can fit in at the office, at formal occasions, when relaxing with friends at a pick-up game of football, and yes; even when snorkeling.

Very few watches, regardless of cost, can fit in so well everywhere. The same can be said of the blue Mako to an extent. The Pepsi Mako? Not so much. But all three are great looking. Also, perhaps it's the design of the bezels, but I've found that the black Mako feels more low-profile on the wrist than the Seiko 007.

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Can you tell me what brand is the rubber strap? An where can i get it? Thanks

L.E. also, anyone knows other brands of straps for Mako with rounded ends?
Sure. It's the 22mm Sinn U1 rubber strap. Available in the US from watchbuys.com for $120.00.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sure. It's the 22mm Sinn U1 rubber strap. Available in the US from watchbuys.com for $120.00.
Thx for the answer.. so it's the same price as the watch :) I'm wearing my mako on a F1 style Modena rubber strap but i think that rounded ends and greater thickness would add to the good looks of the Mako. Aren't there any other rubber straps like that for under 30-40$?

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Thx for the answer.. so it's the same price as the watch :) I'm wearing my mako on a F1 style Modena rubber strap but i think that rounded ends and greater thickness would add to the good looks of the Mako. Aren't there any other rubber straps like that for under 30-40$?
Modena is the best source I've found for affordable rubber straps. I'm not aware of any Sinn-like rubbers for $30-40.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Having a 007 and a Blue Mako, I have to agree with other posters. The Mako is very versatile, and on a bracelet looks good with almost anything. Thanks to this thread, I think I'll try it on leather. The 007 is a great watch, but it is certainly more tool watch in appearance. Although it is durable enough for work (and gets worn to work), I refer to the Mako as my dress diver.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts