WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Full documentation could be found online for this model, but here is my personal opinions:

This MIL-W-46374F manufactured in June 2000, so the luminescent-vials still emitting pretty bright. Lightweight, high-beat mechanical movement for more accuracy. Hack feature for timming-synchronization (second hand will be stopped when the crown is pulled):

Dial is black color, non-reflective with some white printed letters: "MARATHON - US GORVENMENT - 17 JEWELS" and "SWISS MADE" at very bottom six o'clock:

Two scary symbols: a little fan and letters H3 represented for Tritium. (H3 is isotope of H2 Hydrogen). This type of radioactivity is harmless to human body due to extreme small amount radiating:

Tritium is stored inside a tiny vials are placed at hour-marker and hour-minute-hands. This is self-luminescent-system. No need to charge by neon light or daylight. It is still emitting a fix brightness in the dark. The tritium of some commercial watches after charged is extremely shined, but the brightness will be reduced dramatically by time.

Luminox "Navy SEAL" watches are distributed to commercial realm using the same luminescent-technique. Luminox-watches usually Quartz Ronda Swiss Made movement with 5 Jewels. It is hard to find Luminox in mechanical movement 17 Jewels like this Marathon:

The case and the band of this Marathon watch are ugly and nothing to describe except they are extremely strong, non-reflective (I think non-reflective is an important factor for a military watch. A soldier could be shot on sight if his or her watch sparking to enemy). I like it because it simple and fits military daily basic. The back case has some letters and numbers.

Very classic and very contemporary in any case of use:

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
They are nice watches, and even after ten years the vials are easily read in the middle of the night. And, even the non-hacking versions have 17 jewel movements. By the late 1990s very few companies make mechanical low-jewel movements, that end of the market is dominated by the cheap quartz watch.

By the way, H is hydrogen, H2 is deuterium, a hydrogen atom with one extra neutron. H3, or tritium has two extra netrons, ordinary hydrogen, none.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are nice watches, and even after ten years the vials are easily read in the middle of the night. And, even the non-hacking versions have 17 jewel movements. By the late 1990s very few companies make mechanical low-jewel movements, that end of the market is dominated by the cheap quartz watch.

By the way, H is hydrogen, H2 is deuterium, a hydrogen atom with one extra neutron. H3, or tritium has two extra netrons, ordinary hydrogen, none.
Thank you lysanderxiii for the correction of H, H2 and H3. I did not know that. Interesting info to learn today.

I like Quartz watch because of accuracy, but I did not like the step-motor interval in 1 second (it goes chunk by chunk!). If they could change to 1/20 second interval then it is perfect.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Thanks for the detailed analysis.

However, I think your watch was produced in 2003 on the basis of the 2000 contract - note the new font of the 13-14 numerals. The 2000 production watches had a fatter font for the smaller numerals. :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the detailed analysis.

However, I think your watch was produced in 2003 on the basis of the 2000 contract - note the new font of the 13-14 numerals. The 2000 production watches had a fatter font for the smaller numerals. :)

Thanks Crusader for your comments +

If you can post 2003 dial pix on, it would be appreciated!

I also draw this 2000 dial using autoCAD 2007, and will post it later.

I like arabian numeral numbers. (I have heard from a Middle East student said that actually arabian numeral numbers as a matter of fact is derived from India originally). I still making a study on that!

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
If you can post 2003 dial pix on, it would be appreciated!

I also draw this 2000 dial using autoCAD 2007, and will post it later.

I like arabian numeral numbers. (I have heard from a Middle East student said that actually arabian numeral numbers as a matter of fact is derived from India originally). I still making a study on that!
Indeed, our "Arabic" numerals are Indian in origin, and Arabic numerals are only remotely related to our own. :)

Your watch already has the 2003 small fonts ... here is a picture of the old font that would have been used on the 2000 contract of the F-Type 1 or its corresponding G-Type (as the watches were identical, the ones with the F-caseback were procured under the G-contract, AFAIU).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indeed, our "Arabic" numerals are Indian in origin, and Arabic numerals are only remotely related to our own. :)

Your watch already has the 2003 small fonts ... here is a picture of the old font that would have been used on the 2000 contract of the F-Type 1 or its corresponding G-Type (as the watches were identical, the ones with the F-caseback were procured under the G-contract, AFAIU).
Thanks for the follow up, that very strong and nice watch! I did not see any different between 00 and 03 version.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts