WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My silver cased Vulcain has a ruined movement so I am in the process of making the best of it. I won this 0 size Waltham which is being shipped to my watch maker. I also included pictures of th watch. Better a working watch assembled from parts then a ruined watch

Attachments

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
That is a very nice Waltham movement and deserves to be re-cased and used.
I look forward to seeing the finished watch.

·
Registered
741 Posts
that looks very nice.

perhaps you can help me understand something. the waltham movement doesn't appear to have the screw that allows teh stem to be removed, which makes me think it's a negative set. at least, i think that's what it's called. the stem is a part of the case in that situation. but the vulcain does appear to have it.

can that case be altered to accept this style movement? am i completely wrong about the stem arrangement on the waltham?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that looks very nice.

perhaps you can help me understand something. the waltham movement doesn't appear to have the screw that allows teh stem to be removed, which makes me think it's a negative set. at least, i think that's what it's called. the stem is a part of the case in that situation. but the vulcain does appear to have it.

can that case be altered to accept this style movement? am i completely wrong about the stem arrangement on the waltham?
Sometimes you need to know an old watch maker with a stock of parts.;-) The watchmaker that has it might not, but I talked to my old watchmaking friend today, no problem. He has the parts if he can find the time.:-! I did not mean to buy a negative set movement but what can you do.o|

·
Registered
741 Posts
huh, interesting. i wasn't aware that there was enough clearance in a non-negative set case to get the stem assembly to fit. i'd love to see what arrangement your watchmaker comes up with.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it would be rather similar to how these two were done. The first kind of shows that there is a sleeve over the winding stem and the crown surrounds it. The pendant sleeve only needs less then 1mm in the case. Either you use a big crown to hide the sleeve or crown sticks out a bit.
photos borrowed from ebay

Attachments

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked up the serial numbers the first is a 3/0 movement but the second is a later 7J model 1900 0 size so I know it can be done with good results.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think we all have a tendency, to think of the winding mechanism of a 16 or 18 size pendant setting watch, and try to envision it on a wrist watch. In the 12, 0, and 3/0 size watches the winding mechanism is quite thin. often it has a collar for alignment. The collar is not necessary in a short sleeve, just the spring fingers, that hold it in the winding position. The sleeve has to be long enough to allow for removal of the stem from the movement. the amount of room in the case and length of throw will determine how much of the sleeve protrudes. The dimensions are in the 3 to 6 millimeter range.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A quick update I got everything back from one watchmaker yesterday and to my old watchmaker friend today. Everything fits so it's a matter of waiting until Marshall has time to work on it. The first watchmaker just hasn't been in the business to have accumulated the parts to do the conversion. Marshall has all the parts but has to find them amongst his accumulation. He's really back logged but the conversion has peaked his intrest so I might get it sooner than his normal 4 to 6 weeks.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Even the watchmaker commented that it was a good save. Modifications consisted of a new case tube, sleeve (setting mechanism) stem and crown.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Oooh wow! That is NICE!!

I'm not normally an advocate of stuff like this, but when it's done for the greater good, I think it's acceptable. And beautiful! How old is that watch and what kind of time does it keep?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got it back Friday but it's about 1 min. a day for accuracy. It's a Model 1900 about mid serial number range, perhaps someone could narrow it down, but 1905 would be my guess.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Is it nice enough to get you back into wristwatches, Shangas? :)
Absolutely not! What rot! I shall be a pocketwatch wearer until they have to unhook the chain from my cold, dead corpse!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts