WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody!
Just puchased this old wristwatch and I`m trying to discover it`s manufacturer and the year(perioud) it was made. manfredi-militar-1930-137932-c1e191a5.jpg manfredi-militar-1930-137932-d30e9e8b.jpg manfredi-militar-1930-137932-f9319b1d.jpg
The dial is pocelain in a rather good shape, it`s gold plated and on the back it`s engraved MGBM which I found out to be standing for "Manufacture Genevoise des Bottes des Montres" and it usualy was found un pocket watches such as this:
Lauritz.com - Watches - Taschenuhr MGBM GENEVE 763407 - DE, Düsseldorf, Kappeler Straße#
Helas, I couldn`t find out anything about it`s mechanism as per manufacturer and date of fabrication (though I have a hint it`s early 1900).
Any help is wellcome, thx!

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Well I can't help at all - but its a lovely looking watch.|>

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I agree, nice looking watch...Based on the cushion shape, the wire lugs, and the porcelain dial I would guess it to be from the 1910s to the 1920s. I would be surprised if it dated later than 1925. The movement looks familiar but I can't quite put a finger on where I have seen it before...

Again, nice catch - I like it a lot.

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,823 Posts
Based on the cushion shape, the wire lugs, and the porcelain dial I would guess it to be from the 1910s to the 1920s. I would be surprised if it dated later than 1925.
Round case with a cushion front? I would have suggested late Twenties to early Thirties, and I'd have suggested a lower end manufacturer because I think this is a cheaper case construction than a proper cushion.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Round case with a cushion front? I would have suggested late Twenties to early Thirties
I wouldn't disagree with that based on the case alone. I thought earlier based on the porcelain dial, and to some degree the wire-lugs...definitely hard to say with certainty.

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,823 Posts
I would agree it's very hard to say with any certainty. I think in the US cushion cases were used in the date range you suggest, the Swiss were somewhat later. The porcelain dial indicates earlier but and to generalise out from a specific manufacturer, M&ST were using porcelain dials in their wire lugged cushion cases in the period 1927 - 1933 and with the Medana brand were using the same design we see above of round case with an oversized front bezel and wire lugs to make it look like a cushion in the same period.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I have a similar movement wristwatch with a hinged case. The bridge layouts are a bit different though but the balance bridge and the rest is identical, A.Schild 340 I would say.

ww1.JPG

ww2.JPG

And if it is AS 340 it can not be before 1906 anyway, since both brothers were still together ETA and AS, in Schild Freres. Otherwise the movement would have Urs Schild mark ? My guess would be WWI era.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a similar movement wristwatch with a hinged case. The bridge layouts are a bit different though but the balance bridge and the rest is identical, A.Schild 340 I would say.

View attachment 1050228

View attachment 1050231

And if it is AS 340 it can not be before 1906 anyway, since both brothers were still together ETA and AS, in Schild Freres. Otherwise the movement would have Urs Schild mark ? My guess would be WWI era.
The mouvement seeams almost identical with yours, excepting the fact that you have the bridges decorated with" cotes de geneve" while mine has a sort of "sand blasted" gold bridges....but shure looks as an Anton Schild 340.
Could it be a "trech WWI watch" or is it over elaborated for that?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
The mouvement seeams almost identical with yours, excepting the fact that you have the bridges decorated with" cotes de geneve" while mine has a sort of "sand blasted" gold bridges....but shure looks as an Anton Schild 340.
Its Adolph Schild. Anton Schild was his grandfather, whose son Urs Schild found the company with Dr. Girard in 1856 - Dr. Girard & Schild Ebauches.1866 Girard left the company, Urs renamed the company Urs Schild and managed it until his death in 1888. The sons of Urs, Max and Adolph - Schild Freres ( Gebrueder Schild ) couldn't work together and seperated. Max created the Eterna and ETA, Adolph created the A.Schild Ebauches. However they formed ASUAG in 1930 together again.

Just to be at the safe side:)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its Adolph Schild. Anton Schild was his grandfather, whose son Urs Schild found the company with Dr. Girard in 1856 - Dr. Girard & Schild Ebauches.1866 Girard left the company, Urs renamed the company Urs Schild and managed it until his death in 1888. The sons of Urs, Max and Adolph - Schild Freres ( Gebrueder Schild ) couldn't work together and seperated. Max created the Eterna and ETA, Adolph created the A.Schild Ebauches. However they formed ASUAG in 1930 together again.

Just to be at the safe side:)
Thx, never end learning...

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,823 Posts
The bridge layouts are a bit different though but the balance bridge and the rest is identical, A.Schild 340 I would say.
I have to say that I'm not seeing the resemblance at all, and certainly the balance bridges are not identical - screw positions, shape of the bridge ends and clicks are all different. I'm not saying that it's not AS - because they had a vast catalogue of calibres with almost every variation you could imagine, but nothing here is distinctively the same. Of course the only way to be sure would be to see under the dial for the AS stamp and the keyless works which might allow us to narrow it down to the sub group of calibres.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just checked for accuracy: an astonishing + 70-80 sec./day, which makes me believe it was serviced in the recent past

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
This type of 24hr military dial was popular during WW1.
The 24hr dial Omega on the left of the pic has the same style dial and dates to 1915.

I don't know the movement but that style of click and long click spring is seen on many WW1 trench watches
by A.S and others.
I would have thought that your watch was a WW1 trench watch, but the doubts thrown up by others about the case style
being of a later date has me wondering. Cushion cases are generaly later than WW1 right enough, but If they existed
during WW1 then a bit of research should throw up some dateable silver examples.

Nice watch.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This type of 24hr military dial was popular during WW1.
The 24hr dial Omega on the left of the pic has the same style dial and dates to 1915.

I don't know the movement but that style of click and long click spring is seen on many WW1 trench watches
by A.S and others.
I would have thought that your watch was a WW1 trench watch, but the doubts thrown up by others about the case style
being of a later date has me wondering. Cushion cases are generaly later than WW1 right enough, but If they existed
during WW1 then a bit of research should throw up some dateable silver examples.

Nice watch.
Thx for the info, you gave me good vibes about this watch which I really love.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts