WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Would not have thought of the nickels.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

·
Premium Member
40,906 Posts
I've been tempted to try it - might give it a go on a nato I hardly wear just in case it set the whole thing alight.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Using the coin? I'm with you - why the hell didn't I ever think of that? I've been trimming NATO's for years.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I always do this. Cut them just long enough to be held by the second ring. I don't use the penny approach. I just cut them off to a rounded profile by eye then wave them over a clean flame for a few seconds. Job done.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Did couple of mine also. First I did this leather nato by cutting with pair of sharp Fiskars fingernail scissors. I used 10 euro cent coins to get same round edge. I also removed one link with Dremel.

I also did one nylon nato and burned the ends with same coins&lighter method.

Great video and thanks to the OP too. Otherwise I wouldn't have started this quick DIY tuning at all.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
Using the coin? I'm with you - why the hell didn't I ever think of that? I've been trimming NATO's for years.
I've done this a number of times. Two observations: use a little C-clamp to hold the coins together instead of a pliers, and don't overdo it with the lighter. In my experience just a quick pass from a match or lighter with the flame held 10-20mm from the end of the strap should provide enough of a seal to prevent fraying.

·
Registered
315 Posts
And here I am trying to find extra long nato/zulu straps as my 8" wrist barely accomodates the ones I have, and in some cases there's not enough left to slip under the keeper.

·
Registered
413 Posts
And here I am trying to find extra long nato/zulu straps as my 8" wrist barely accomodates the ones I have, and in some cases there's not enough left to slip under the keeper.
Too much wrist curls?
Maybe other people (not me) here are cutting those extra long straps to regular size? :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I had given up on the strap I ordered because all the extra strap didn't work well with my puny wrists.

Here's what I ended up with after a quick alteration:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts