WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Omega Speedmaster Pro, Stowa Marine 36 KS, Sinn 104
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

When looking for a small, everyday-casual handwinder (I'm trying to avoid the word 'GADA') to complement my rotation of 40-42mm [mostly automatic] pieces I kept coming back to two German brands: Nomos and Stowa. Particularly Stowa has quite an appealing selection of watches in this category of smaller designs; the Partitio, Marine 36, Antea and even the Flieger 36 all fit the bill.

I kept changing my mind, trying to come to a rational decision. But I eventually decided on the Marine 36 Handwound. Not just because it's a beautifully designed and executed object which really sings to me on an aesthetic level, but also for what the Marine deck watch concept embodies.

After being cooped inside the home for the better part of a year now, there's a certain appeal in a watch that conjures up visions of adventurous exploration and naval conquest.

It turns out that one of my wife's great-great-great-[...]-grandfathers was head of the naval academy in Rotterdam in the late 18th century and wrote a handbook on marine navigation for the Dutch Admiralty. He would have admired this watch.

It took some getting used to the 36mm size on my ~7.5" (185mm) wrist. The proportions of this watch are so very different from e.g. my Speedmaster or Sinn pilot watch. The logical choice would have been to go for the 41mm Marine Original, but I really wanted a smaller watch to get out of my usual 40-42 range. And 36mm is the classic territory of military field watches and icons like the Explorer, the ur-GADA watch. When looking in the mirror the 36mm actually looks beautifully proportioned to my wrist and arm.

The Peseux 7001 movement was one of the reasons for picking this model. It's wonderfully thin and I like the look of the winding gears. Compared to e.g. the ETA 2804 it has a slightly 'cleaner' appearance which fits the teutonic style of the watch.

Being used to the ratchety sound and haptics of the Speedmaster's movement, the winding is smooth and quiet, but with a pleasing amount of resistance. The entire back of the watch reminds me of a porthole, which fits nicely with the marine design theme. :)

The watch runs ~11spd fast, which is just inside the promised range of +/- 15spd. Accuracy is not hyper important to me, but I had expected a bit more from a regulated top-grade movement. I have cheap Miyota powered watches that perform better. But since I have a rotation of watches that I go through, it's not a big deal.

The watch came in a huge box with lots of empty compartments. In fact it only contained the charming small wooden watchbox with the watch and warranty card inside. I suppose the big box contains a book and goodies if you're a Youtube reviewer, but in this case I guess they should have just sent the wooden box because this felt a bit odd and inefficient.

But then you look at those pretty blue hands, and all is right in the world.

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is one of my favorite watches currently. I love the simplicity of the design, entirely without any complications, no date window, no hacking, no rotors... not even a central second. The only thing I would've change about it is the new Stowa logo. It would've been perfect if it had the old logo.
I agree with the over-packaging from stowa. I think the giant cardboard box is pretty pointless. Even the small wooden box with 2/3 space taken up with nothingness seems silly to me.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is one of my favorite watches currently. I love the simplicity of the design, entirely without any complications, no date window, no hacking, no rotors... not even a central second. The only thing I would've change about it is the new Stowa logo. It would've been perfect if it had the old logo.
Yes it's a little gem, hidden in Stowa's portfolio. While I appreciate the heritage of the old logo, I think the new logo looks fine on this watch, and the dark gray is actually a better fit for this dial than the black of the old logo.

Pricey little things. Basic clean watch though.
Funny how Stowa is perceived as 'pricey' nowadays. It wasn't too long ago that it was seen as an affordable brand punching far above its weight class (in fact, I think they still are).

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yup, I still think this is the nicest watch Stowa offers at the moment. I'd buy one if I wasn't so uncertain how the economic crisis will play out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I prefer handwinders over automatics personally and the 36mm is a perfect dress watch size. I think your Stowa is an absolute gem - a very clean and classic design with a durable movement. :)

·
Registered
15,466 Posts
Great choice! I have an Antea and Marine 36, the way I like watches - hand wound and no date, really impressed with what is offered for prices paid . . .

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great choice! I have an Antea and Marine 36, the way I like watches - hand wound and no date, really impressed with what is offered for prices paid . . .
Some of your watch shots convinced me this was a very pretty watch! The Antea KS is also still high on my “some day soon” list.

·
Registered
15,466 Posts
Some of your watch shots convinced me this was a very pretty watch! The Antea KS is also still high on my “some day soon” list.
Neat! Will await Antea review/pics too (y)

Reactions: Buramu

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
(I'm trying to avoid the word 'GADA')
Thank you!! Everyday-casual sounds better than an overused acronym.

That's a very good looking, classy watch. Love the small seconds and no-date cleanliness. I think the 36mm is a great size for smaller wrists, especially when it's all dial and no thick bezel.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
View attachment 15570718

When looking for a small, everyday-casual handwinder (I'm trying to avoid the word 'GADA') to complement my rotation of 40-42mm [mostly automatic] pieces I kept coming back to two German brands: Nomos and Stowa. Particularly Stowa has quite an appealing selection of watches in this category of smaller designs; the Partitio, Marine 36, Antea and even the Flieger 36 all fit the bill.

View attachment 15570719

I kept changing my mind, trying to come to a rational decision. But I eventually decided on the Marine 36 Handwound. Not just because it's a beautifully designed and executed object which really sings to me on an aesthetic level, but also for what the Marine deck watch concept embodies.

View attachment 15570721

After being cooped inside the home for the better part of a year now, there's a certain appeal in a watch that conjures up visions of adventurous exploration and naval conquest.

It turns out that one of my wife's great-great-great-[...]-grandfathers was head of the naval academy in Rotterdam in the late 18th century and wrote a handbook on marine navigation for the Dutch Admiralty. He would have admired this watch.

View attachment 15570725

It took some getting used to the 36mm size on my ~17.5" (185mm) wrist. The proportions of this watch are so very different from e.g. my Speedmaster or Sinn pilot watch. The logical choice would have been to go for the 41mm Marine Original, but I really wanted a smaller watch to get out of my usual 40-42 range. And 36mm is the classic territory of military field watches and icons like the Explorer, the ur-GADA watch. When looking in the mirror the 36mm actually looks beautifully proportioned to my wrist and arm.

View attachment 15570724

The Peseux 7001 movement was one of the reasons for picking this model. It's wonderfully thin and I like the look of the winding gears. Compared to e.g. the ETA 2804 it has a slightly 'cleaner' appearance which fits the teutonic style of the watch.

Being used to the ratchety sound and haptics of the Speedmaster's movement, the winding is smooth and quiet, but with a pleasing amount of resistance. The entire back of the watch reminds me of a porthole, which fits nicely with the marine design theme. :)

View attachment 15570726

The watch runs ~11spd fast, which is just inside the promised range of +/- 15spd. Accuracy is not hyper important to me, but I had expected a bit more from a regulated top-grade movement. I have cheap Miyota powered watches that perform better. But since I have a rotation of watches that I go through, it's not a big deal.

View attachment 15570728

The watch came in a huge box with lots of empty compartments. In fact it only contained the charming small wooden watchbox with the watch and warranty card inside. I suppose the big box contains a book and goodies if you're a Youtube reviewer, but in this case I guess they should have just sent the wooden box because this felt a bit odd and inefficient.

But then you look at those pretty blue hands, and all is right in the world.

View attachment 15570729
Congratulations on your latest addition. I got mine about a year ago and I love it

·
Registered
4 Posts
How long have you had it? I know they do plenty of their own "break-in" testing before shipping it out but mine started out ~8-10 spd fast and after 3-4 weeks or so has settled into +4-6 spd depending on activity and such.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How long have you had it? I know they do plenty of their own "break-in" testing before shipping it out but mine started out ~8-10 spd fast and after 3-4 weeks or so has settled into +4-6 spd depending on activity and such.
Interesting, I’ll track it over a longer period to see if it changes.

What could cause such a break in process? Lubricants spreading more evenly or something?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Very nice and photos! I'm torn between the Classic 36 and the Classic 36 Hand Wound. Since I already have the Antea KS, I've been leaning towards the former, just to add movement variety to my collection. But, the small seconds sub-dial on a marine watch is such a ubiquitous feature of the type, it's difficult to settle.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice and photos! I'm torn between the Classic 36 and the Classic 36 Hand Wound. Since I already have the Antea KS, I've been leaning towards the former, just to add movement variety to my collection. But, the small seconds sub-dial on a marine watch is such a ubiquitous feature of the type, it's difficult to settle.
Ha, I can see the dilemma! Personally I'm a sucker for small seconds (and they are really part of the Marine look), but the sweeping seconds bring more 'life' to the watch. Also, the Hand Wound is a bit more svelte, but the regular Marine 36 has a bit more body. Take your pick! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts