WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

So I'm not a Breitling owner [YET!...it's coming I promise] but I wanted to drop a note in about The Discovery Channel's new show called "Man vs. Wild" it's essentially about a man named 'Bear' and he gets dropped into different areas [jungles, deserts etc etc] with nothing but a knife and he describes how one can survive with limited supplies in these areas, as well as how to navigate their way out.

Why am I mentioning this here you ask? Well he also wears a Breitling Emergency Mission [yellow dial, with I believe the diver's rubber strap] and you really get to see him put this thing through it's paces. Swimming in swmps, climbing rocks..torrential rains etc etc. It's basically a list of things I would never do in my Breitling unless I had to. :)

It seems to be featured quite a bit, and he used it at least once that I saw on screen...though it is technically not listed as a tool he has for use.

Just something I thought you'd like to see. It's on Discovery's main channel...so you can imagine they play it alot. I know they will be playing it again this coming Friday.

Cheers!
Craig M.
Washington DC

·
Registered
472 Posts
I actually posted a question about this watch yesterday because I'd seen it on the show.

Seems like he abuses that thing quite a bit for a watch that's only rated to 30meters and was meant for pilots, not for extreme survivalists like Bear. Guess that's just a testament to the quality of the brand.

Personally, I'd just wear one of my G's. If I could afford a Breitling I wouldn't be beating it up like Bear does. Maybe one day..........:roll:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Seems like he abuses that thing quite a bit for a watch that's only rated to 30meters and was meant for pilots, not for extreme survivalists like Bear.
Thats the first thing i thought of!! I saw this show in HD, and i could aaaaaalmost see the detail of the dial when i paused our DVR. :-D

If it's a shameless plug, Breitling apparently doesn't care about the irony of it... I'm sure that 99% of the people watchnig that show wouldn't realize this, ofcourse, but it's still funny. You'd think they'd have outfitted him with a superocean, or something... One thought- I think Bear is ex-SAS, or something, and those guys are paratroopers, so that may expalin why he wears Breitling??? I'm stretching now, but that's the best i can come up with!

What an interesting character, and also what a cool idea for a show. I like the Rocky Mtns show, where he finds the rattlesnake, smahes it, then cooks it on his fire made with no matches/lighter. Pretty cool stuff!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Without a doubt it's a cool show and it makes you think about how you'd react if you were in his position.

As far as the watch goes, I agree that there are many more qualified watches than what he's using now. Even from Breitling! Who knows but apparently he can afford to abuse it. I, on the other hand, would have to think twice.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
In a similar vein, anyone know what Ray Mears packs on his wrist? I seem to remember thinking it looks like a small digital but I think I'll Google him and see what I can find! If you had to be stuck in the wild with any one person on the planet, no matter where you are, I reckon Ray's your man!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Here's what I found on Google. Citizen Eco-Drive of some sort by the looks of it. Should have known he'd have an analogue; in case he needs to do that compass thing with the hands which I always forget. Something about pointing the hour hand at the sun or something.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wouldn't be Bear Grylls wearing Bremont watches in the future? Also is "Bear" his real name!?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.