WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For somebody who doesn't dive, I sho' do gots a lotta dahv wah-chizz.

Dive Class 2016.JPG

Although, that Seiko SKX on red & black NATO is currently adorning my son's wrist. Thanks, bud, I'll give it back to ya in a sec!
And year, that TAG Heuer Formula 1 was not technically marketed as a dive watch, but it could be used as one.

Today, though, after spending ages squirreling away the bucks, I snagged this beauty (crappy photo coming up);

PB032932.jpg

You all may be aware of how the 40mm Oris Diver 65 created quite a stir at BaselWorld last year. Oris is a sneaky brand. Just when I think I've seen everything in their line-up, they bring out something cool or clever.
While I did like the black dialled version when it was released, I couldn't quite get past the kooky Lost In Space/Thunderbirds numeral font used on the dial.

PB032936.JPG

However, the more I looked at it, the more it made sense. Especially once I saw pictures of the original model on which this one is based. I'll say this for Oris, when they make a re-edition, they don't mess around. This modern iteration bears a very close resemblance to their dive model of the mid-Sixties.
Still, I wasn't entirely sold on this watch for some reason.
And then, I saw photos of the new black & blue dialed model and that was it. I was sold.
In most lighting, this thing looks like a black dial. Throw it under natural light, however, and it's a different story. And, its 40mm diameter suits my wrist just right.

D65 on the wrist.jpg

Good God, my wrists have gotten thin in recent months! The bracelet design is either borrowed or stolen from classic rivetted Oyster bracelets of Rolex past, and the aluminium bezel insert is also not done much nowadays, but both of these elements appeal to me.
As I say, I liked the black dialed version when it was released, but looking at my collection, it's made up of quite a few black dialed dive watches, so I figured I'd go for something a little different.
The domed sapphire crystal provides some nice distortion of the numerals from various angles. Cool!

And the box has a pleasant vintage vibe going on too;

PB032942.jpg

Like I've often said, they don't all have to be quarterbacks, gang. There are quite a few of the smaller watch houses doing sterling work, and I've always had a soft-spot for Oris, since they tend to come up with some very interesting watches.

Anyway, just thought I'd rave a little about this watch. Gonna have to get a slightly bigger watch box. Maybe thin out a few pieces too.

Thanks for reading, and have a good one!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Go snorkeling. Thats howI justify the dive watches. 10 feet of clear water, chase after Nemo, dive down to checkout some cool sea life. Eat at the seafood place on the beach. Call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading that. I clicked the post title without looking at who the author was, and after a few paragraphs I thought 'wow this guy writes a lot like Teeritz' and lo and behold it was true.

I've never paid the Diver 65 much attention but I'm intrigued now. I noticed a few weeks ago that a local jeweller has one in their window, so I might take a closer look soon. Probably won't end up buying one but I'd like to see it in the metal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Looks fantastic on you - congratulations! Love the color and, I must say, that box is very cool

[Wouldn't worry about being a non-diving, dive-watch wearer; any diver who looks down his/her nose at that is the one with issues! (imo)]

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Hey Tino,
You don't need to do either!
What is the point of life, if you can't indulge in a harmless, if expensive, hobby?
Hell, you'd only 'waste' the money on something else! ;-)
Fantastic looking Oris Diver too. :-!

Reactions: COUPET

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
What is the point of life, if you can't indulge in a harmless, if expensive, hobby?
Hell, you'd only 'waste' the money on something else! ;-)
When I read the above, I immediately thought of the George Best quote: I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
When I read the above, I immediately thought of the George Best quote: I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Me too, I'm anything but original! :-d

Reactions: Ken G

·
Registered
451 Posts
IPCRESS File --- one of my favorite films -- put Michael Caine on the map. Great soundtrack too.

BTW -- nice watch!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Congrats Mr T. That's one sexy Muvva, happy wearing old son. Hope the soundtrack was in earshot and not just the paperback that nobody understood? Your rubber ring and armbands are in the post.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Congratulations!

The 65 is - imho - one of the most interesting divers out there.
Lots of beautiful details, e.g. doomed crystel, style of the really "retro-esque-tapered" bracelet, face, hands ,bezel (not a fan of ceramic-inlays, at all).

Have a good time.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you at least swim? Chillaxing in a large hot tub could work. Do the kids still call it muff diving these days?
I live on an island (called Australia). Of course I can swim. We punch sharks here, too. And I'd never set foot in a hot tub, or "cuddle puddle", as somebody once called them. Friggin' Petri dish of toxic God-knows-what. No thanks.
Oh, gotta run. The kangaroos are at the tomato plants again.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Initially, I was a little put off by the numerals too, but I gotta admit it looks really good in that on-wrist pic. It all seems to work together there. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
11,773 Posts
Were you at least a Boy Scout, Tino? Then you could justify owning dive watches as being prepared in case you ever went diving. ;-)

I remember that Oris when it appeared at Baselworld, especially its size (tiny for most Oris divers). And I really dug the funky numerals. Hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Were you at least a Boy Scout, Tino? Then you could justify owning dive watches as being prepared in case you ever went diving. ;-)

I remember that Oris when it appeared at Baselworld, especially its size (tiny for most Oris divers). And I really dug the funky numerals. Hope you enjoy it!
Italian background, Rob. We don't do Boy Scouting. To an Italian, being prepared means making sure there's coffee and pasta sauce in the house.

My penchant for dive watches probably stems from watching "Live And Let Die" at a young age, which planted the seeds of my obsession for a Submariner. And perhaps on a subconscious level, I've always liked the legibility of dive watches. Again, probably due to that fateful Summer's day in '74 (or '75) when I saw Bond for the first time.

The Oris is great. Nice metallic blue dial that mimics the finish of a Sixties Mustang;

IMG_1307.JPG
(Pic courtesy of https://blog.cjponyparts.com/2013/11/history-of-the-1960s-mustang/)

And later in the day, I had sunglasses on and I took a look at the dial and it looked purple! Cool!

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Can you at least swim? Chillaxing in a large hot tub could work. Do the kids still call it muff diving these days?
Here in the UK the term 'muff diving' has a VERY different meaning!
I'm not going to elaborate, I don't want to get banned! ;-)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts