WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just got onto these forums a few days ago and have been hooked. I've read for a few months before but only recently started posting.

As they say though "welcome to the forums, sorry about your wallet." I joined to ask about getting a nice watch to last me through grad school (birthday coming up and parents want to get me one) so I was looking at Stowa etc. Instead I ended up reading a ton about Parnis and Orient and pulling the trigger on a Parnis Portuguese homage (NOT what I started out looking at :oops:...oh well :-!).

I'm super excited for the Parnis to come but I've been reading SO MUCH about the Mako and how much people love it that I'm thinking about getting one as my daily wear watch, especially since it comes with the free watch and is on 49% off right now. I was thinking about the Pepsi Mako or the blue to be understated but slightly colorful but after seeing the pics in the "Mako Lovers Unite!" thread I'm starting to love the orange and the yellow.

OK I know this is a novel(!) but I wanted to introduce myself on the Orient forum and also solicit suggestions on the Yellow vs. Orange debate or maybe see what you guys think would be best for a 24-yr old student to wear daily, e.g. if you're just PASSIONATE about the Pepsi or something as more daily appropriate. Also, do you guys think the Orange would be too Seiko Orange Monster-ish or does it stand on its own?

I was looking at the yellow and orange on the NATO bands for the future but will prolly order on the steel band so I can switch it up as I feel like it so take that into consideration. Oh and don't say BUY BOTH(!) because I'm a student still and I just bought the Parnis (so I'd be going from 0->2 in one fell swoop already), or at least tell me which you'd buy first!

I just realized I can be characterized as mid-20s now *sigh*

Here's the pics that convinced me to look at the Makos in brighter colors (thanks to OldeCrow and jlow28 for posting their watches!)

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just received my Yellow Mako via AMZN yesterday and love it. I too struggled with yellow-vs-orange, just go with your gut. I also loved that picture on the striped zulu and am ordering one today.

Question (and sorry to threadjack): what tool will I need to remove the SS bracelet? The Bergeon 6767-F or something similar? Thanks! ANd good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha you are correct! Thanks. The Amazon page for it does indeed say "Amazon Exclusive" even though the Orient Watch USA site sells it. I guess that explains why it's more expensive. Do you guys think the Mako is worth $140 (ignoring the free watch :))? Or should I hedge and get the Pepsi Mako or the Orange and save $50?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
What it's worth is something only you can determine but these watches are a very good value even at $140. If you really want the yellow, buy it and don't look back. Otherwise you will always be wishing you had popped for it. If the yellow is really a limited edition, its not going to be around forever. When I have this dilema I have learned its better to get what you really want rather than settle for something else only to be sorry later.

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
If you hang around any watch forum long enough you will eventually want a Seiko Orange Monster. So I would get the blue or yellow Mako.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Haha you are correct! Thanks. The Amazon page for it does indeed say "Amazon Exclusive" even though the Orient Watch USA site sells it. I guess that explains why it's more expensive. Do you guys think the Mako is worth $140 (ignoring the free watch :))? Or should I hedge and get the Pepsi Mako or the Orange and save $50?
They had a discount code that appeared in the video on the Mako page that allowed me to order a blue Mako for $95. I had already ordered a Mako XL for $125 from the code in that video.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you hang around any watch forum long enough you will eventually want a Seiko Orange Monster. So I would get the blue or yellow Mako.
Yes, I would browse the seiko/citizen forum first before I'd buy a Mako. (Hint: SKX)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I owned OM and sold it. Super quality braclet was off chain lol. I liked everything about the watch except it would be easier to point out things that could need improving. Bezel was nice but kind funky styling for my taste. If I did dive then im sure it's very nice underwater. Has a serious heft to watch and will wear down your arm! Dont think tigerwoods would tee it up with one on. Chrome accents not really my thing, all titanium case in mute black or steel would be neat. I just ordered mako blue. For the price of yellow and orange get both? Sell one of them. Im leaning towards new SNK in orange if price of yellow orient would drop id pick it up $95.

·
Registered
57 Posts
.... Has a serious heft to watch and will wear down your arm! Dont think tigerwoods would tee it up with one on.
The mako with bracelet weighs heavier than the OM on bracelet. Just a heads up:-!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts