WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
have been lurking here and am now going to purchase a blue mako (never heard of it before but it looks great and is rated excellent here. My question is that browsing the bay (looking at sellers recommended from here) I have found two types of blue mako - one with day/date (similar to all pics here) and one with just the day on it and no pusher (of course :) ) Are these identical apart from that? I will post pics of my small watch collection (two at this point, a dress Tissot and a gold Tressa and am waiting on a Croton dive(cheap beater) and potential mako - curses curses to you all :-d

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
The blue Mako is the one with the day pusher (Orient model # CEM65002). I suspect the other watch you are looking at is the one with the model # CER1A002D. I've seen good reviews of this watch, but I've never seen one in person. My guess is that both in terms of performance and finish it is comparable to the Mako, though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I am torn between them both - I really really want a good looking watch, just intrigued to find out if the blue and lume are similar or even, one hopes, identical.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Thanks - I am torn between them both - I really really want a good looking watch, just intrigued to find out if the blue and lume are similar or even, one hopes, identical.
Check with Marc at Long Island Watch. He sells both, and will no doubt be able to tell you if the date-only watch matches the Mako in lume and, for lack of a better term, "blue-ness."

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Go with the Blue Mako. The Submariner-like Orient is classy, but it has a different movement, less substantial bracelet, and lower lume. Also, there is no double push-button release as part of the clasp. Go with the Mako for the sportier look, and the Submariner look for the dressy days.

Trust me on this....

Angelis:-!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Go with the Blue Mako. The Submariner-like Orient is classy, but it has a different movement, less substantial bracelet, and lower lume. Also, there is no double push-button release as part of the clasp. Go with the Mako for the sportier look, and the Submariner look for the dressy days.

Trust me on this....

Angelis:-!
What's the difference between the Mako and the Sub movement ???
I know for the day/date and the pusher but is the quality the same ???

Thanks,
Phil.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Sure the movements are of high quality, and made in Japan---and I confirmed that with Orient Watch, Co. I believe that movement in the watch we are talking about is the Orient 46D---extremely reliable. But for me, I need to have day/date.

If you are interested, I think that you should go with it.

Angelis

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have to say I just love these forums - such courteous and knowledgeable feedback - much appreciated, especially to a newbie poster and wannabe newbie collector. Did a little bit of research on the Orients that maybe will help me put this to rest (99% there)
CER1A002D: Is what I believe is the Mako with just date
CEM65002: Is the classic Mako (the one I am drawn towards)
2ER00002D0: Submariner (blue bezel/blueface)
Am I on the right track with this? Cheers

Edit: Ps when I finally get it I assume this is the thread that I will post to?

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Model # : CER1A001B - Black dial
Model # : CER1A002D - Blue dial
These are the Mako-like with date only---new models

Model # : CEM65001B - SS version---Black Mako
Model # : CEM65001M - SS version---Orange Mako
Model # : CEM65002D--Blue Mako
  • Model: 2ER00002D--Orient Submariner-like Blue
  • Model: 2ER00001B--Orient Submariner-like Black
These are the various model #s that are good for referencing.

I hope this helps.

My choice is always the Blue mako.

Angelis

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks - I think I am going to go for the "Full Mako" :) Now if I could only find a gasket for my Seiko Kinetic (no idea the model but the movement is 5M43) Have a great day!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did it! Blue Mako (well grey really :) ) on order as I type, even went for the faster shipping! Will post when it arrives, Thanks for all the help and info, I can't wait. Now wish I hadn't ordered that quartz Croton Diver last week! CA301048BSRD - well buy in haste repent at your leisure i suppose :-(
Cheers and I post a pic when it comes

·
Registered
178 Posts
so, are the dials the same with all 3 of the blue orient's? as far as the deep, mesmerizing blue finish of the traditional mako (CEM65002D)? based on ebay pics, it looks like the blue submariner is a brighter blue, and the newer blue dialed orient (date only) is a little darker.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts