WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My watch is running 10 seconds fast per minute, give or take. Any ideas or possible simple fixes?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Sounds like it's Magnetized. If so, you'll need an inexpensive de-magnetizer or, a decent watch tech should have one handy.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like it's Magnetized. If so, you'll need an inexpensive de-magnetizer or, a decent watch tech should have one handy.
I hope you're right. That was my guess too. So I did purchase a cheapy demagnetizer. We'll see if that fixes it. If not, it's probably not worth getting repaired.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes there can be gunk/oil in the hairspring making the coils stick together, which can be an easy fix.
Is that a DIY or how much would a watchmaker charge for that? It's just an old Roda watch. Not wanting to spend a crazy amount on it.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Get it demagnetized first, it's a cheap fix, if that doesn't work, what Dan S said

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Is that a DIY or how much would a watchmaker charge for that? It's just an old Roda watch. Not wanting to spend a crazy amount on it.
I have seen a watchmaker dip a balance in solvent and allow it to dry with the coils separated (e.g. suspended). If you have a regular watchmaker that you patronize often, he would probably charge only a nominal amount. Obviously this is no substitute for a real service, but it could address the "crazy fast" issue

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts
1. Magnetized
2. Oil on the hairspring
3. Incredibly low balance motion(from the watch either being very dirty, or a damaged pivot just damaged enough to allow the watch to still run).
4. Insanely overpower mainspring(does the watch make a "knocking" sound?)

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,881 Posts
I would add: outer coil on the hairspring caught on the balance cock or the arm holding the outer end of the hairspring. Instantly visible if you look hard enough.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
651 Posts
This was a timely and helpful thread! I had bought an M9 Bulova Sea King auto on the bay and when I got it I set it and noticed an hour later it had picked up an extra ten minutes! Yes, it was running 10 minutes fast PER HOUR! I was concerned I would have to take it to the jeweler and pay out the wazoo for a repair or servicing when I read this thread. Using my compass, I was able to determine that is was magnetized and bought one of the cheap degaussers on the internet. It took four tries, but finally it was demagnetized and is running fine and keeping time.

Thanks for your knowledge! Watchuseek is a great resource because of the people on it!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was a timely and helpful thread! I had bought an M9 Bulova Sea King auto on the bay and when I got it I set it and noticed an hour later it had picked up an extra ten minutes! Yes, it was running 10 minutes fast PER HOUR! I was concerned I would have to take it to the jeweler and pay out the wazoo for a repair or servicing when I read this thread. Using my compass, I was able to determine that is was magnetized and bought one of the cheap degaussers on the internet. It took four tries, but finally it was demagnetized and is running fine and keeping time.

Thanks for your knowledge! Watchuseek is a great resource because of the people on it!
You say it took 4 tries? Well, maybe I still have hope. I've run it through twice and while it slowed down a little, it's still running fast. Holding my breath.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes! 4th time with the demagnetizer was the charm! It's 2 seconds fast per 2 hours. I can live with that from a manual wind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts