WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Photoshop playing around with my Soviet vintage watch photos. I added some film grain to make it look like they were shot with fast film. Then added a tad of blur because most photos back then were not razor sharp. On the color I added a little bit of red color cast. How do they look?

DSC_8868_B&W_soft.jpg

DSC_8904_B&W.jpg

DSC_8768_old color.jpg

·
Registered
132 Posts
Those look pretty good SeikoAutomatic_01!
I would only suggest trying to make the grain a bit coarser so you have a stronger contrast between the black and the white grains or even blurring slightly the grain layer afterwards to make them a bit more fuzzy.
Maybe like this? : tumblr_nn0hvySnMz1u1mutio1_1280.jpg
(The Archives)

And regarding the colour one, I think the tone is nice but how about fading it slightly as well and desaturating it a bit?
P05734.jpg
(Vintage Color Photos of US cities - SkyscraperCity)

But overall nicely done! :)

Cheers,
Lou

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Shot this in my studio a day or so ago. Applied the "vintage" based on what I used to use and see as a photographer. First step was to match the colors of vintage film, for this I chose an older Kodachrome setting with a slide film border. Next I added light leaks because those old film cameras lost their seals over time. Now we all know those old slides eventually just got tossed into a drawer or a box and got scratched, bent, water damaged, mouse poo, so I added some damage. The result, a modern reissue of a classic, Turtle 775, shot and processed like it was shot on Vietnam era equipment. I hope anyway. :)

SRP775TrurtleVintageWeb.jpg

·
Registered
132 Posts
Shot this in my studio a day or so ago. Applied the "vintage" based on what I used to use and see as a photographer. First step was to match the colors of vintage film, for this I chose an older Kodachrome setting with a slide film border. Next I added light leaks because those old film cameras lost their seals over time. Now we all know those old slides eventually just got tossed into a drawer or a box and got scratched, bent, water damaged, mouse poo, so I added some damage. The result, a modern reissue of a classic, Turtle 775, shot and processed like it was shot on Vietnam era equipment. I hope anyway. :)
That's looking really nice mharris660, well done! :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
What is split toning?
DSC_8868_B&W_soft 2.jpg

Split toning is when you can apply different hues to the light and dark portions of the composition. Here, a red was applied the dark while a yellowish sepia has applied to the lighter parts.

I also added some vignette to the corners to mimic old style lens defects.

Older pictures were often sepia toned to help preserve the image over time.

Attachments

·
Registered
886 Posts

View attachment 6842490
Ahh...the days of film photography and darkrooms. I can still smell it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts