• Something else at or below $400

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've been reading the forums a lot over the last couple weeks. I'm in the market for a watch around $350. I want something simple/elegant. The two watches that I'm interested in right now are the IWI Marine Diver http://internationalwatchman.com/watches/marinediverautoss.html[img]
and a Seiko Spirit (SCVS003).[img]http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~jgauch/watch/seiko_6000/SCVS003-02.jpg[img]

Does anyone have experience owning these two watches? Would you care to comment? I could use some input from owners on: fit/finish, movement, reliability, overall experience etc. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Marine Diver, but last night it was the Seiko....:-s.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Welcome aboard pm!
2 lovely watches you're considering, albeit with very different looks.
I've owned neither so can't help directly but would advise using the always handy forum search function if you haven't already.
I do recall several ppl. have had less than stellar service/communication with IWI but otoh others are happy.
I will say it's hard to go wrong with a Seiko at any price in all of the criteria you mention.
Good luck and hope you visit and post often!

·
Registered
65 Posts
For that price I've been drooling over the new Aplinist

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that Alpinist is really nice! Is the compass what makes is so much more expensive than a spirit (~$120)?

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Not sure, but the Spirits normally cost around $300 and that Alpinist is usually closer to $400. But it is 20Bar resistant, is it Ti? I'd also imagine they are a bit more rare...

Edit: I misunderstood your post, the Alpinist is around $120 more than the Spirit... brain fart on my part... thought you were saying the Spirit was around $120...

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Alpinist is antimagnetic, but I'm not sure about the Spirits

V

·
0 Posts
The alpinist is an altogether more robust watch than the Spirit, which is dressy. The sports features account for the price difference. The compass does not function like a real one. Instead you can use it to estimate directions using the sun.

As for the original q, I will say the 2 watches are purpose built for different env. The spirit is a dressy watch suitable for a suit and tie or a casual evening downtown. The diver, well... the name says it all doesn't it?

As to originality, I'll have to give it to Seiko, which has a fit and finish befitting a watch several times its price. Almost all Seikos do, but esp. the Japan only models. The movement is new. It hacks and handwinds. Accuracy has been very good right out of the box (under 10s p/d, some owners report 2-10 s a week!)

Can't comment about the IWI. Never had one.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Talk about two very different styles of watch. As others have already stated, it would be nice to know how you plan to wear the watch (work vs play, dress vs casual). I think the Spirit looks like a great watch and everything I have heard about it is extremely positive. My only concern is that it is rather small at 37mm. The spirit would be a much more practical everyday/everywhere watch and is suitable for a greater range of wearing environments. It might also have greater long term appeal since it is not a "homage" and won't leave you wishing for "the real thing."

I have a Marine Diver and it has met my expectations for a "casual play" watch. I purchased from Ron at IWI a few months back and responses to my questions were met in a timely manner and I did not have any problems with the order (although I recognize this may not always be the case). The watch seems well built and has been quite accurate regarding time-keeping. His current product, of which mine is an example, is shipping with the silver colored eta 2824 (as opposed to the gold colored ones I've seen pictures of) and has the IWI logo engraved on the rotor (a nice touch considering the price point). I will say that the Marine Diver is one of the few watches that I own that non WIS seem to be favorably interested in and really notice (although that really says more about Panerai that IWI). Also, the lume is not particularly strong.
Here is a shot on the wrist:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Euthymic. I would like the watch to be "casual play" watch, but I would like it to be on the dressy side of that style. That's my own, subjective, idea. I like the style of each watch, but the problem is that I can't go to a store, hold each in my hand, and get an impression for which I like more. That Alpinist is really tempting.....

·
Registered
780 Posts
The main difference to consider is that the Seikos are both 'standard' man's watches a little under 40mm across, while the Marine Diver is a big, clunky watch with a 46mm diameter that really makes a statement...and won't fit under a shirt cuff too well. It shouldn't be too difficult to find some department store fashion watches of the same size to give you an idea of the difference...

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I own both...and the are both very nice watches, BUT, if I had to choose one, I would choose the Seiko Spirit for a multitude of reasons:
1) SEIKO builds it.
2) 6R15 Hand windable - hacking movement ....every bit as good as the ETA 2428-2
3) SEIKO builds it.
4) Classic design.."pretty" enough for dress and "cool" enough for casual.
5) SEIKO builds it.
6) Looks great on strap or bracelet (black alligator really does the "dress" job)

and last, but not least...
7) SEIKO builds it!:-!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I just purchased a IWI Marine Diver 44mm unitas on a ss bracelet and can highly recommend it. The watch is ALL swiss, gorgeous, thick, and heavy yet very comfortable to wear. Why on earth would you want a seiko? The IWI is almost identical to the Panerai and is finished beautifully. The IWI website is cheesey but their watches are of the utmost quality. Go with the IWI, you won't be sorry, and leave that seiko at Walmart!

·
Registered
65 Posts
The IWI website is cheesey but their watches are of the utmost quality. Go with the IWI, you won't be sorry, and leave that seiko at Walmart!
When it comes to reliability and excellent manufacturing, I would put Seiko ahead of IWI. The Spirit's 6r15 movement is supposed to be a pleasure to use, and the Seiko just looks better overall (I hate cyclops crystals)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I just purchased a IWI Marine Diver 44mm unitas on a ss bracelet and can highly recommend it. The watch is ALL swiss, gorgeous, thick, and heavy yet very comfortable to wear. Why on earth would you want a seiko? The IWI is almost identical to the Panerai and is finished beautifully. The IWI website is cheesey but their watches are of the utmost quality. Go with the IWI, you won't be sorry, and leave that seiko at Walmart!
:oops: Obviously, you don't understand the hierarchy of Seiko products. I think you would be hard pressed to find a Seiko Spirit at WalMart. My Marine Diver is an IWI product, and while it is a fine watch, it does not compare in quality and fit & finish to the Seiko Spirit (even though the Seiko Spirit was a less expensive watch). The Seiko 6R15 movement is every bit the movement that the ETA 2824-2 movement is, and, IMO, much more durable (not to mention, nicely finished and decorated).

The WalMart attitude toward Seiko appears to be somewhat snobbish, whether or not you meant it to be. Seiko quality is superb, and in their upper echelon watches like the Grand Seiko, it is superior to most Swiss products. I would trade my Rolex GMT Master II for the equivalent Grand Seiko GMT or Grand Seiko GMT Spring Dive in a heartbeat.

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=50204
http://www.pmwf.com/cgi-bin/Forum/webbbs_config.cgi?noframes;read=1331748

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I would agree with that, Ken.
The spring drive is a grail mvt to me. Some day - I will have one!
regards, Dave

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I'd bet just barely enough of the IWI watches are "Swiss" to qualify though I don't know this as fact.
You need to do a bit of research about Seiko obviously. ;-)

·
4,071 Posts
I would go one step further and bet that the only thing Swiss about IWI watches are the movements. I don't know that for a fact, but I'm seriously suspiscious about the validity of the "Swiss" or "Swiss Made" label for those watches.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts