WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think that's the idea. I spoke to Ted Su who supplies us with our straps and he said they are nothing to do with him so I think they are composites that have obviously been designed to look as close to ours as possible. It's flattering, I guess. They are NOT the same straps, though, and should not be confused with ours. The DIVESTRAPS kevlars cost price is a heck of a lot more than the Maratacs retail for. In fact, just the buckle on one of my straps costs me the same as that strap retails for.
I can't wait for the direct comparison reviews to come out. And I really appreciate that the new Maratac composite straps clearly state that they contain no Kevlar. Honestly is a beautiful thing!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Are the Divestraps ted(mc)su/Ted kevlar straps really kevlar? I think I have read before that they were not.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Mine came today. I'll probably have photos up tomorrow. I have to post all my for sale straps first.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
A quick review and comparison

Mine came today. I'll probably have photos up tomorrow. I have to post all my for sale straps first.
Mine came today also and since I got nothing better to do here goes:

I ordered my all black Maratac Elite from Bob at Broadarrow (http://www.broadarrow.net/maratac.htm) late Sunday nite. It arrived today (USPS Priority mail). That's 2 day delivery if one assumes it went out Monday A.M. I've bought MANY straps from Bob and they always come in 3 business days or less.

I bought this strap because I wanted to try a "Kevlar style" strap on a couple of watches with 22mm lugs and didn't want to pay $130 to find out I didn't like them on those watches. I have one of Duncan's Kevlar straps (http://www.divestraps.com/home) in 24mm with orange stitch and I love it. It will be shown in some comparison shots. I do want to say up front that both of these straps are worth the asking price and I will be buying more of each in the future.

This first shot shows the buckle ends of both straps (Maratac in black and DiveStraps in orange stitch).

Both come with fixed and floating keepers and spring bars (at least I'm pretty sure the Divestraps had spring bars:think:). I cut the fixed keeper off the Maratac because I wanted to use only a floating keeper. The composite material cut cleanly and easily with an Exacto. The buckle on the Maratac is a spring bar style and polished and is your only option. It is quite serviceable but nothing fancy. The DiveStraps buckle (you get your choice) I chose is a brushed, screw in type of decidedly thicker gauge and higher quality.

The lug ends:

The notches on Maratac are well done though a tight fit at first. After working the strap back and forth a few times it loosened up nicely. The DiveStraps is a straight 24/24mm.

A close up:

The grain patterns are virtually identical. The Maratac is ever so slightly smoother in texture whereas the Divestraps has more "grip" to it. I can tell the difference blind folded but just barely. Both are perfectly fine.

Strap thickness:

Both straps are ~4mm at the lugs tapering quickly to ~2mm. Although the DiveStraps appears slightly thicker it is also slightly stiffer.

Some wrist shots of the Maratac Elite on my Bathys:

Without flash:

I am hoping to find a 24mm PVD tang (thumbnail) style buckle for this. The Bathys OEM buckle is 20mm.

Finally here's my Bathys on the Maratac and the same pose on a deBeer's strap that I usually wore until now. The sun was shining nicely in the second shot but not so much in the first.

Didn't really need the deBeer's shot. i just like sunlit shots of the great MOP dial on Bathys watches.

As I said earlier both straps are very nice and well worth the money for what you get. As a plus, whichever way you go (or get both like me) Bob and Duncan are both great guys to deal with. You can't go wrong. b-)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Re: A quick review and comparison

great photos and comparison!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

Cool, thanks for the review. I ordered my strap and I am thinking of upgrading the buckle.

·
Registered
933 Posts
unfortunately broadbarrow doesn;t ship to canada anybody else another retailer?

cory

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

guido

+1 on all observations.... got mine today as well.... very unique strap and WELL worth the $20.

one note: I have a 7" wrist and the strap is a bit long.... but small wristed guys get used to this ...

·
Registered
160 Posts
unfortunately broadbarrow doesn;t ship to canada anybody else another retailer?

cory
Hi, I used to ship to Canada all the time until USPS raised their Priority rates from $5 US to over $20 US for International. But if all you want is a strap or two and yo udon't mind taking a chance with simple Airmail, let's do it. I have to go out of town tomorrow, but next week, I'll open it up for Canadian and other international orders for these straps if you want.

Bob

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hi, I used to ship to Canada all the time until USPS raised their Priority rates from $5 US to over $20 US for International. But if all you want is a strap or two and yo udon't mind taking a chance with simple Airmail, let's do it. I have to go out of town tomorrow, but next week, I'll open it up for Canadian and other international orders for these straps if you want.

Bob
i know your pain it cost me 14 bucks to ship to vancouver 3 watch links this week express post. i have shipped all my srtaps to the U.S regular air mail so far all have landed fine, but your problem with lost straps unfortunately might be due to unsavory buyers, which ruins it for the rest of us.

I you open up next week i will grab 1 or two for sure.

cory

·
Registered
160 Posts
i know your pain it cost me 14 bucks to ship to vancouver 3 watch links this week express post. i have shipped all my srtaps to the U.S regular air mail so far all have landed fine, but your problem with lost straps unfortunately might be due to unsavory buyers, which ruins it for the rest of us.

I you open up next week i will grab 1 or two for sure.

cory
Yes, that could very well be..... there is no way for me to know for sure with Airmail because there is no insurance or tracking. To add insurance and tracking, the rates are very high. But I'm willing to give it a go...

Bob

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
fellas..... I'm not working for BOB, but you can't go wrong with the Zulus either. I also picked up one of the single watch cases he shows on his site. Should come in handy when on the road.

for about $40 I looked like a kid on Christmas morning when I hit the mailbox today...

:-!

·
Registered
933 Posts
ya i had a 4 ring zulu in my order as well i am fairly knew to straps and trying most of them out , leather/rubber, rubber with deployment , metal, mesh etc.. till i find the right one.

i know only 1 canadian site selling maratac zulu/nato, military watches/ straps /japan market seikos. but they don't carry these new straps yet.

cory

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

guido

+1 on all observations.... got mine today as well.... very unique strap and WELL worth the $20.

one note: I have a 7" wrist and the strap is a bit long.... but small wristed guys get used to this ...
I have an 8" wrist and the strap is a bit short... but ham fisted guys get used to this... :-d

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
The Broadarrow Maratac (which I believe is the same as Howard's strap) has a slight rubbery feel to it, and has a very comfortable texture and fit on the wrist. The Ted strap is bit more rigid, though the thickness is quite similar. You can also punch holes in the Maratac with your leather punch. I really like everything about it, for the money an excellent strap. Without a doubt I'll be purchasing more of these.

·
G-Shock Mod
14,362 Posts

guido

is the tail too long or the holes are for larger wrist

i like the strap but i am afraid it might not fit my skinny 6.5" wrist

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
My wrist is less than 6.5" so I added a couple of holes with a punch. They don't match the rectangular holes already there, but no one can see.
Anyone have a line on a good quality punch?

·
Registered
20 Posts

Excellent post , nice to see real world pictures and comparo like this.

21 - 40 of 211 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.