WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MakTime and Vostok "Armeyskie" watches - New ЗАКАЗ МО

Guys, some of you are sure to know that MakTime and Vostok are working out watches for the Russian Ministry of Defense and remember that interviewed the head of MakTime, Aleksandr Makarov, I
asked him about these watches.

Recently I happened to stumble on an interesting article in the online version of the Russian magazine "National Defense" where the journalist of this source was interviewing Makarov about these watches and some photos of them were posted.

Here is the link to this article (if you are able to read it in Russian):
Íàöèîíàëüíàÿ îáîðîíà / Âîîðóæåííûå Ñèëû

The content briefly:
In the middle of March, 2010, The Minister of Defense of Russia approved the complete set of the future soldier's equipment called "Ratnik" according to the "Боец-XXI" ("Warrior-XXI") program including four types of "Armeyskie" watches.

"Armeyskie" hand wound will go to privates and sergants and "Armeyskie" self-winding will go to officers of lower and middle ranks, and finally higher officers will get chronographs.
"Armeyskie" based on Vostok Ampfibian will go to military divers.

"Armeiskie" watches have tested by the soldiers of the brigade quartered in Botlikh, the Chechen Republic. The soldiers of this brigade climbed the Elbrus with "Armeyskie' watches in 2007.

Two specialized exhibition have been carried out on the base of the armored infantry brigade from Tyoply Stan in presence of Commander General of Land Forces where MakTime were showing their samples and these samples were not only included in the program "Ratnik", but also our perspective models. MakTime regularly takes part in the "Rear Service and Supplies of Armed Forces" exhibition with its exposition.

Aleksandr Makarov also said that MakTime closely cooperate with Tutima watch company, Germany.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Re: MakTime and Vostok "Armeyskie" watches - New ЗАКАЗ МО

"Armeyskie" hand wound will go to privates and sergants and "Armeyskie" self-winding will go to officers of lower and middle ranks ...

Officers can't be trusted to remember to wind their watch? :)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

Great news! Nothing reinvigorates manufacturing like a military contract. Let's hope this continues, and provides both Vostok and Maktime with more resources to reinvest into development, tooling, etc.

Interesting matte bronze finish. I'm not in love with it, but it makes more sense for military applications than the shiny chrome and gold-plated finishes on the Soviet 3AKA3 watches we know and love. I'm also glad to see that there seems to be tooling for new bezels. They have fixed the old bezel for the "Long case" amphibia, replacing the compass markings with numbers that make more sense for a dive watch, and I particularly like the bezel on the far left, which has managed to finally make that Komandirskie case look good! I hope chrome (or stainless?) versions of these bezels trickle down to the civilian Komandirskies and Amphibias.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

By the way, I forgot to mention that these watches can be added to one's armoury in 2011. Makarov said that guys from the military trade net which is a part of the army supply service showed their interest to sell "Armeyskie" in their net.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

There is nothing mentioned in the article about "Vostok" participation in this project (except the fact, that Vostok is the only real watch factory together with Maktime in Russia today). It is clearly visible from the second photo, that the first 3 watches are Vostok and the third is Poljot Aviator / Maktime Aviator. Interesting is that the first two Vostoks are supposed to be in brass cases, while the last one is 060 Amphibia, but still plated. In some of the previous articles about the new "zakaz" (2-3 years ago), people from Vostok mentioned that the new "zakaz" will be steel and mineral/sapphire. I really expected to see the K-34 here.
Anyway, I hope Vostok is in this as well, and the two companies will go more wealthy after the new ГосЗаказ :)

·
Registered
268 Posts

these going to be to be for sale in the civilian market? i hope so i want one of those green chronos and im loving the bronze finish

·
Registered
4,620 Posts

Very interesting! Just used Google Chrome browser to load the page and it easily translated it to English for me.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

There is nothing mentioned in the article about "Vostok" participation in this project (except the fact, that Vostok is the only real watch factory together with Maktime in Russia today). It is clearly visible from the second photo, that the first 3 watches are Vostok and the third is Poljot Aviator / Maktime Aviator. Interesting is that the first two Vostoks are supposed to be in brass cases, while the last one is 060 Amphibia, but still plated. In some of the previous articles about the new "zakaz" (2-3 years ago), people from Vostok mentioned that the new "zakaz" will be steel and mineral/sapphire. I really expected to see the K-34 here.
Anyway, I hope Vostok is in this as well, and the two companies will go more wealthy after the new ГосЗаказ :)
Because the interview is with Makarov, the article is Maktime-centric, but it would seem that Vostok will produce a much larger quantity of watches as part of this deal. I would guess that Maktime is the primary contractor here, with Vostok acting as subcontractor. Vostok and Maktime probably agreed to this arrangement due to the Vostok bankruptcy reorganization, which almost killed this deal a while back. This is all just my own speculation, of course.

Interesting how Maktime has a relationship with Tutima. Things have really come full-circle! The last time Tutima cooperated with 1MWF, they didn't have much of a choice in the matter!

I'm learning to like the bronze finish, even though they make the watches look like the hovercraft from "Star Wars." ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,628 Posts

Good news indeed, for Vostok and Maktime, and the whole Russian horological industry too.

Vostok, of course, was the obvious choice for supplying the non-chrono watches; not only have they got the production capacity to build them in large quantities, but the established classic Komandirskie and Amphibia series are already of MOD specifications anyway, and it would not cost them a huge investment in terms of time and resources to produce these models. All that was required was to develop a new surface finish technique, two new bezels, and the new dial.

In the picture shown by Mister Mike, the three Vostok-built ones are, from left, based on Komandirskie 43x, Komandirskie 92x, and Amphibia 060 (although I feel that a different third digit would have been assigned). The different substrates between the Komandirskie and Amphibia cases could be the cause of the different shades of bronze finish as seen, even though the 92x has a colour closer to the 060. Also I hope the bronze surface finish is really hard-wearing too.

Like what Sci said, I was hoping that the new MOD models to be based on the New Komandirskie series, but then, economics and practicality are forces much more powerful than any wishful thinking. I for one is not at all disappointed! All we have to wait and see, is whether these models will be sold to the general public, that depends on the agreement between the MOD and Maktime, of course. After all, the original MOD models were not meant to be so.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

Those watches have been awaited since long time:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/amnch-new-watch-russian-military-xxi-century-3aka3-mo-227557.html

The pics of the bronze-plated Vostoks already appeared about two or three years ago. The Maktime chronographs, instead, are new to me. They seems based to the first series of Poljot Aviator (still produced by Maktime with slight modifications).

The chronographs were probably intended initially to be totally new and equipped with the Maktime 30644 automatic movement, a project that was put in naftaline for 2 times (the first one in the 1991, when Poljot was still alive, and the second one just after the purchase of the project by Maktime, stopped by the economic crisis). But the old, dear 3133 is fine anyway.

The most interesting ones are the bronze-plated Vostoks - much better candidates for "operational" use. I wonder about the function of that specific coating. Maybe it's more resistant than chrome or titanium-nitride, allowing to use brass to keep the price low? The Komandirskie case would be the most logical choice - cheap, virtually unbreakable, with a good water resistance, not too big (as a real military watch should be).

From a "cosmetical" point of view, i want to be sincere - i don't like them. They definitely lost the classic, sober military style, adopting a "GI-Joe" approach (gigantic cuff straps, decorations, etc). I don't like the double-headed eagle logo as well, it should be more stylized and not so colorful. But i kinda like the Komandirskie - probably it need a bit of time to be appreciated.

Anyway, whatever is the style of the watch, a definitive order by the army is a good thing for sure. |>

BTW, i have avoided to comment the two (plastic? quartz?) green watches on the right, because i don't know what they are.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

Those watches have been awaited since long time:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/amnch-new-watch-russian-military-xxi-century-3aka3-mo-227557.html

The pics of the bronze-plated Vostoks already appeared about two or three years ago. The Maktime chronographs, instead, are new to me. They seems based to the first series of Poljot Aviator (still produced by Maktime with slight modifications).

The chronographs were probably intended initially to be totally new and equipped with the Maktime 30644 automatic movement, a project that was put in naftaline for 2 times (the first one in the 1991, when Poljot was still alive, and the second one just after the purchase of the project by Maktime, stopped by the economic crisis). But the old, dear 3133 is fine anyway.

The most interesting ones are the bronze-plated Vostoks - much better candidates for "operational" use. I wonder about the function of that specific coating. Maybe it's more resistant than chrome or titanium-nitride, allowing to use brass to keep the price low? The Komandirskie case would be the most logical choice - cheap, virtually unbreakable, with a good water resistance, not too big (as a real military watch should be).

From a "cosmetical" point of view, i want to be sincere - i don't like them. They definitely lost the classic, sober military style, adopting a "GI-Joe" approach (gigantic cuff straps, decorations, etc). I don't like the double-headed eagle logo as well, it should be more stylized and not so colorful. But i kinda like the Komandirskie - probably it need a bit of time to be appreciated.

Anyway, whatever is the style of the watch, a definitive order by the army is a good thing for sure. |>

BTW, i have avoided to comment the two (plastic? quartz?) green watches on the right, because i don't know what they are.
I also can`t say that these watches are something. :think:
The problem here is lack of good designers.
I must say that the design can be changed. Makarov said these watches were only prototypes for tests.

Michele, now about your concerns: no plastic, no quartz, only mechanical watches.
Requirements of the Russian Ministry of Defense are very strict.
Quartz watches are a bad choice for a soldier. When on the battlefield with active usage of the means of radioelectronic suppression, they stop working.

The due and overdue 30644 is also mentioned there as "perspective models".

·
Registered
3,069 Posts

The camo basilika case chrono is particularly...uh... interesting.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

From a "cosmetical" point of view, i want to be sincere - i don't like them. They definitely lost the classic, sober military style, adopting a "GI-Joe" approach (gigantic cuff straps, decorations, etc). Anyway, whatever is the style of the watch, a definitive order by the army is a good thing for sure. /QUOTE]

+1 - a really good news for the Russian watch industry and a not so good one for the Russian watch design history. But maybe if the double-headed eagle is stamped on the caseback instead of printed on the dial...

·
Registered
216 Posts

If they remove the eagle and print it on the case back the dial will be perfect - solid black with only numbers and the "Армейские" inscription. I also wonder why don't they make the watches with NATO straps. They don't cost much and i think they would be perfect for the intended use - better than the low quality leather straps i' seeing.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

Considering them being military watches, the dark color of the cases may be good from a (lack of) reflection point of view.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts

If they remove the eagle and print it on the case back the dial will be perfect - solid black with only numbers and the "Армейские" inscription. I also wonder why don't they make the watches with NATO straps. They don't cost much and i think they would be perfect for the intended use - better thank the low quality leather straps i' seeing.
Yeah. Why not a more sober red star?

For the rest, I see three current production Vostoks with a new finish and an old Pojot aviator, nothing special to me.

Back to my Sturmies...

·
Registered
3,069 Posts

Semi-OT:

The chrono on the far right in picture 1 has the aviator chrono case that seems to be used by a number of Volmax watches as well as Maktimes and originally Poljots. Are these NOS poljot cases? Is maktime perhaps producing them and supplying them to volmax? Or is it just a case of multiple companies ending up similar old poljot tooling and making the same thing?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Caro amico cuthbert, red stars were symbols of the Soviet Army, not the Russian one. As a result of the military reform, the Russian Army adopted new "old" symbols, where the main objects are two-headed eagle, Saint George, and the Saint George cross.
Saint George is considered to be the patron of the Russian Army.

Cavallino:
I think this case is a Poljot`s heritage. But if MakTime is producing them for Volmax I don`t know. Perhaps, both the companies are producing them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.