WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you who have handled and/or owned both, which one would you choose? Is the Marine Master worth the extra $1300.00-$1400.00? I cannot make up my mind to pull the trigger on a Sumo or hold off for the Marine Master. Thank you for your input.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
You will want to read this existing thread on this subject. It will give you a lot of input which will help you make a decision:

Seiko Sumo vs. MarineMaster

As I see it, the Sumo is a superb watch and a phenomenal value. However the marine master really is that much nicer, and in many ways it is also an excellent value when compared to watches in the high end of the market. The sumo's borrows much of it's styling inspiration from the marine master, but it is not a comparable or a replacement for it. IMHO, I would advice you to try out a sumo first, since they are much less expensive. If you like it, great, if you don't, then it is an easy thing to resell it on the forums (definitely an easier sale than a Marine Master in these financial times).

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
For those of you who have handled and/or owned both, which one would you choose? Is the Marine Master worth the extra $1300.00-$1400.00? I cannot make up my mind to pull the trigger on a Sumo or hold off for the Marine Master. Thank you for your input.
Yes, I think the MM300 is worth the extra cash. Fantastic high-end movement, relatively rare monocoque case, beautiful hands and dial, unique bezel, great clasp on the bracelet, etc. It really is better in every way IMHO, but it's hard to realize this just from pictures. When you hold a MM in your hand, you know it's something special. That being said, the Sumo is still a great watch, and it's very hard to beat in the bang-for-buck category. But it's not really fair to compare it to one of the all-time greats like the MM.

I'd suggest trying to pick up a used Sumo to tide you over until you get a Marinemaster. You should be able to flip it for close to what you paid for it when the time comes.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Oh boy :-d...

I've got all three Sumos and a few Marine Masters. I'm assuming you're talking about the 300m Marine Master SBDX001, but I still want to ask which you're refferring to.

So, for now I'll assume you mean the 300m MM. And is the 300m MM worth more than the Sumo? Um...yes. There...that's the quick answer.

But really, the comparison is ridiculous. How about this (for those living in the US): is a Chevrolet Corvette really a better car and worth more than a Chevrolet Aveo? Of course it's better...and of course it's worth it. But it's only worth it to those that pay for it...and if you don't think it's worth it, then don't buy it. The Corvette also costs at least 5 times as much as an Aveo (just like the 300MM vs the Sumo)...so should they really be compared?

If you can't decide between the two based on the significant differences in specifications, features, and design/looks then a simple look at the pricing will guide you. Do you need a watch "right now"? If you do, which can you afford to buy "right now"? If you don't need one immediately, how long of a wait until you can afford the 300m MM? Do you have a problem with being patient and waiting that amount of time?

Also, would you prefer new or used? A decent Sumo seems to go for around $350. A decent 300m MM seems to go for around $1500 (yes...these prices vary in both up and down directions). For the price of the used 300m MM you could buy all three Sumos, plus a Monster, and buy a Spirit. You could probably squeeze in an SKX007 or relative too. Do you want a collection of great watches, or do you want one watch to "do it all"?

If you simply want a watch to tell time to a decent degree of accuracy, go get a watch from a cereal box, strap it on, and go. For anything more (quality, style, accuracy, engineering, name brand) you need to decide what you want in a watch and focus on what you want...try to "tick your boxes"...but remember... there will be compromises everywhere.

That said...if you save up and get the Sumo, you can of course save up for longer and get the MM. But if you save up for and get the MM I doubt you'll worry about saving up and getting a Sumo.

That is...unless you're afraid to scratch the MM...in which case...you can then get the Sumo. But once you get it, you'll think "geez...I don't want to scratch this either". Then...you'll be on the hunt for a "beater"...so save yourself a headache and a lot of cash and get a G Shock if you foresee yourself going down that path.

Heh heh...the real question you should be asking is "Is a used 300m MM really worth 10 used/gray market Orange or Black Monsters??". :-d:-d:-d

·
G-Shock Mod
14,272 Posts
if you just want the watch to tell time, then no, its not worth the extra $$$$

if you enjoy finer things in life, then yes, and btw, the MM is an exceptional bang for bucks! |>

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Like Topher said, it all comes down to whether you will value the MM enough to warrant the extra money.

I know that one day I'll own a MM (the Spring Drive would be fantastic!), but for now I'm very happy buying grey market watches in the neighborhood of $200 and going from there. As a college student, it makes more sense for me to own 6-7 very nice watches vs. spending all of that money on a single watch.

I tend to think that, when spending that kind of dough on a watch, you'd better love the hell out of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Sumo is a tuned instrument. The MM is a finely tuned instrument.

Looking at them side by side they are pretty similar. It isn't until you pick them up and handle both, looking at every detail, that you truly see and feel the MM's superior quality.

My advice, get the MM if it's in your budget you won't regret it...at all. If not, the Sumo is a close second.|>

·
Registered
256 Posts
like what many had said here. Having handle both of them (sumo and MM300). yes Mm300 is worth every bit. Finishing, workmanship and the quality are all notches above the sumo. Go for it. Maybe try to nap a pre-owned one online (i do see a few being in the sale/trading forum) that way if it does not match your liking, then the damage is not too big.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sumo is a really nice watch, and at it's price point it is an excellent buy IMO.

MM is an excellent watch no doubt about that at all, but at it's price point it has some serious competition... Omega and Breitling come to mind, swiss made, COSC certification, saphire crystals and some models are cheaper... I don't mean to diminish the MM at all, just to point out at it's price point it has serious competition. Actually to say it another way, at the MM's price point you would expect it to have serious competition, and it does.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I agree with you on the competition. Not so long ago you could get a new MM from Higuchi for $1300. Now @ $2000 you're in a different ballgame.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
The sumo's case quality is up there with the MM. IMO you are paying for the movement of the MM. Also the MM has that nice clasp but you can always get that for 60 bucks separately.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
The sumo's case quality is up there with the MM. IMO you are paying for the movement of the MM. Also the MM has that nice clasp but you can always get that for 60 bucks separately.
That's just the apparent differences, but they do go much deeper than that.

The monocoque case on the MM is much harder to build. the watch is full of small little machined details that are also more expensive to make. The dial is constructed very differently from the Sumo dial, the clcik mechanism is similar but higher grade; the sealing is heavier duty; etc.

You are definitely paying for quite a bit more than a movement. Perhaps what you are paying is added labor and not as much content, but you are definitely getting something for your money.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Seiya's price on the Sumo just recently went up to $540 in case anyone is interested. I paid $480 when I bought mine a month or two ago.

I don't recall what the previous price on the MM was.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Seiya's price on the Sumo just recently went up to $540 in case anyone is interested. I paid $480 when I bought mine a month or two ago.

I don't recall what the previous price on the MM was.

Kevin
Yes Just yesterday CHINO has increased 20US to all their watches. And the current economy? :-x One thing I'm afraid about is that people has this so called thing "bang for the buck" idea when it comes to seiko and if they keep increasing, well for a certain point is fine but something like Seiko's new SBDC007 line would be a little off.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
I wonder if when the current pricing pressures on the yen ease up, whether these price will be adjusted accordingly? I have a feeling that that won't be the case.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
I wonder if when the current pricing pressures on the yen ease up, whether these price will be adjusted accordingly? I have a feeling that that won't be the case.
From what I see, even if they readjust the price, only a certain percentage of it will be readjusted. I think the prices will not be fully recovered even even if the yen ease up. It's been like this and SUMO is now 488 already. :-x:-x

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
If you can afford it get the marinemaster...classic icon watch...will live forever.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts