WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
12,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Bruce. Thank you so much for your overly kind compliment...

and just so you'll know, I always enjoy reading the excellent information available here on the HEQ forum. It is by far one of the best forums on the web, period. Thank you for all the hard work and time you invest here. :thanks

I would like to extend my very best wishes to you and your family for a safe and enjoyable holiday season. :-!
Cheers,
Ron

Some Christmas color for you... b-)

Wifey's "SuperQuartz" Cockpit Lady...

And one of my ratty old "mechanical" pieces... ;-)

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Re: Hi, Bruce. Thank you so much for your overly kind compliment...

Amazing photos! How do you light them?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Re: Hi, Bruce. Thank you so much for your overly kind compliment...

and just so you'll know, I always enjoy reading the excellent information available here on the HEQ forum. It is by far one of the best forums on the web, period. Thank you for all the hard work and time you invest here. :thanks

I would like to extend my very best wishes to you and your family for a safe and enjoyable holiday season. :-!
Cheers,
Ron
Thank you, Ron! Hard work of all the regulars is what makes this place hum.

Have an excellent holiday as well. :-!

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
12,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, Eeeb. Thank you! This may come as a surprise to you...

Amazing photos! How do you light them?
in terms of lighting for those shots. I do have a light box with the correct lamps and tables for taking detail shots or perhaps item shots for Ebay but my preferred setup is much simpler than that. I use the original shipping box which came with my Eilux triple winder. The top is of course open and one side is "hinged" at the bottom which allows that side to open and lay flat. It is almost exactly the size of a standard 8 & 1/2 x 11 inch sheet of paper and about 9 inches deep. I tape white paper on the insides for more light reflection and I "pose" the shot sometimes using cloth material such as a golf shirt for the background; sometimes black paper backgrounds; sometimes a "bed" of candy or rocks or corks or kitchen utensils or "knick-knacks" or just about anything. The subject is sitting in the bottom of the box with the side open and the tri-pod mounted camera pointing into the box at the subject. The camera is a Canon Digital Rebel XT with the standard 18-55mm "kit" lense. The light is coming from behind the camera and it is natural sunlight through an open sliding glass door to the patio. I set the camera on no flash automatic mode, adjust the focal length for the frame and use auto focus, 10 second delay automatic shutter release. I hold a white cloth baby diaper up behind the camera shadowing the subject which diffuses the natural light from behind me just perfectly. The shading you see in the back of many of the shots (like the first one in this thread) is actually only the "folds" of the posing material which are out of focus because of the depth of field. I then use Picasa2 and Irfanview (both freeware) to size and edit the photos for posting. I have Photoshop 7 but havn't bothered to spend any time learning how to use it yet. With a bit of practice, I've developed a "routine" which allows me to take quite a few shots very quickly, pull the memory card out of the camera and download the shots for editing. Often I can have a complete shot ready to post on a thread in less than half an hour if I plan the shot out well. Anyway, very amateurish trial and error has fortunately resulted in some very nice shots I've been told. Take a look at my pics slideshow and form your own opinion. Hope this helps... ;-):think::)
Cheers,
Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts