WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, for some reason my Marathon JSAR bracelet gets loose when i clap my hands hard or i high five someone. One of the pins just pops out.

The bracelet fits comfortable and is not tight to my wrist but not super loose. The company where i ordered were nice enough to send me a brand new pin set, but the problem still persits... worried I'm going to loose the watch or drop it on a hard surface and put a big ding it.

Has anyone had the same problem and solved the issue??? If so please i need help.

Thanx in advance. :-!
Wired

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Hey guys, for some reason my Marathon JSAR bracelet gets loose when i clap my hands hard or i high five someone. One of the pins just pops out.

The bracelet fits comfortable and is not tight to my wrist but not super loose. The company where i ordered were nice enough to send me a brand new pin set, but the problem still persits... worried I'm going to loose the watch or drop it on a hard surface and put a big ding it.

Has anyone had the same problem and solved the issue??? If so please i need help.

Thanx in advance. :-!
Wired
I've had this happen with a few watches over the years, and it's always been a problem with the bracelet links, not the pins. For whatever reason, the hole for the pin is slightly larger than it should be. The best way I've found to fix the problem is to put a slight bend in the pins that keep falling out. Start by just barely bending it in the middle & keep trying it until it takes a good amount of force to remove it. I've never lost a loose pin after using this method.

·
Premium Member
7,613 Posts
I've had this happen with a few watches over the years, and it's always been a problem with the bracelet links, not the pins. For whatever reason, the hole for the pin is slightly larger than it should be. The best way I've found to fix the problem is to put a slight bend in the pins that keep falling out. Start by just barely bending it in the middle & keep trying it until it takes a good amount of force to remove it. I've never lost a loose pin after using this method.
I beleive the OP means "springbars" when he says "pins" because the JSAR bracelet links are held together with screws, not pins.

In view of this, bending the springbars, as you suggest, is probably not a good idea.

My guess is that the OP is not using OEM Marathon springbars.

The Marathon springbars are a straight center piece just a little less than 22mm with straight pins sticking out of both ends - no little "flange" areas where one would normally use a springbar tool.

Here's a link to a pic of what the springbars should look like: http://countycomm.com/springbar.htm

If the OP's springbars do not look like the OEM springbars, I suggest that is the cause of his problem.

If the OP examines the springbars in use and can confirm whether they are correct, we can continue with diagnosing this problem. :-!

HTH

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I beleive the OP means "springbars" when he says "pins" because the JSAR bracelet links are held together with screws, not pins.

In view of this, bending the spring bars, as you suggest, is probably not a good idea.

My guess is that the OP is not using OEM Marathon spring bars.

The Marathon spring bars are a straight center piece just a little less than 22mm with straight pins sticking out of both ends - no little "flange" areas where one would normally use a spring bar tool.

Here's a link to a pic of what the spring bars should look like: http://countycomm.com/springbar.htm

If the OP's spring bars do not look like the OEM spring bars, I suggest that is the cause of his problem.

If the OP examines the spring bars in use and can confirm whether they are correct, we can continue with diagnosing this problem. :-!

HTH

Yes... they are the spring bars. Sorry for writing pins in my thread. My mistake.

I'm going to order a set of these OEM spring bars from the company you mentioned above to see if they are a better fit than the ones they sent me from the source where i bought my JSAR. I could not find them selling spring bars on their site so that leads me to believe they could be a little different.

They do look like the ones you posted but maybe they are not from Marathon. It's worth the $4 to get a set just in case.

Thanx for all the help guys... truly appreciated. :-!
Wired

·
Registered
586 Posts
I remember installing the metal bracelet on my JSAR how tight the bracelet fit into the lugs and how very hard it was to align the springbar pins into the holes in the lugs. The bracelet felt like it was attached to the watch only to come loose later. There is little to no play in the link that fits into the lugs, so it is hard to feel the springbar popping into the holes in the lugs.

The springbar pin holes are drilled through the lugs. Finally I kept trying to fit the springbars until I could positively feel the springbars through the drilled lugs. I used a small straightened paper clip to feel for the springbars. After that no problems at all.

Hopefully you can solve your problem with a little testing when you reattach the bracelet.:)

The springbar that comes with the watch is fat and appears to be quite sturdy. I stuck with the OEM springbar.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember installing the metal bracelet on my JSAR how tight the bracelet fit into the lugs and how very hard it was to align the springbar pins into the holes in the lugs. The bracelet felt like it was attached to the watch only to come loose later. There is little to no play in the link that fits into the lugs, so it is hard to feel the springbar popping into the holes in the lugs.

The springbar pin holes are drilled through the lugs. Finally I kept trying to fit the springbars until I could positively feel the springbars through the drilled lugs. I used a small straightened paper clip to feel for the springbars. After that no problems at all.

Hopefully you can solve your problem with a little testing when you reattach the bracelet.:)

The spring bar that comes with the watch is fat and appears to be quite sturdy. I stuck with the OEM spring bar.

Yes, i made 100% sure that the spring bars were properly seated in the holes and yes the bracelet fits snug up to the lugs for sure... nice tight fit.

I have reinstalled the spring bars over 5 to 6 times and every time spring bars were seated into the holes and then i just go and clap my hands over my bed and the bottom spring bar always pops out and the watch drops off the wrist. Happens every single time.

So the only other thing i have not tried is to get spring bars from another company to see if they are a bit different and hopefully this might solve the problem. I'll keep every posted once i get this this week. I ordered them Monday morning.

Thanx for your tips. :-!

·
Premium Member
7,613 Posts
Please make sure you are using the JSAR/CSAR springbars (22mm) and not the SAR/TSAR/GSAR springbars (20mm).

:-!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Please make sure you are using the JSAR/CSAR springbars (22mm) and not the SAR/TSAR/GSAR springbars (20mm).

Probably a good thing to check. The SAR is such a tight fit with the bracelet, it's probably the last watch I would expect the springbar to pop out on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, so i got my new OEM spring bars from County Com so i took the old ones off and made sure i placed the news ones in very carefully....

1 - Made sure and checked that the springs bars were indeed the 22mm,
they are (Are same size as old ones but the ends of the bars look a tiny bit more solid and tighter to the spring tips)

2 - Made 100% sure the springs are seated into the lug holes correctly.

So now it was time for the test. Went to the bedroom stood over the bed and clapped hard and POP!! the bottom spring bar just came out again :oops:

OK so now what??? Is the bracelet just a tad to loose on my wrist and thats why it comes off at the bottom? I think my next step will be to go to a watch repair place to see if they can figure something out for me.

I did notice on my wifes TSAR you can see the spring bar tips when you look into the lug holes. On my JSAR you don't see the tips of the spring bars. What i do is put a paper clip into the holes so i can touch the tips half way. I'm thinking i need longer spring bar tips so they almost come out of the lugs holes so they look like the TSAR. Longer springs would hold much better i would think.

OK so the saga continues, ill fill you guys in on what happens next. Man, I really want to wear this watch without worrying that its going to pop off my wrist.

·
Premium Member
7,613 Posts
OK, so i got my new OEM spring bars from County Com so i took the old ones off and made sure i placed the news ones in very carefully....

1 - Made sure and checked that the springs bars were indeed the 22mm,
they are (Are same size as old ones but the ends of the bars look a tiny bit more solid and tighter to the spring tips)

2 - Made 100% sure the springs are seated into the lug holes correctly.

So now it was time for the test. Went to the bedroom stood over the bed and clapped hard and POP!! the bottom spring bar just came out again :oops:

OK so now what??? Is the bracelet just a tad to loose on my wrist and thats why it comes off at the bottom? I think my next step will be to go to a watch repair place to see if they can figure something out for me.

I did notice on my wifes TSAR you can see the spring bar tips when you look into the lug holes. On my JSAR you don't see the tips of the spring bars. What i do is put a paper clip into the holes so i can touch the tips half way. I'm thinking i need longer spring bar tips so they almost come out of the lugs holes so they look like the TSAR. Longer springs would hold much better i would think.

OK so the saga continues, ill fill you guys in on what happens next. Man, I really want to wear this watch without worrying that its going to pop off my wrist.
Just to make sure we are on the same page ...

The 22mm spring bars actually measure 27mm tip to tip, right?

Edit to add:

Just to be perfectly clear, this is what a correct 22mm springbar looks like on and off your watch:

Frankly, I cannot imagine it just popping out :think:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to make sure we are on the same page ...

The 22mm spring bars actually measure 27mm tip to tip, right?

Edit to add:

Just to be perfectly clear, this is what a correct 22mm springbar looks like on and off your watch:

Frankly, I cannot imagine it just popping out :think:
Thanks for the photo, they are great. Yep seems just like how i have mine. Same pin size same set up.

Well you have to remember it only happens when i clap my hands hard or if i high-five someone with a solid high-five. One solid hard clap and POP the bottom pin just pops out.

Very, very unnerving to wear a watch that might just fly off your wrist onto the pavement or into the lake or ocean.
I just don't understand it might be that the bracelet is a tiny bit loose on my wrist so when i make a sudden hard gesture the pin tips might have some play in them and get loose??

I'll take a pic of what i have here so you see it's exactly whats in your photo.

·
Premium Member
7,613 Posts
My only other thought is that the bracelet endlink that always pops off is somehow not a good fit to the watch case and is not allowing the pin on the springbar to fully engage the hole in the watch lug.

You should be able to see the tip of the springbar through the hole in the watch lug when it is properly mounted.

Is it always the same endlink (12 o'clock or 6 o'clock) that pops off?

The mystery deepens ... ;-)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My only other thought is that the bracelet endlink that always pops off is somehow not a good fit to the watch case and is not allowing the pin on the springbar to fully engage the hole in the watch lug.

You should be able to see the tip of the springbar through the hole in the watch lug when it is properly mounted.

Is it always the same endlink (12 o'clock or 6 o'clock) that pops off?

The mystery deepens ... ;-)

It's the 6 o'clock one that always pops out. Twelve o'clock NEVER pops off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a pic of the pins they are indeed 27mm.

Also when i put the spring bars in you don't see the tips of the pins... on the TSAR you can clearly see the tips of the pins almost coming out of the lug holes.

But on the JSAR the pins reach half way... i do feel them with a paper clip or my pin tool bar.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,613 Posts
It's the 6 o'clock one that always pops out. Twelve o'clock NEVER pops off.
I would suggest then that the springbar at 6 o'clock is not fully engaging the holes in the lug of the watch.

If you shine a bright light into the lug holes at 6 o'clock with the bracelet mounted can you clearly see the tips of the springbar?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would suggest then that the springbar at 6 o'clock is not fully engaging the holes in the lug of the watch.

If you shine a bright light into the lug holes at 6 o'clock with the bracelet mounted can you clearly see the tips of the springbar?
Ok, so first off... i have to thank you for all your help. Also to everyone that had good tips.

So i can clearly see the pins half way in with the flash light. I know for sure they are seated properly.

So lets recap...

1 - Tried 2 sets of NEW OEM JSAR/CSAR spring bars.
2 - Pins are properly seated into lug holes.
3 - So now what?? Think I'm just gonna go to my Jeweler cause I'm not sure what else i could do here.

Any other suggestions are much appreciated. :-!

·
Premium Member
7,613 Posts
Also when i put the spring bars in you don't see the tips of the pins...
You should be able to see the tips of the pins clearly, like this:

If you can't, then they are not properly seated.

HTH

·
Premium Member
7,613 Posts
Sorry about the cross-posts.

Anyway, I'm done.

Let us know what the jeweller says.

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
The only other thing that I can think of is some damage to the springbar hole on inside of the lug. Do the holes look larger on the lug that always comes loose? Do they have a sharp edge or are they rounded off? I've had some vintage divers with springbar holes that were enlarged from many years of wear and/or incorrect springbar usage. It was very easy to pop the bars out. But I don't recall seeing this on a newer watch.

Ok, so first off... i have to thank you for all your help. Also to everyone that had good tips.

So i can clearly see the pins half way in with the flash light. I know for sure they are seated properly.

So lets recap...

1 - Tried 2 sets of NEW OEM JSAR/CSAR spring bars.
2 - Pins are properly seated into lug holes.
3 - So now what?? Think I'm just gonna go to my Jeweler cause I'm not sure what else i could do here.

Any other suggestions are much appreciated. :-!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only other thing that I can think of is some damage to the springbar hole on inside of the lug. Do the holes look larger on the lug that always comes loose? Do they have a sharp edge or are they rounded off? I've had some vintage divers with springbar holes that were enlarged from many years of wear and/or incorrect springbar usage. It was very easy to pop the bars out. But I don't recall seeing this on a newer watch.

The holes on the JSAR all look pretty even. I had thought that in the beginning that the 6 o'clock holes were larger and that is why the pins would have some play to be able to pop loose.

What i might do is to tell the Jeweler just to weld the pins to the lugs on the underside. If there is NO other alternative out there. I'll get this figured out one way or the other by next Friday. So I'll be sure to keep you guys posted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts