WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone tell what watch Bear Grylls wears? Loved the latest show where he is eating Goats Testicles and sleeping inside a Camel Carcass! This guy is so nuts he squeezes the juice out of the remnants inside a camels stomach just to get a drink! Cool looking watch but can't figure it out. I assume its some sort of British government issue watch?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Who the hell is Bear Grylls? And should I care? lol

paul:-d:-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
236 Posts
Who the hell is Bear Grylls? And should I care? lol

paul:-d:-d:-d:-d
Isn't he the guy who does all the testicle eating, carcass sleeping and bodily fluid drinking for the cameras then ships out to some 5* hotel for proper food and a clean bed ... ?

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
That show is a kick!

I have seen the Breitling on him, but have seen a couple of other watches also, that I could not identify.

·
Registered
153 Posts
He's now being sponsored by Bremont but used to wear the Breitling prior to that. What's interesting is that he sometimes removes the watch before doing an activity. For example, climbing down the waterfall in Panama, he is not wearing the watch. I hadn't noticed that with the Breitling.

Matt

·
Registered
665 Posts
Isn't he the guy who does all the testicle eating, carcass sleeping and bodily fluid drinking for the cameras then ships out to some 5* hotel for proper food and a clean bed ... ?
My thoughts exactly! It sickens me that such a phoney has managed to pose his way into the public eye. Mind you, I would eat a fair number of testicles to be an ambassador for bremont!:-!

·
Registered
103 Posts
He is a bigtime fraud. There were a bunch of reports in some British newspaper which found some information that highlighted numerous fake aspects to his show.

During shows where he's supposed to be out in the wilderness for a number of nights, he and his crew went to sleep in hotels at night. He has also admitted that in a number of instances throughout the episodes his crew helps him out by building things or catching fish or food etc. Also, a number of actual survival experts have chimed in that quite a few things that Bear has done on the show are actually very, very bad ideas that no person with a strong survival background would even consider.

If you're interested in a genuine survival show, watch Survivorman with Les Stroud. He is literally all alone out in the bush and he lugs the 40kg of camera gear with him and films every single shot himself during the week he spends in a various location. It isn't all polished up and professional looking but that adds to the effect.

Man vs. Wild should be taken off the air or have a big warning which says "Viewer Discretion - this show is a complete fiction - Man vs. a day in the woods followed by a night in a warm bed".

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
He is a bigtime fraud. There were a bunch of reports in some British newspaper which found some information that highlighted numerous fake aspects to his show.

During shows where he's supposed to be out in the wilderness for a number of nights, he and his crew went to sleep in hotels at night. He has also admitted that in a number of instances throughout the episodes his crew helps him out by building things or catching fish or food etc. Also, a number of actual survival experts have chimed in that quite a few things that Bear has done on the show are actually very, very bad ideas that no person with a strong survival background would even consider.

If you're interested in a genuine survival show, watch Survivorman with Les Stroud. He is literally all alone out in the bush and he lugs the 40kg of camera gear with him and films every single shot himself during the week he spends in a various location. It isn't all polished up and professional looking but that adds to the effect.

Man vs. Wild should be taken off the air or have a big warning which says "Viewer Discretion - this show is a complete fiction - Man vs. a day in the woods followed by a night in a warm bed".
Very interesting. I have read this about the show, although I have not seen an episode. I did see a program this past weekend where he and another Brit were each attempting to fly up Everest in powered parachute contraptions. The whole thing was quite amateurish, and his attitude somewhat reckless to say the least. And at the end, they claimed he reached the height of the summit (>29,000 feet), even though his altimeter stopped working at about 20,000 feet. Whatever he may or may not have genuinely accomplished, his taste in watches certainly took a dive when he switched from Breitling to Bremont.<|

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Bear is who he is ... his credentials speak for themselves. After you've broken your back in three places at 20 years old while parachuting, then conquer Everest three years later, you can get your own TV programme and show us how it should be done. Hollywood and the BBC have little things they have to worry about .... generally referred to as "lawsuits".

Watch the show .... there is a disclaimer at the beginning ......

Granted, they producers take some liberties, but I challenge any of you nay-sayers to follow him .... without the cameras rolling .... let me know how your bed was ........

I'm more curious as to what happened with Breitling that he no longer wears that brand on the programme .......

Cheers!
Bill

·
Registered
665 Posts
First of all, I will treat your condescending tone with the contempt it deserves. I will however, answer your post for the benefit of anyone who may be tempted to believe what you've written in between the lines of full stops.

He broke his back after jumping out of a plane? Surely all that means is that he's unlucky (or is clumsy). Climbed Everest a few years later? Fair enough well done to him, but surely that makes him a determined mountaineer rather than a survival expert.

You're right. I may well survive less long than him if dumped in the jungle with only a machete and a sewing kit, but that says more about me than him and by no means makes him an expert. I'm sure a bit of time in the armed forces helps you with that sort of thing, but then I could go on a cookery course and brag about making a mean Victoria Sponge, but it wouldn't mean I'm Martha Stewart now would it?

I'm sure everyone here can use google so I won't go into detail on his 'expeditions', but I will share one particularly amusing scene from one of his early shows, which went as follows:

'I need to cross this alligator-infested river.... Luckily, there's this precarious fallen tree overhanging the entire swamp. I can use that.'

*'Bear' climbs said tree, shuffles his way across (but not before dramatically losing his footing and almost falling into said river, to the utmost indifference of the camera crew, who continue filming as normal) and continues on his journey*

Anyway, regarding what happened to his Breitling I would imagine that when negotiations were taking place regarding 'Bear' becoming an ambassador for Bremont, for some unknown reason they made it a condition of his contract that he does not wear a competitor's product on his TV show.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hello Sir

As you didn't sign your name, I'll address you with a respectful title.

I'm sorry that you took umbrage to my post; it represents my thoughts on this matter, and is a reflection of the tone offered in the previous posts. I certainly was not attempting to injure or slight you or anyone else; I was pointing out that anyone who has walked in those shoes can, and does, have a valid opinion; the rest of us just come off sounding like nancies.

If you'd prefer, I can edit my original post to reflect the bashing and bally-ho of the preceding posts. My apologies for having an opinion that differs from the herd ....

Cheers!
Bill

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Google for British Special Air Service (S.A.S.) That is what Bear belonged to. Amazing training.

First of all, I will treat your condescending tone with the contempt it deserves. I will however, answer your post for the benefit of anyone who may be tempted to believe what you've written in between the lines of full stops.

He broke his back after jumping out of a plane? Surely all that means is that he's unlucky (or is clumsy). Climbed Everest a few years later? Fair enough well done to him, but surely that makes him a determined mountaineer rather than a survival expert.

You're right. I may well survive less long than him if dumped in the jungle with only a machete and a sewing kit, but that says more about me than him and by no means makes him an expert. I'm sure a bit of time in the armed forces helps you with that sort of thing, but then I could go on a cookery course and brag about making a mean Victoria Sponge, but it wouldn't mean I'm Martha Stewart now would it?

I'm sure everyone here can use google so I won't go into detail on his 'expeditions', but I will share one particularly amusing scene from one of his early shows, which went as follows:

'I need to cross this alligator-infested river.... Luckily, there's this precarious fallen tree overhanging the entire swamp. I can use that.'

*'Bear' climbs said tree, shuffles his way across (but not before dramatically losing his footing and almost falling into said river, to the utmost indifference of the camera crew, who continue filming as normal) and continues on his journey*

Anyway, regarding what happened to his Breitling I would imagine that when negotiations were taking place regarding 'Bear' becoming an ambassador for Bremont, for some unknown reason they made it a condition of his contract that he does not wear a competitor's product on his TV show.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Say what you want about him, sure he's come "Over The Pond" and is making Big Bucks on a show that is "Questionable" but it sure doesn't take away from him eating Goats Balls, Juice From A Camels Stomach, and other fine delicacies. The damn guy is fascinating to watch, kinda like a train wreck. I did see the one show in the Everglades where he is crossing "alligator filled rivers" and it was pretty ridiculous! Then again if you watch ANYTHING other than Frontline or Nova odds are your watching something far more ridiculous than Bear Grylls!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Google for British Special Air Service (S.A.S.) That is what Bear belonged to. Amazing training.
I wonder what John "Lofty" Wiseman makes of Bear and the show? He was an SAS soldier for 26 years, and was their survival instructor. His book on survival is still the best on the subject, twenty years after it was first published.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I also really like Survivorman, it seems a little more real, as he is filming himself. I am also hooked on Deadliest Catch! The craziest SOB has to be that Andrew Zimmerman on Bizarre foods!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Bill,

Apologies for not signing my name. It's Tom by the way. Pleased to meet you.

I can assure you that noone has a problem with you having your own opinion (although I would suggest that 'the herd' would be a more accurate description of those who watch his TV show goggle-eyed, assume it is not ficticious and deduce that his biting the head off a live tortoise equates to him being a survival expert). I think however that the tone of your post was unnecessarily condescending and aggressive. People may have been discussing 'Bear' in a negative light but I feel that your post escalated the tone to personal levels.

As I mentioned in my previous message, I'm sure he has some degree of experience in these things, but his refering to himself as an expert is rather offensive to those more deserving of the title. Incidentally ScottoLaw, if Wikipedia is to be believed, 'Bear' in fact served in '21 SAS', which is a regiment of the Territorial Army. For those unfamiliar with the Territorial Army, it is an organisation where people with regular 9-5 jobs train on occasional weekends (I think it's about once a month if memory serves) in return for a supplementary income and training opportunities. But indeed, SAS veterans are worthy of the utmost respect for their skill and the sacrifices they make for this country.

So Bill, how about we put the escalation of tone of this thread down to a misunderstanding, and agree to disagree on the extent to which his escapades are ficticious?

Tom

1 - 20 of 42 Posts