WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the manufacturer warranty still apply to a watch bought used from a private seller?

For instance, I buy a watch from a private seller, who bought the watch from an AD and the watch is still in the two year warranty phase.

Regards,

Phyllie

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
The majority of manufacturers will not allow warranties to be transfered. there are some who do, and others that have further limitations. You really need to read each individual manufacturer's warranty coverage and figure out what if anything is allowed to transfer from the original owner to the new one. there is absolutely no industry standard that all watch manufacturers are bound by as far as warranty coverage and transferability.

IIRC someone here wrote a nice list of major manufacturers, their warranties coverage periods and their warranty transferability policies. I want to say it was samanator but I could be wrong. Check in the Dive Watch Forum. I think that's where it was posted.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Does the manufacturer warranty still apply to a watch bought used from a private seller?

For instance, I buy a watch from a private seller, who bought the watch from an AD and the watch is still in the two year warranty phase.

Regards,

Phyllie
You did not state your location - but it may seriously depend on that.

E.g. in Europe there is a 2-year mandatory warranty (by E.C. law) that applies to the product, not the owner. Transferable - always.

But if you are US located, then Isthmus' statement below will apply, because as the US do not have such a thing as a mandatory warranty periods, you depend on the goodwill in the warranty terms and conditions of the US distributor.

You really need to read each individual manufacturer's warranty coverage and figure out what if anything is allowed to transfer from the original owner to the new one. there is absolutely no industry standard that all watch manufacturers are bound by as far as warranty coverage and transferability.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
In US, according to the warranty law, non-transferable warranty must be stated such, but some manufacturers does not follow that it seems though.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,914 Posts

Regards,

Phyllie
It's impossible for anyone to give a definitive answer without reading the warranty and asking the manufacturer. You should consult the watch company before buying the watch if this is a concern. I say that because after many years of owning watches I have yet to send a watch back for repair under warrantry.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts

Regards,

Phyllie
Doxa - No (I believe this is recent event - within last couple of years)
Ball - No (Though it is questionable practice considering their warranty statement does not state that it is not transferable. Thus violating the law, but I hear they are pretty adamant about it not transferring)
Rolex - No (that is what I hear)
IWC - Yes ( I know this for sure as I got serviced before)
RGM - Yes (ditto)
Kobold - Yes (ditto)
Limes - Yes (ditto)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I received this email from Hamilton:

Thank you for your email. As long as the warranty card is stamped with
the date of purchase and the two years from that date has not expired
you should be fine.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Hamilton Sales Support

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
OK, stupid question, but how does the manfacturer know that the watch wasn't originally purchased by you? As far as I can remember, the warranty cards I have don't have my name on them. Do the ADs send your information back to the watch companies?

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Some DOES have your information on the cards (Rolex warranty paper has your name address, etc..)

Some insist that you produce original sales receipt along with the cards.

Some companies give incentive to register (like 1 extra year warranty for Ball watch when you register on line).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.