WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to be a lot of interest in how a NATO looks on the new Mark II. Matter of fact, even the folks at the Omega Boutique hadn't seen it, or even the watch without the bracelet.

So we had a bit of fun on Sunday. My friend Sasan asked if I would bring in my Mark II, so we could try a NATO on it. It was something that I would not attempt myself, as the watch really has no lugs, and the "lug holes" are so tight with the case and the spring bars. Anyway, I decided to take some photos of the process.

First time I have seen the watch without it's bracelet attached. My bracelet clasp actually looks quite worn. It is my at work watch, so it gets the most wrist time of all:

Here's the 20mm groove at the end of the case, into which the end link of the bracelet fits:

The end link is actually 20mm and the rest of the bracelet is 22mm:

Pair of curved spring bars:

Spring bar inserted. You can see how really tight it is against the case. In fact, it is so tight that the NATO - the Omega NATO being quite thick - actually couldn't be fitted through the small gap between the spring bar and case. The NATO had to be positioned properly first, then the spring bar attached over it. Not a thing I would want to try myself, as applying the force would likely cause my hand to slip:

There is the spring bar in position. You have to make sure that the NATO is in exactly the correct position on the case, before applying the spring bar. It's just too tight to pull the strap through. A snug fit indeed, which makes me a bit uneasy for some reason. Although I doubt that spring bar will come undone:

Fairly obvious from this photo why a curved spring bar is required:

Various wrist shots with the NATO attached. I think it really looks good:

My biggest concern was that the watch would really feel top heavy on the NATO. Not so at all. Actually maybe even more comfortable that the bracelet. Nevertheless, I can't see myself ever switching out the bracelet for a NATO. And I certainly wouldn't recommend trying it unless you are really used to changing straps and bracelets on a regular basis.

Thanks a lot to Sasan and the others at the Boutique for another entertaining couple of hours!

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It looks good on the nato :-!

but I can see why the curved spring bars give you at uneasy feeling.

The only thing I dont like about nato's is that they add a few mm to the height of the watch but it looks ok in your pics

·
Registered
583 Posts
Wow. I think the MKII looks fantastic on that NATO. Unfortunately, the tight space between the spring bar and case would probably prevent me from wearing it on a NATO. Too bad, though. I really like it!

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I like it on the nato.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I. Munda

Reactions: carlhaluss

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
With the ratcheting clasp, I'd leave it on bracelet.

JLC NS Auto is tight as well. I got around it by using a leather Horween Nato that Myron at Rover HAven straps made me. It's ultra thin leather. I miss that watch. :(

·
Premium Member
9,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the ratcheting clasp, I'd leave it on bracelet.

JLC NS Auto is tight as well. I got around it by using a leather Horween Nato that Myron at Rover HAven straps made me. It's ultra thin leather. I miss that watch. :(

I agree. Not only is the clasp excellent, but the entire bracelet is so beautifully done, and perfect for the watch. While it was nice to see it on a NATO, it is going to stay on the bracelet.

Although I really love the quality of the Omega NATO straps, I believe that in this case it's necessary to find a thinner altenative, such as the one on your JLC.

Cheers,
Carl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts