WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Omega Speedmaster Pro, Stowa Marine 36 KS, Sinn 104
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going down a bit of a Stowa rabbit hole at the moment. I'm shopping for a semi-casual watch. I have plenty of options for full-on-sportswatches in my rotation (Speedmaster Pro, Sinn 104, B-Uhr Flieger, etc.) and no need for a true dress watch. But I could see myself wearing something a bit more restrained, if that makes any sense. Key requirement: handwound (since getting my Omega Speedmaster I'm just madly in love with handwinding my mechanical watches).

I started getting interested in the Nomos Tangente 35, but quickly moved my attention to the Antea KS because it's just a tad more robust (e.g. slightly thicker lugs, etc.) which suits my 7.2" wrist better I reckon.

So, I was all set to get it and prepared myself for wearing a puny 35mm watch. And then I saw the Marine 36 with the small seconds. I love the polished case and the movement. But I'm worried that due to the more sleek design it may look too small on my wrist (i.e. optically smaller than the 35mm Antea).

I'm hoping for some insights, since there is very little to be found online about this model.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Below is my Stowa Marine 36 on the wrist. I have a 160mm wrist.(6.3in) Ive found that after wearing my TO2 which is far bigger (43mm) and hardly fits on the wrist, that the 36mm size can tend to look small. On your 7.2in wrist you may want to take a look at the 41mm version, it may fit better. But that all depends on how small/big you prefer your watches to look and how similar watches fit on your wrist.

Reactions: mightymiloquinn

·
Premium Member
32,411 Posts
I would suggest the 41mm as well. I had the 36 on my 6.75" (17.1cm) wrist and it was too small for my tastes.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both, that's helpful. I'm also looking at the 40mm+ models now (although at first glance I don't particularly like the placement of the sub-seconds dial on the 41 model.. it sits a bit too low compared to the 36mm model).

Choices, choices! ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I completely disagree with the opinion that lugs should cover your entire wrist, so I think the 36 mm is completely fine size-wise. I have taken a liking to smaller watches, they make your wrist look bigger versus a watch that cover your entire wrist, but that’s just me. I have the same size wirsts as you.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I completely disagree with the opinion that lugs should cover your entire wrist, so I think the 36 mm is completely fine size-wise. I have taken a liking to smaller watches, they make your wrist look bigger versus a watch that cover your entire wrist, but that’s just me. I have the same size wirsts as you.
The thing that makes it particularly tricky is that most wristshots are taken so close that the wide-angle distortion makes the watch look much bigger than it is in real life.

·
Registered
15,460 Posts
7 inch wrist here . . .

·
Registered
15,460 Posts
Thanks, that looks perfect on your wrist!

How's "the feel" of the handwinding?
Thanks! The winding is great, just the right amount of tactile resistance that I like . . .

Reactions: FRS

·
Registered
15,460 Posts
That looks incredible in natural light--the crown reflection in the polished bezel :love:
Thanks! Yes, I've been mightily impressed with this watch, so inocuous in Stowa pics but man what a beauty up close and personal . . .(y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great Stowa, with a heritage!
I think 6-38mm is the classic sweet spot on most wrists. However, it is all down to personal preferences.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's a matter of taste, isn't it, as long as the lugs don't hang over your wrist? If it fits and you like it, great. No one else's opinion matters.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hah... I keep going back and forth through the Stowa catalog. They just have so many great watches, and it's especially the smaller models that keep calling my name. I guess I just like the proportions on those diminutive pieces.

I've narrowed it down to the white dial Partitio and the Marine 36 KS (although sometimes I'm even looking at the Flieger 36, which becomes a totally different watch at 36 mm).

I think it's the Marine 36 that will eventually be the one, because that 7001 with the onion crown is just so yummy!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I actually don't find the Stowa 36 watches small. I'm used to vintage Japanese watches 35-38 cm, the difference between those and the Stowa 36mm watches is that the Stowa watches tend to have pretty long protruding lugs, which make them look not so proportional to my wrists.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For what it's worth (and apologies if this was pointed out already), but the watch is practically all dial with a sliver of a bezel. Combine that with a white color dial and you have a watch which will "appear bigger". I would personally go with the 36mm, but it is purely a matter of which size you feel more comfortable with. Either way, you're going to get an amazing Stowa! :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts