WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TAG Heuer - New mechanism 1887

Tag Heuer is progressing steadily.

Of the 60 patents filed since 1860 by TAG Heuer, 14 have been obtained in the last 4 years and 12 will be recorded throughout 2009. Still, missing the best ... TAG Heuer announces that the next five years will present more than 150 major innovations.

The first one is about to be revealed. This is the new Caliber 1887, the fourth movement Developed exclusively by TAG Heuer concluded after the Caliber 360, Caliber S and Caliber V. This new movement will have its chronograph function is controlled by a column wheel, its components will be manufactured at the premises of TAG Heuer Cornol and then assembled at its headquarters in La Chaux de Fonds.

The completion of the new mechanism, besides the increase of activity in different areas of development of the firm has led to a necessary enlargement of the premises of TAG Heuer headquarters. 3000 square meters of usable space were added to the current 10,000 square meters.

It will probably be presented at Basel 2010...

Regards. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Happy to see the progression of Tag. I believe the price range of Tag will increase with more self developed movements. LVMH must see a bright future of Tag.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you very much Juan.

The 1887 will compare very nicely to other in-house chrono calibers on the market. Can't wait to see it!

:-!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
thanks for the info, i'm glad to see Tag is really getting some more inhouse movements

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
thanks for the info, i'm glad to see Tag is really getting some more inhouse movements
I agree, it lends more credibility to the brand when they use their own movements but the flip side is watch prices will go up.

Everyone knows what happened when Breitling introduced the B01 this year.......they loved the watch but hated the price.

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
I agree, it lends more credibility to the brand when they use their own movements but the flip side is watch prices will go up.

Everyone knows what happened when Breitling introduced the B01 this year.......they loved the watch but hated the price.
In other words, time to pick up a Tag Heuer before they pull an Omega / Rolex and price themselves out of my salary.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Any idea what models will have this new movement?

·
3,250 Posts
this re-climb TAG Heuer is going thru, will also increase older models prices, as well as turn them into sought after pieces.

This is already happening as the brand re-strengths its name. A lot of the used models are slowly becoming more expensive. Not a fast change, but a good one.

·
Registered
895 Posts
According to factory on-line leaflet the dial will be the same as the Valjoux 7750 has (I mean sub-dial layout), with date at 6.
Questions:

1. where is the symmetry when date window is at 6???

2. any idea of a day-date version? Remember: today no in-house movement has a day-date feature! (I mean Rolex, Breitling, IWC, JLC and PP - Nautilus) Could be a nice plus for the customers, at least as an option. Can't wait to see this day-date version in the Aquaracer line - with a new lunette design...

Regards: Robertus

·
Registered
9 Posts
in house caliber or another company's IP?

There are suspicions about the claims of TAG Heuer CEO Mr. Babin. They boast having singlehandedly developed a new integrated chronograph from the ground up within 3 years. That movement also happens to be reliable and fit for mass-production.

Let alone the couple of years it requires to test a new movement, a company needs to be very, very, very good to achieve such a result in such a short time. Remember ETA is sticking to 1970's designs which have been improved over the years, and everybody keeps coming back to them for a reason or another.

A couple of years ago, German watch company Junghans released two "new in-house" calibers, that after close examination proved to be Seiko designs. The company either negotiated a license to use Seiko's IP or puchases blank parts from the Japanese manufacture and finishes them and assembles them in Germany.

No permission to use that pic.

This established the fact that Seiko is open to negotiating the use of its IP by other aspiring movements manufacturers.

Edited by mod:photo of Seiko cal. 6s37a by "DrSeiko.com"

Now in the case of TAG Heuer, the striking similarity of their caliber with the Seiko 6S37 makes it look like Mr. Babin might have gone a far stretch when he claims that the caliber 1887 was all developed in-house within 3 years time. There is nothing wrong with using another company's IP or parts. Fact is, Patek Philippe and Vacheron Constantin have been relying on Lemania (Swatch Group) designs for many years; and according to Swiss watch making regulations, you can claim a movement is Swiss Made as long as 50% of the cost of production is done in Switzerland. But if this new TAG Heuer 1887 proves to be Seiko's 6S37, making it look like it is TAG Heuer's own IP is what you would call "pushing the envelope" of marketing... or just plain wishful thinking.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
A more complicated movement, the V4, was developed in 5 years so doing a regular auto movement in three years isnt out of the realm of possibility considering TAGs resources.

I'm not saying it is or isn't but I am saying it can be done. Frankly, looking at the photos, I don't see a noticeable resemblance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi,

I have seen the pics, from both calibers. The column wheel, the levers, the springs, everything is strictly identical between the 2.

And the HER praised by Babin is just the Seiko Magic Lever system.

Sorry guys, but this is not just guessing. It's serious.

BB

Reactions: harryst

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi again guys,

Just to show you this is no joke...

Tag Column wheel :

Seiko Column wheel :

Official HER pic (from TAG) :

Seiko Magic lever : (seiko invented it decades ago)

This is just a quick post, but I've compared other parts, it's always the same...

BB

Reactions: harryst

·
Registered
18,167 Posts
Interesting... very interesting. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
i doubt a brand like TagHeuer could copy a Seiko movt, lets see how does this goes.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi,

Of course Tag did not copy, they probably bought the right to produce it from Seiko, exactely the same as Jughans (they also pretended it was their movement, before admitting it's the seiko cal.).

Of course, Tag will say no, but just the pics from their press corner are clear enough to declare it IS the seiko. Only the shape of the bridges has changed.

The original Seiko is wonderful movement, much better than equivalent ETAs. It will be nice to see it in a Tag Heuer. The only problem, is all that ******** talk, saying it's totally conceived and produced by Tag Heuer... And the "HER" hype... Not really serious.

BB

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
If TAG Heuer has bought the right to produce this movement Seiko, I think is not bad. But if this is true, and yet declare that the movement is developed entirely by them, could create confusion. The movement is very strong, since it is based Seiko. With the amendments of TAG Heuer will be a movement highly reliable, high quality insurance.

Regards.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
the Seiko 6S37 movement is 40 jewels and the tag 1887 is 39 jewel movement,the 1887 has 320 working parts and the Seiko 6s37 has 290 parts, other items are different also, in a watch case you can only have so many gears, wheels and springs before you run out of space, a watch keeps time so it is common for movements to look similar, but be different.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts