1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual for e.g. modules 3495, 3459/3461 say:

Signal Receive Functions:

Auto receive, manual receive

Auto transmitter selection (for JJY, MSF/DCF77)

Receivable call signs:
JJY (40 kHz/60 kHz), WWVB (60 kHz), MSF (60 kHz), DCF77 (77.5 kHz), BPC (68.5 kHz)

Automatic and manual switching between standard time and summer time.
This obviously only applies to users who are in range of multiple transmitters.

E.g. I am about 380 km / 237 miles from DCF77 (Mainflingen) and 610 km / 379 miles from MSF (Anthorn) so I should be able to receive both signals.
I guess 'auto transmitter selection' means the watch makes the choice for me, but I'm wondering if I can somehow override the auto selection and force reception via one or the other transmitters?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
NO
I am not as smart as some nerds in here, but as far as I understand, the mb6 is just an antenna programed by a chip-set to pick up that signal
unfortunately both of the transmitters share the same signal-wave
it is like you have two broadcasts sending out signals on the same channel 5 at the same time - your TV can pick up only 1 broadcast on channel 5
"auto transmitter" meaning they are programed to search for signal at the certain times (midnight to 5am, I don't remember)
it doesn't mean that the G get to pickup which signal it likes

YES,
you can try fooling the G by choosing (in setting) a different location, that is closer to the signal you want it to pick up
but this is a hack, not really a programing thing

but then, how can you tell which signal comes from which tower ?
lolz

Reactions: shocking!g

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
The only way to do this is to change the city code but even then how would you know? It would just say received.

Now if you has a watch like the AMG-100 or a GW-9000, it would tell you which transmitter was synced but not your watch

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did some diagnostics:

Enter one of the 'secret' diagnostic modes by pressing B, C and D simultaneously

The screen will blank except for J in upper right corner and 40 below: this is one of the transmitters (JJY 40, Mount Otakadoya). You can cycle through other transmitters by pressing C ->
J 60 =
JJY 60 (Mount Hagane), U 60 = WWVW (Fort Collins), G 77 = DCF77 (Mainflingen), L 60 = MSF (Anthorn), B 01 = BPC (Shangqiu) and D 02 (??? no idea what this is)

(If you press A a 1 will appear next to the frequency number but -in hindsight- it doesn't seem to do anything useful except the screen blanks before actual testing, if the 1 is not on screen it will not blank)

Select one of the transmitters and press B: the test will run for several minutes. Just to be sure I tested J 40 and U 60 (Japan and USA) which should never work for me as I'm >5000 miles away in Europe, this is what happened:

Watch Product Rectangle Clock Font

A NG (Not Gotten?) is displayed as expected

I repeated the test by selecting L 60 and G 77 which should work for me (especially G 77 as it's < 400 km away):

Watch Product Clock Gadget Rectangle

Both watches display OK after a few minutes so I guess I have learned I can at least receive signals from both transmitters :)

But yeah I guess this only works in test mode you still can't force selection of one transmitter AFAIK (there is only a general OFF switch for signal reception and not and OFF switch per transmitter)

This concludes my :geek: contribution for this week :ROFLMAO:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts