WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
just sitting here thinking that which watch will take more beating/punishment

now i know that these watches are totally different.
SAR=tool
Omega=dress diver.
but there are certain merits that these watches are similar.
same movement (omega's is COSC)
saphire crystal
300m depth rating.
and I havent forgotten the Omega does cost considerably a lot more..but can a $600 watch really outlive $1600 watch per say?

interested to know your opinions.
images stolen:-S off google search.

Attachments

·
G-Shock Mod
14,201 Posts
i would say in most cases, the Omega SMP will outlive the SAR

the reason is simple, you KNOW you are wearing a $1600 watch and you WILL treat it accordingly (and wouldn't treat it like the $600 SAR, much less a $60 G-Shock) ;-)

SMP does have a much lower profile and it wouldn't get knocked around as much as the very tall SAR

if you *dare* to beat them up the same way, i would imagine they would come up to approx. the same

at the end of the day, the question [to me] would be how much cash you want to have in your pocket and do you need it to be dressy as well

·
Registered
493 Posts
I see from your sig that you already have a G-SAR, so you are well aware of the solid build quality and "heft" of the Marathon.
What I haven't seen mentioned in discussions about the various SAR models, is the way the beautifull brushed finish on both the watch and bracelet can be restored in a moment with the judicious use of a ScotchBrite pad when the watch being used as intended leaves its inevitable marks :-!
Bottom line to me is that I will wear my SAR for any activity, not just diving. Would you wear your Omega or Rolex to run a cement mixer and lay a path?

Reactions: TheGanzman

·
Registered
493 Posts
hi guys,
just sitting here thinking that which watch will take more beating/punishment

now i know that these watches are totally different.
SAR=tool
Omega=dress diver.
The SAR can look pretty smart too. (as long as you don't want "bling")

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
hehe.nice picture mate. I think I will have to pull the plug on the new SARs 2006 run.
If you can still get your hands on a D-SAR, go for it...save a hundred bucks and get what will probably be a rarer model....just got mine BNIB and running +2.5 per day! Lume is awesome, as well:-! :-!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey, I know this picture! ;-)
THATS where I found the pic!

Sorry could not find it when I searched again prior to posting but was exactly the look I wanted to show.

So - Image courtesy of Pascal - :thanks

·
6,880 Posts
If you can still get your hands on a D-SAR, go for it...save a hundred bucks and get what will probably be a rarer model....just got mine BNIB and running +2.5 per day! Lume is awesome, as well:-! :-!
That's what I would do if you want the SAR. My SAR-D should be here tomorrow or saturday. The only difference from that and the regular sar is that it has the H3 markings for tritium on the dial when it actually has superluminova.
I have the Omega Seamaster as well and it my favorite watch that I have ever owned but....with that being said I would'nt wear it in the ocean. Thats what the SAR and the OM are for!

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
I own both and the sar is a much better watch. the omega looks great, but scratches very easy, especially the bezel. my sar is also more accurate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own (and love) the Marathon SAR. The case probably is more robust than that of the Seamaster, but the Omega's implementation of the movement (both use ETA's 2824) is likely far superior, and likely to last far longer. For example, the Marathon's movement uses ETA's in-house Etachoc shock protection for the jewels, while the Omega uses the highly regarded Incabloc system. And this, one suspects, is only the tip of the iceberg.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I do not really think it is a fair comparison but in my opinion they are both excellent watches.

I think a regular SAR with bracelet will cost you around $1000 or so depending on delivery and tax and where you live.

I was able to buy a electric blue Omega Seamaster for $1200.

The SAR has a great no nonsense case and huge bezel. Good Lume and accuracy was good.

However I do not really think it is even inn the same class as the Omega. Both have excellent fit and finish but the details of the Omega are for my taste what makes it stand out. The domed sapphire crystal, the beautiful patterned dial. The MOD markings and sword hands. The awesome deeply engraved caseback. The chronometer movement which is not the same as the ETA 2824-2. The Omega has 23 jewels as far as I know and is extremely accurate. The Lume on both is superior.

I think both watches have strong and weak points. The bezel on the sar is very easy to turn while the Omega can be slippery if hands are wet. The SAR is way thicker which in my case made it easier to get dinged and scratched. Both use the same steel but the profile of the Omega lends to less scratches. The Omega was one of the most comfortable watches I have ever owned. The SAR was not quite as comfy.

So in summary I think both watches are great but if you want a watch with a chronometer movement and more detailed case and dial then the Omega is the one. Either way they are both great. I would get the Omega regardless of the extra cost in a heartbeat. IMHO of course.

Robzilla

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the GSar and a black dialed SMP. The heft of the Sar is definitely more noticable and the tritium tubes are very nice, but I consider mine more of a work/dive watch. You won't forget it's on your wrist, one heck of a profile to it and the bezel is a superior (IMO) to the SMP. I really like it and I don't worry about it getting banged around like I would the SMP.

The SMP is in a totally different class to me. The lume is excellent, the fit and finish on par for a $1000 + watch. On a bracelet it looks very classy. I also just picked up an Omega Planet Ocean w/the orange bezel when I was in Grand Cayman this week. It's more $ than the 300 and the looks are somewhat different, but there is no mistaking it as an SMP.

Don't know if you are planning on doing any traveling in the near future, but the Omegas can be had for a decent bit less in the Carribean. My PO came from Kirk Freeport and was about $500 less than the prices I've found in MD. My 300 was purchased in Cozumel 3 1/2 years ago and I paid just under $1100 at that time. Might be a good excuse to take a trip!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I do not really think it is a fair comparison but in my opinion they are both excellent watches.

I think a regular SAR with bracelet will cost you around $1000 or so depending on delivery and tax and where you live.

I was able to buy a electric blue Omega Seamaster for $1200.

The SAR has a great no nonsense case and huge bezel. Good Lume and accuracy was good.

However I do not really think it is even inn the same class as the Omega. Both have excellent fit and finish but the details of the Omega are for my taste what makes it stand out. The domed sapphire crystal, the beautiful patterned dial. The MOD markings and sword hands. The awesome deeply engraved caseback. The chronometer movement which is not the same as the ETA 2824-2. The Omega has 23 jewels as far as I know and is extremely accurate. The Lume on both is superior.

I think both watches have strong and weak points. The bezel on the sar is very easy to turn while the Omega can be slippery if hands are wet. The SAR is way thicker which in my case made it easier to get dinged and scratched. Both use the same steel but the profile of the Omega lends to less scratches. The Omega was one of the most comfortable watches I have ever owned. The SAR was not quite as comfy.

So in summary I think both watches are great but if you want a watch with a chronometer movement and more detailed case and dial then the Omega is the one. Either way they are both great. I would get the Omega regardless of the extra cost in a heartbeat. IMHO of course.

Robzilla
Let met get something straitened. The Omega uses the ETA 2892-A2 movement and not the ETA 2824-A2 movement. Also the quality of the movements (both) come in several gradients directly from ETA. You have low end movements and high end movements of both (read somewhere there are 5 gradients).

The 2824 is 5 mm thick and the 2892 is 3.5 mm thick. Omega has the geneva stripes on both back and front (under the dial) manufactured on the movement. Most compagnies don't put the stripes on the side underneath the dial. You have also the type of balance material, which can differ (regarding heat stabillity).

Bart

·
Registered
261 Posts
I own (and love) the Marathon SAR. The case probably is more robust than that of the Seamaster, but the Omega's implementation of the movement (both use ETA's 2824) is likely far superior, and likely to last far longer. For example, the Marathon's movement uses ETA's in-house Etachoc shock protection for the jewels, while the Omega uses the highly regarded Incabloc system. And this, one suspects, is only the tip of the iceberg.

Hi, If you look on the incabloc website they show what you are referring to as etachoc is the novodiac system. So it is made by incabloc also but I think it is a little cheaper. I know one thing, when handling the springs they seem to shoot off of my tweezers into a black hole never to be found again. I have some spares around when this happens. :-d Gsm

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I've owned an Omega 300M COSC Diver (Chrono) and presently own a brand-new Marathon SAR. The Omega is defintely more blingy and known because of brand cachet and "social awareness" of the name. And it has excellent wrist presence. But I always protected it, as I did not want to damage a watch that I had a whole bunch of money invested in.

Having said that, I just came back from a week of wearing my SAR under water (a dive holiday) and was really happy with being able to wear it under water all day and then rinse it off and wear it out for dinner, drinks and clubing. And it attracted a whole lot of attention, being on the Marathon S/S bracelet (which is one of the most comfortable and interesting-looking S/S bracelets that I have ever seen/worn, by the way).

The price point differential is actually not large, if you are buying a brand-new Marathon and a used Omega. but if you're comparing new-to-new, I'd save teh extra money for a second dive watch and buy the SAR. And the Tritium tubes are amazing, both underwater and at night.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I'd have both if I could afford it.

Ciao,

James

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Seamasters are beautiful and classic.
No comparison.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Seamasters are beautiful and classic.
No comparison.
I agree - Omega Seamasters are iconic, beautiful and classic and the Marathon, while a nice tool diver, is not in the same league as the Omega SMP.

I guess I am just letting my bad service experiences with Omega Canada tinge my opinion.

James

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
but they're not the same movement. the SAR uses a standard 2824 and the seamaster uses a customized 2892 - the latest version 2220.80 uses the co-axial 2500.

i would also strongly disagree that the seamaster is a dress diver. it has a proven track record of toughness. i'm of course referring to the non-coax model.

i think both watches are plenty tough and will serve you well as long as you remember that a watch is not meant to be substituted for a hammer.

same movement (omega's is COSC)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts