WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and bare with me, the first time forum participant.

I am in search of a manual wind GMT.

I have found several great automatics, and even an eco drive, but the wind up seems to elude me. I am not looking for a premium time piece, but something of good quality for sure. The more rugged the better, but I would be interested in anything anyone could find.

I am new to collecting, but have been interested for some time and quite eager to dive in.

Thank you in advance for anyone that can help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you want a manual wind in a travel watch?
I see it as the ultimate back up. Not being all that educated on the matter, I see the manual as a fail safe. If I don't have a winder with me I can be sure to wind it myself. That way, even if it sits for a bit, I can be certain it is ready to use after I give it a spin.

I like the autos too, but something about the ritual of winding appeals to me.

Any reason why it would be a bad idea?

-Thanks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Most autos should hand-wind as well, no?
I see it as the ultimate back up. Not being all that educated on the matter, I see the manual as a fail safe. If I don't have a winder with me I can be sure to wind it myself. That way, even if it sits for a bit, I can be certain it is ready to use after I give it a spin.

-Thanks.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I would never wonder about the desire for a hand-wind watch because they are wonderful. Having said that, I can't remember ever seeing a hand-wind GMT. Most hand-wind watches seem to be simpler with fewer things needing to be set if they wind down. In the "auto age" they have also been used because of small size or cost while the GMT complication usually adds bulk and expense. It probably just doesn't fit the market.I'd like to see one though.

·
Moderator at Large
54,019 Posts
All I found are "premium"

Vulcain Aviator GMT, ref 100.108.028 RF
Jaeger-leCoultre Reverso Grande GMT
Panerai Luminor 1950 Chrono Monopulsante 8 Days GMT

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,476 Posts
Won't handwinding an automatic movement give you the same fail safe as handwinding a handwound watch?

And if fail safe is the criteria just get a Seiko Perpetual Calendar watch with the 8f56 movement. You get a true GMT, 100 year calendar and a 10 year power reserve. And the 12 hour hand is.independently adjustable. That feature is a big help for travellers but is only found on a few expensive automatics.

-Thanks.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I think I would rather take my chances on the power reserve "overnight" than try and keep track of exactly when 1 day is to wind it ... But then I travel really long distances in +12 hr time differentials. I need "day-date" because I can't keep track of what day it is.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I feel much more confident in the power reserve of my automatic to carry through the sleeping times than my ability to keep time/days straight when traveling from North America to Asia with the 12 hr time difference.

But then, I also wear my watch while sleeping so there is some winding that occurs also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts